LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #16
bscho

Distribution: Mint 20, Kali, Peppermint, Ubuntu, MakuluFlash, Fedora 32, Windows 12 Lite, MakuluLinux

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
I think you miss the point.
Windows users taking up Linux does not really help with Linux development. Copying Windows is pointless and creates problems both for those of us using Linux and seeing pathetic "windows" features wasting time and space and problems for previous Windows users who find a problem Windows knowledge cannot fix.
Linux needs more Linux users not more Windows users wanting it to be more like Windows.
You have it all wrong there are no Windows features all they have is the addition of the Windows wallpaper. I also give instructions how to install and set up the best desktop in 5 minutes and even a Windows user can figure it out.

I have tried to get many Windows users to use Linux when they ask for a program that is expensive that has a Linux equivalent, or they ask for anti virus software. They are reluctant mainly because they want a Windows desktop. This is to get them to use it.

I can see a lot of Linux users who hate the idea of others using Linux because they like to feel superior. The superior ones are those that stick with infectious Windows and refuse any effort to find a better operating system when they are using the worlds worst operating system. They just love shelling out money.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #17
bscho

Distribution: Mint 20, Kali, Peppermint, Ubuntu, MakuluFlash, Fedora 32, Windows 12 Lite, MakuluLinux

Original Poster
Quote:
Misleading people is stupid and bad.
Never seek to mislead or otherwise coerce people -- that just makes you deplorable.
Like you do perhaps. See the website and try to understand, or do you want to feel superior because you use Linux?

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #18
bscho

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
I applaud folks who make the many distro's. I'm sure not all will survive the test of time. They however are made to be "something" for some folks. Be in claims like speed, ease, appearance or what not they are made with hard work for others to enjoy and use. Is there a bad Linux? Well, yes if it doesn't protect your data well but other than that each member on this forum has a right to try distros.

I guess if I knew a person who loved (or just barely understood) W10 and they asked me to change it, this may be a choice I guess.
Now Mandrake as a start when machines were going over to Windows from text input. Mandrake as good but that did not make it. Redhat I started with 5 and had a server for Websites on it. Redhat was good now they charge for it so I went to Fedora which I think is better than Red Hat but have still kept the Red Hat shirt and on the back it says Red Hat mobile I do not understand that?

Old 01-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #19
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011
OP: If you want to help people switch to Linux then do so and stop posting inflammatory remarks like
Quote:
I can see a lot of Linux users who hate the idea of others using Linux because they like to feel superior.
or
Quote:
Like you do perhaps. See the website and try to understand, or do you want to feel superior because you use Linux?

Remarks like this don't help the community, they create animosity and only make people think you are a troll. If your idea is to get Windows users to move to Linux, that's fine and good but your posts should be something constructive and not something argumentative.

The easiest way to contribute to the community is to ask and answer questions politely.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #20
jsbjsb001

Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.

Rep: Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendogsbsd View Post
OP is trolling - all his/her threads are like this.
Yep, the OP (bscho) is clearly a troll that doesn't have a clue what they are talking about, period.

What surprises me is that people are still responding to their utterly pointless threads... like fly's to s*it...

Carry on folks, don't mind the people that use Linux because it ISN'T Winblows Windows...

Old 01-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #21
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanwks View Post
I actually did look at that site when they posted it the other day. They're installing standard Linux distros and replacing the desktop wallpaper with the default Win10 wallpaper and calling it "Super Windows 10". That's all. (...)

It's actually quite hilarious, would be more hilarious if they weren't actually *selling* copies of this and calling it "Super Windows 10". Anyway the whole thing reminds me of that crazy "Time Cube" website.
So OP is not (only) a troll but (also) a spammer?
Reported again.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #22
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscho View Post
What you, personally, are doing when trying to persuade people to use Linux instead of Windows is what I see as misguided.
What I took issue with was the suggestion that Linux developers should make Linux look more like Windows.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #23
bscho

Original Poster
Quote:
What you, personally, are doing when trying to persuade people to use Linux instead of Windows is what I see as misguided.
What I took issue with was the suggestion that Linux developers should make Linux look more like Windows.
They already do even Linux Mint is following the same route dumbiing down what was one of the best operating systems, because they alleged Gimp was to complicated. Lite and Manjaro has already done it. Look at the amount of videos now that promote the same idea.
My forecast is Manjaro will now win over Mint 19.2.

It is from years of experience with those who hate the idea of Linux. Selling at a computer fair Windows and Linux those that refused to entertain the thought of using a new operating system always said it was because they did not want to look at anything that did not have a Windows 10 desktop.

