LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile
User Name
Password
Linux - Mobile This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Mobile Linux. This includes Android, Tizen, Sailfish OS, Replicant, Ubuntu Touch, webOS, and other similar projects and products.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2019, 04:32 AM   #1
helx
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Recover data from broken android phone

Hello everybody!
I've been having a problem for some time and I am trying to fix it.
I have a phone, more specific a Huawei P9 Lite 2017 and I broke my touchscreen and my display.
The phone still works, but i can't see anything, nor use the touchscreen.
My problem is that i am trying to recover my contacts from this phone and I mean the ones that are stored in the internal memory.
With the phone turned on, when i connect it via usb cable, my operating system recognise it, but I cannot access any of the files because it connects to "charging" mode, not even in "mtp" mode.
Also, the phone doesn't have USB Debugging mode enabled and I don't have a backup stored somewhere else.
I tried using mtp-detect on my linux and it gives me a lot of information about the phone, but with one error: Error 1: Get Storage information failed.
My question is if there is any way to recover the contacts from the phone, and how to do it.
Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #2
tyler2016

Distribution: Debian, CentOS, FreeBSD

Have you considered replacing the screen? You can probably buy a new screen for less than $50. I'd be surprised if there isn't a youtube video walking you through the procedure. You will probably also have to buy an inexpensive tool kit and a heat gun.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
helx
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
@tyler2016 I did thought about replacing the broken pieces and i do know that is not expensive.
I didn't do that though, because, due to the fall that phone took, it bent a little, so i am not sure exactly if it's even possible. Even if it is, i will not use that phone in the future, that's why i was trying to recover those contacts.
But now, I'm pretty sure that repairing it seems the only available option to recover the data I need.
Thanks for you reply, I really appreciate it!

Old 05-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Have you tried this.
Most of the results are just scam software BS sites, but there might be 1 or 2 useful results.
Good Luck.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
westernira12
LQ Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. It really helpful for me.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
Ktasy
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
That is why backing up Android phone is so important.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:31 AM   #7
Leida
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by helx View Post
it bent a little
It still works,personally,i think having it(screen)fixed is the good idea.