LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #2206
abga

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCerovec View Post
If here is no reason to have rfkill soft blocked interfaces when networking is enabled, put rfkill unblock all in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

Or at least make it handle soft blocks?
But should check if the rfkill module is loaded first, sort of:
Code:
if [ -x /usr/sbin/rfkill ] && /sbin/lsmod | grep -q "rfkill"; then
 echo "/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1: rfkill - unblocking all wireless networking devices"
 /usr/sbin/rfkill unblock all
fi

Last edited by abga; 09-24-2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: grep "rfkill" &> /dev/null --> grep -q "rfkill" and check if rfkill exists&executable

Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #2207
Skaendo

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Could we get Vala added: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Vala and maybe get some (already in Slackware) things built with it and introspection enabled?

Adding Vala would only require adding graphviz: https://graphviz.gitlab.io/ AFAIK.

The reasoning for this is that I use a lot of GNOME packages (Cinnamon DE), and in getting the new 3.30.x series GNOME packages to build I came across a few packages in Slackware that I needed to rebuild with vala and introspection.

Only one in particular that actually required them, gcr-3.28.0.

There are a few other packages that I would need upgraded as well for the same reason, but I have heard mention of them being queued already. (udisks2-2.7.x and polkit-0.115)

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #2209
SCerovec

Distribution: Slackware on x86 and arm

Rep: Reputation: 260Reputation: 260Reputation: 260
on SBo: rEFInd 0.11.3

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/refind/

Quote:
rEFInd (An EFI boot manager utility)

A graphical boot manager for EFI- and UEFI-based computers...

Last edited by SCerovec; 09-25-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #2210
USUARIONUEVO

Rep: Reputation: 300Reputation: 300Reputation: 300Reputation: 300
CVE-2018-1000156

GNU Patch version 2.7.6 contains an input validation vulnerability when processing patch files, specifically the EDITOR_PROGRAM invocation (using ed) can result in code execution. This attack appear to be exploitable via a patch file processed via the patch utility. This is similar to FreeBSD's CVE-2015-1418 however although they share a common ancestry the code bases have diverged over time.

Here is the patch
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/p...packages/patch

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #2211
rworkman
Slackware Contributor

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaendo View Post
Could we get Vala added: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Vala and maybe get some (already in Slackware) things built with it and introspection enabled?

Adding Vala would only require adding graphviz: https://graphviz.gitlab.io/ AFAIK.

The reasoning for this is that I use a lot of GNOME packages (Cinnamon DE), and in getting the new 3.30.x series GNOME packages to build I came across a few packages in Slackware that I needed to rebuild with vala and introspection.

Only one in particular that actually required them, gcr-3.28.0.

There are a few other packages that I would need upgraded as well for the same reason, but I have heard mention of them being queued already. (udisks2-2.7.x and polkit-0.115)
Unless gcr added a requirement recently, *none* of the things you mentioned actually require vala. I'd be surprised if gcr added that requirement, because last I heard, even the gnome folks had decided that vala was a new "old way" and were moving on to some other newer shinier thing.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #2212
dchmelik

Distribution: NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Slackware, FreeSlack, OpenSolaris, Android, Replicant, DOS

Rep: Reputation: 38
a few more requests
  • non-UEFI ISO/CD/DVD set (otherwise I have to make my own, which is okay, but then for example. there isn't an official signed/verifiable one to share) (several distros make both kinds now)
  • an ISO/DVD-DL with binaries & source code in one so you can have them on bottom and text/graphics on top (of course, a non-UEFI version, also) (the type of ISO I make...)

I think there was some other program I wanted to suggest but can't think of now... maybe later.

One thing I always thought would be cool is if you had an option (BSD Unix style) to change the pure (non-GUI) terminals/consoles to let you use <Scroll Lock> then <Page Up> / <Page Down>to go up & down in sh history, and not just <SHIFT> & <Page Up> / <Page Down> (forcing you to use both hands the entire time rather than only at start and end...

Last edited by dchmelik; 09-25-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #2213
AlexSlack

Distribution: Slackware-current

Good day,

I have notice that when I upgrade or reinstall sysvinit scripts the rc.inet1.conf is not compared with the rc.inet1.conf.new, is this by design or did I changed something?

