LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
slipstream5
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu, Korora, SalixOs,

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
can't get colord to work with xfce desktop and xiccd started as user

Hello,

I am using Ubuntu Studio 20.04 for applications such as Cinelerra, Krita and the Gimp with one wide gamut monitor and another HD monitor. I had to use Ubuntu Studio 18.04 to run DisplayCal (which is not working in Ubuntu 20 yet) to calibrate and profile my monitor. I have tried loading the resulting profile in both releases, 18 and 20.

The profile doesn't load completely, namely the colord portion fails since it won't run in Xfce desktop environment.

Quote:
ArgylCMS and the Profile Loader reports OK, but colord fails after “Querying for profile ‘icc…’ returned after 20 seconds.”

I tried loading profile with xcalib but I still need xiccd to run properly to support colord portion of the profile.

I found some info on another forum that was discussing systemd...

Quote:
You should make sure that xiccd is started as user with the DISPLAY= environment variable correctly set. Do not try to start as root.
Quote:
This is the reason why xiccd exists. The colord daemon does most of color management things. But there are things that must be done from user's session. In Gnome or Cinnamon they're done by the session's settings daemon. But some DEs have no such daemon or don't support color management. A user of such a DE should start xiccd somewhere from session autostart. It may be done with systemd too, but it's not to be done in the system-global systemd, it's user-specific and DE-specific. Most DEs use XDG autostart to do the trick.
Quote:
You should make sure that xiccd is started as user with the DISPLAY= environment variable correctly set. Do not try to start as root.
The user of the forum goes on to mention that his system uses SystemD instead of XDG autostart...

I'm confused and wondering if anyone knows what code should I use exactly to get xiccd running at autostart.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:03 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream5 View Post
The user of the forum goes on to mention that his system uses SystemD instead of XDG autostart...
This is definitely wrong, or at least badly pgrased. XDG autostart and systemd are not mutually exclusive.

Some reading:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ICC_profiles
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ofile_monitors

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:09 AM   #3
slipstream5
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu, Korora, SalixOs,

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Wink

Hello,

I got the profile to load in both UbuntuStudio 18 and 20!

xiccd once installed loads automatically in applicaton autostart so it can talk with colord.

For UStudio18, not clear if setting up xcalib command in autostart worked. Removing the other profiles from .local/share/icc got the correct profile loaded and persisted after reboot. Could be verified with colord
Code:
colormgr get-devices
as the first profile listed is the default. (I couldn't figure out how to properly set the default via terminal).

For UStudio20 I installed xiccd and it went into application autostart automatically. The gui colour profile loader for XFCE seems to work fine (but not in Ubuntu18). All I had to do was to copy my .icc file to /usr/share/color/icc/colord/ and upon reboot the correct profile was set as default as well as for my second monitor, as confirmed by the color profile loader application.

Note: I was looking everywhere for how to load .icc profile, came across systemd discussion!

Thanks for the links ondoho! Will mark as solved!

Last edited by slipstream5; 05-31-2020 at 04:21 AM.

Tags
autostart, color, displays, profile, xfce4 desktop