LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Containers
User Name
Password
Linux - Containers This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux containers. Docker, LXC, LXD, runC, containerd, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Mesos, rkt, and all other Linux container platforms are welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2019, 05:18 AM   #1
PedroRaposo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Singularity error: Failed creating home directory in container

Using Singularity, I have managed to build a container from DockerHub, shell it with Sudo, successfully installed some software, and even run it with Sudo. However, when I try to shell it as an unprivileged user, it gives me an error
Could someone help me in this? Thank you!

The error is as follows:
Code:
> singularity shell miniconda4
Increasing verbosity level (2)
Singularity version: 2.4.2-dist
Exec'ing: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/singularity/cli/shell.exec
Evaluating args: 'miniconda4'
VERBOSE: Set messagelevel to: 2
VERBOSE: Initialize configuration file: /etc/singularity/singularity.conf
VERBOSE: Initializing Singularity Registry
VERBOSE: Invoking the user namespace
VERBOSE: Not virtualizing USER namespace: running as SUID
VERBOSE: No autofs bug path in configuration, skipping
VERBOSE: Using session directory: /var/lib/singularity/mnt/session
VERBOSE: Mounting overlay with options: lowerdir=/var/lib/singularity/mnt/container,upperdir=/var/lib/singularity/mnt/overlay/upper,workdir=/var/lib/singularity/mnt/overlay/work
VERBOSE: Running all mount components
VERBOSE: Binding '/etc/localtime' to '/var/lib/singularity/mnt/final//etc/localtime'
VERBOSE: Binding '/etc/hosts' to '/var/lib/singularity/mnt/final//etc/hosts'
VERBOSE: Bind-mounting host /proc
VERBOSE: Mounting /sys
VERBOSE: Bind mounting /dev
VERBOSE: Mounting home directory source into session directory: /home/AD/praposo -> /var/lib/singularity/mnt/session/home/AD/praposo
VERBOSE: Failed to create parent directory /var/lib/singularity/mnt/final/home/AD/praposo
ERROR  : Failed creating home directory in container /var/lib/singularity/mnt/final/home/AD/praposo: Operation not supported
ABORT  : Retval = 255

Old 03-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274
do you really want to create that directory in your container? (ERROR : Failed creating home directory in container /var/lib/singularity/mnt/final/home/AD/praposo: Operation not supported)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:51 AM   #3
PedroRaposo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan64 View Post
do you really want to create that directory in your container? (ERROR : Failed creating home directory in container /var/lib/singularity/mnt/final/home/AD/praposo: Operation not supported)
Hi. I don't wish to create the directory but it seems that just by 'shelling' the container using singularity, it automatically attempts to create it. Maybe it attempts to mount the home of the user (?), but I don't know.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:55 AM   #4
pan64
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274
I would rather say you have misconfigured something. I don't think you really need that dir.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:37 AM   #5
PedroRaposo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan64 View Post
I would rather say you have misconfigured something. I don't think you really need that dir.
Thank you pan64 ! You made me think of the problem in a different way. I figured out that by using the '--writable' option in the 'singularity shell' command, it allows any user to create directories. Maybe you're right and I don't need to create that directory but I don't know how not to, since it tries to do it by itself. But we found a solution to this, so I'm going to close this thread.

Cheers

Old 03-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
pan64
LQ Addict

glad to help you.