LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #16
Michael Uplawski

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

never any problem with Broadcom

(cannot shorten further)

Old 04-20-2019, 01:14 AM   #17
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874
Most of my broadcom issues were post installation steps. In the case of my HP Stream 11, that I got in November of 2014, the firmware that became available in July 2015 fixed that issue. In the case of an old dell inspiron 1150, I've had to extract OLDER firmware for it to function. Which now requires older versions of fwcutter for the --unsupported flag. But in most cases the broadcom stuff does work under linux. With quirks in some respects until you find the right combination of things to work headache-less.

I tend towards AMD as the graphics seems to be the best supported and feature-full. Granted that once you start using more than one monitor you uncover a few of the flaws. But that's true for ANY of the main GPU options. Also AMD since it's the "cheaper" option in most cases. Perhaps not in cost of ownership. But if you're buying a new one every year-ish, it's nice to notice that you can afford it and that your specs actually changed / got better.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:27 AM   #18
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
op hasn't even logged in since they posted this almost a week ago.
i think they have enough to chew on for now when they evtl. come back.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #19
fiskrond
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
+1 on that, and Welcome to LQ, fiskrond.

In addition, I'll mention that linux-laptop.net does/used to keep linux user reviews in a searchable format. So you can look up any particular machine and be warned off. These reviews vary in quality, but if you have a bargain offered, you'll have someone's experience on it.
With the above in mind... may I suggest OP (or anyone else for that matter!) avoids both DELL and INTEL.

In the event of something going wrong....
IME(ymmv).. unless you're an IT expert and/or have a lot of time on your hands... they are both utter pigs to work with, especially in combination.

Last edited by fiskrond; 04-20-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #20
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136
Quote:
never any problem with Broadcom
I never had problems using Broadcom, just getting it to work. I wrote a sticky in the wireless forum about getting Broadcom wireless to work because I had so much experience doing so.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #21
Michael Uplawski

... how shall I break the news to you.

The laptop which I worked on until the left button on the Touch pad was dented and shortly prior developing a hole, was a Dell with an Intel chip. Payed work, not like nowadays, it was and the whole enterprise was equipped with Dells. Linux. Yes.

In view of the continuous changes which the brands and their produce live through, we should refrain from deifying them and just as well from knocking them off their (often auto-constructed) pedestals. I realize, of course that this is a phenomenon on the Internet. In the old days.., when we talked about recitativo secco rather than “Rap” , this was called a cliché. And I have confirmed this.

Last edited by Michael Uplawski; 04-22-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: words

Old 04-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #22
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android

Rep: Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321
Quote:
With the above in mind... may I suggest OP (or anyone else for that matter!) avoids both DELL and INTEL.
I feel that's a tad harsh; You're welcome to your opinion of course. My experience was looking enviously at Dell users back in 2013/2014 with my newish Samsung if fierce trouble over UEFI mainly, but what was impossible for me was no sweat for them.

Dells have always had (Cheapo) Inspirons and ('Quality') Latitudes. Businesses usually buys Latitudes. I dislike intel business practises and pricing, but I respect their good products. AMD are no paragons of virtue either - take it from me. The bottom line is that no big multinational is in it for your good, but for their own. The Electronics Hardware business takes no prisoners.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #23
fiskrond
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
I feel that's a tad harsh; You're welcome to your opinion of course. My experience was looking enviously at Dell users back in 2013/2014 with my newish Samsung if fierce trouble over UEFI mainly, but what was impossible for me was no sweat for them.

Dells have always had (Cheapo) Inspirons and ('Quality') Latitudes. Businesses usually buys Latitudes. I dislike intel business practises and pricing, but I respect their good products. AMD are no paragons of virtue either - take it from me. The bottom line is that no big multinational is in it for your good, but for their own. The Electronics Hardware business takes no prisoners.
I will admit that my experience comes from lower end gear and requiring a full nuke on the HDD and re-install of O/S... nearly always issues with an obscure driver or two (orig driver CD being absent of course). All part of the fun.. :-D

It is true what you have said though.... not one manf is significantly better than another. Best thing to do is establish hardware requirements according to intended usage, try and anticipate additional requirements... and purchase according to that.
Then pray to the silicon gods for good fortune.. :-D

Last edited by fiskrond; 04-23-2019 at 05:12 PM.