By the way thank you for the virtuoso update.

Another thing is that I am using a terminal with TERM=xterm-256color and slackpkg is shown incorrectly, if I add TERM=xterm to slackpkg.conf the issue is gone, could this be an issue with slackpkg?

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #2214
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer

Distribution: Slackware! :-)

Rep: Reputation: 4803Reputation: 4803Reputation: 4803Reputation: 4803Reputation: 4803Reputation: 4803Reputation: 4803Reputation: 4803Reputation: 4803Reputation: 4803Reputation: 4803
Quote:
Originally Posted by USUARIONUEVO View Post
CVE-2018-1000156

GNU Patch version 2.7.6 contains an input validation vulnerability when processing patch files, specifically the EDITOR_PROGRAM invocation (using ed) can result in code execution. This attack appear to be exploitable via a patch file processed via the patch utility. This is similar to FreeBSD's CVE-2015-1418 however although they share a common ancestry the code bases have diverged over time.

Here is the patch
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/p...packages/patch
That's been applied since April 6th in Slackware, all the way back to Slackware 13.0.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:45 AM   #2215
Skaendo

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworkman View Post
Unless gcr added a requirement recently, *none* of the things you mentioned actually require vala. I'd be surprised if gcr added that requirement, because last I heard, even the gnome folks had decided that vala was a new "old way" and were moving on to some other newer shinier thing.
It's not that gcr "requires" vala or introspection, it's the newer GNOME 3.30.x packages that require gcr to be built with vala and introspection enabled.

EDIT:
Here is an example:
Code:
error: Package `gcr-ui-3' not found in specified Vala API directories or GObject-Introspection GIR directories
error: Package `gcr-3' not found in specified Vala API directories or GObject-Introspection GIR directories
Compilation failed: 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
[4/137] Generating seahorse.appdata.xml_data_merge with a custom command.
[5/137] Generating seahorse.desktop_data_merge with a custom command.
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
configure.log:
https://pastebin.com/MHRpC8r4

build.log:
https://pastebin.com/tUyexSEt

Last edited by Skaendo; 09-26-2018 at 02:12 AM.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:30 AM   #2216
dchmelik

Distribution: NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Slackware, FreeSlack, OpenSolaris, Android, Replicant, DOS

Rep: Reputation: 38
not strictly related to the release, but I wish OSU OSL would make a virtual host on their server so slackware.com (and iso.slackware.com ?) went directly to their slackware directory (and could have another site for the ISO directory)... for the next time I download patches or other things from a new release

Last edited by dchmelik; 09-26-2018 at 02:31 AM.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #2217
Qury

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
Hi Pat,

Could you please consider adding support for XDG_RUNTIME_DIR environmental variable?

The below code could be added as an extra script under /etc/profile.d/

Code:
if [ "$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR" = "" ]; then
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/$USER
 mkdir -p /run/user/$USER
 chown -R $USER /run/user/$USER
 chmod 0700 /run/user/$USER
fi

Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #2218
imitheos

Rep: Reputation: 109Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qury View Post
Hi Pat,

Could you please consider adding support for XDG_RUNTIME_DIR environmental variable?

The below code could be added as an extra script under /etc/profile.d/

Code:
if [ "$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR" = "" ]; then
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/$USER
 mkdir -p /run/user/$USER
 chown -R $USER /run/user/$USER
 chmod 0700 /run/user/$USER
fi
Yeah this is useful (it is also set by Eric's plasma). My only gripe is $USER. Wouldn't $UID be better to match the others ?

All of systemd (1, 2, 3), consolekit2 (1), elogind (1, 2, 3) use /run/user/$UID.

Edit: Also, if this is implemented, maybe the code in rc.S that mounts /run should change to remove the 32MB space limit.

Last edited by imitheos; 09-26-2018 at 09:29 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #2219
upnort

Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE

Quote:
Agree. Previously discussed here, here, here, here and other threads.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #2220
USUARIONUEVO

Rep: Reputation: 300Reputation: 300Reputation: 300Reputation: 300
gutenprint-5.3.1
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gim...t-5.3.1.tar.xz