LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
bennypr0fane

Distribution: Manjaro, Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
network printer authentication prompt is not shown

Hello, I can't get Kubuntu 18.04 on my laptop to connect to my university's network printer,
It's this model: https://www.sharp.com.hk/en/download/711-MX-6070N and it's shared through smb.
I've tried reaching it through a smb:// and lpd:// URI prefixes over the university wlan.
I've tried printer setup both in system settings and in the Cups web interface at localhost:631. I installed it using a ppd file from Sharp website.
Once I complete installation (I reach the screen for Printer description: Name, location: the "Continue" button is not clickable here, I can only click "Finish"), in Kubuntu printer setup, nothing happens - the printer is not in list.
According to our helpdesk, the problem is there is never an authentication prompt asking for UID and password. That's also the case when I include my UID in the URI to locate the printer.

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 10-23-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:06 AM   #2
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2690Reputation: 2690Reputation: 2690Reputation: 2690Reputation: 2690Reputation: 2690Reputation: 2690Reputation: 2690Reputation: 2690Reputation: 2690Reputation: 2690
I seem to recall having to set up such printers in SAMBA rather than directly in CUPS to get that working right.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
bennypr0fane

Distribution: Manjaro, Kubuntu

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeckham View Post
I seem to recall having to set up such printers in SAMBA rather than directly in CUPS to get that working right.
Never heard of setting up a printer *in Samba*... sound like I'd need admin access to printer/network?

Old 10-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
camorri
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Slackware 15.0, current, slackware-arm-currnet

Rep: Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848
If the server is a linux server, then you can ignore Samba and connect to it through cups. You do need some info on the server, queue name, and being a university, probably the IP address of the server. I'm guessing its a linux server, since linux runs Samba for windoze network sharing.

If it in fact is a Windows server, the game changes. You can still print to a windows system without using windows sharing.
I just went through that mess.

The reason you can not get the log on, thank Mr Gates and company. That logon is supplied through SMB1 protocol, which has been removed from windoze, and now removed from Version 4 Samba. Minimum protocol supported now is SMB 2.1. You can still see samba shares, including printers if you use smbclient -L biosname (of the win server).

Tags
network printing, printer