It is the reason that Lite and especially Manjaro were made. They recognize this fact. Here in the UK it is because of the bad education system that only teaches Windows. Worst still our NHS uses it even though our medical records can be hacked or even edited.

If both were taught in school students would say well why on earth should we use Windows as it is the worlds worst operating system and we have to pay for it with money including bitcoins when they get ransomware because of slow Windows..

Old 01-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #24
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011
All Linux distros are identical (for the most part) without a desktop or window manager. There is no difference between Mint, Manjaro, etc, if only at the command line, except for package management. If one distro doesn't suite your needs, use another that isn't "dumbed down".

Old 01-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #25
bscho

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendogsbsd View Post
All Linux distros are identical (for the most part) without a desktop or window manager. There is no difference between Mint, Manjaro, etc, if only at the command line, except for package management. If one distro doesn't suite your needs, use another that isn't "dumbed down".
There are big differences especially between Mint and Manjaro. Manjaro is a racehorse where Mint has been nobbled with 19.3.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #26
Crippled

Distribution: MX Linux 21.3 Xfce

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
There are big differences especially between Mint and Manjaro. Manjaro is a racehorse where Mint has been nobbled with 19.3.
Manjaro is a farce just like 99% of it's users and 100% of it's lying developers. The only thing I agree with you is Linux mint is slow compare to most other Linux distros but at least it works unlike Manjaro. I have used both so I know from experience.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #27
bscho

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled View Post
Manjaro is a farce just like 99% of it's users and 100% of it's lying developers. The only thing I agree with you is Linux mint is slow compare to most other Linux distros but at least it works unlike Manjaro. I have used both so I know from experience.
Never heard this before I have no problems with it.

Have you tried Manjaro 18.1.5 yet? Try it again I think it is better than Mint 19.2 and definitely better than the dumbed down 19.3 version.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #28
Crippled

Distribution: MX Linux 21.3 Xfce

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Never heard this before I have no problems with it.

Have you tried Manjaro 18.1.5 yet? Try it again I think it is better than Mint 19.2 and definitely better than the dumbed down 19.3 version.
I guess you are in a different galaxy than I am that has a completely different reality than in the Milky Way. With how bad my experience with Manjaro was I would never try it again even if my life depended on it.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #29
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Quote:
They already do even Linux Mint is following the same route dumbiing down what was one of the best operating systems, because they alleged Gimp was to complicated. Lite and Manjaro has already done it. Look at the amount of videos now that promote the same idea.
My forecast is Manjaro will now win over Mint 19.2.

It is from years of experience with those who hate the idea of Linux. Selling at a computer fair Windows and Linux those that refused to entertain the thought of using a new operating system always said it was because they did not want to look at anything that did not have a Windows 10 desktop.

It is the reason that Lite and especially Manjaro were made. They recognize this fact.
I don't know Manjaro but I know Mint because I did use it for a few years. Mint's trying to be Windows was precisely what stopped me using it and why, to my mind, it's not as popular as it could be.
Linux really does not need people using it who want Windows or who want to be told how to use an OS -- the latter should just use Mac OS. Linux forums do not need to be full of "I downloaded cleanmycomputer.exe but it will not run" threads. People who actually care about how their computers work will choose their OS based upon actual usability and features* -- those who do not choose their OS should take Windows 10, Mac OS, Chrome OS or Android and deal with it.

*I have colleagues who use Windows because they like to game -- they know it's spyware and pathetic but they choose to run it because they can't get the games they like on Linux. No amount of changing wallpaper will change that fact.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:01 AM   #30
bscho

Original Poster
Quote:
I don't know Manjaro but I know Mint because I did use it for a few years. Mint's trying to be Windows was precisely what stopped me using it and why, to my mind, it's not as popular as it could be.
Linux really does not need people using it who want Windows or who want to be told how to use an OS -- the latter should just use Mac OS. Linux forums do not need to be full of "I downloaded cleanmycomputer.exe but it will not run" threads. People who actually care about how their computers work will choose their OS based upon actual usability and features* -- those who do not choose their OS should take Windows 10, Mac OS, Chrome OS or Android and deal with it.

*I have colleagues who use Windows because they like to game -- they know it's spyware and pathetic but they choose to run it because they can't get the games they like on Linux. No amount of changing wallpaper will change that fact.
Yes gamers have much better games on Windows. However they can experience the games on Linux and have Windows games as well they just dual boot.

Then they will have the great desktop Manjaro or Lite or Cinnamon with Mint.

The games on Linux are free. The NVidia drivers have also been overcome now which gamers like so Linux is not a problem there anymore.

perhaps some gamers would like to dual boot with Lite or Manjaro and tell us of their experience?

Last edited by bscho; 01-25-2020 at 11:03 AM.