LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2018, 04:28 AM   #1
GwaelenSteel
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Dual Booting Zorin and Lakka on Lenovo Ideapad 310?

Hello,

I have an old laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 310) that I want to re-purpose into a normal Linux machine and a retro gaming rig. I've been looking around and grown quite fond of two distros, Zorin OS and Lakka. Zorin OS looks very similar to Windows 10, which is ideal. Lakka is an all-in-one retro gaming platform which is also ideal, no need to use separate emulations to play games.

The question I wanted to ask is... Is it possible to dual boot these two distros?

The two distros mentioned, I have installed in the past separately but never dual booted them... I don't know how. I saw youtube videos on dual booting but they're all different distros OR dual booting with Windows. I don't have Windows on this machine, which is why I want Zorin and Lakka.

My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 310, with an AMD A10-9600P APU, 8gb Ram. 512mb GPU built-in.

If this is possible, I want to try and put in a boot menu loading screen also... if it's possible.

Thanks.

If there's any other information you need, let me know.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, MX 18

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
Hi: & Welcome to LQ.

Looking here:
http://www.lakka.tv/

You should be able to install Zorin OS alongside of Lakka.

Any time that you want to dual boot with another os you will have to either shrink the partition of Lakka or tell the installer during the Zorin install that you want to install Zorin along side of Lakka.

OR you can manually partition your partitions during your install.

Once Zorin is installed Grub should take over and you should be given the choice of which os you want to boot.
Upon your fresh installation and your first boot into Zorin make sure that you update grub so it will find Lakka.

Code:
sudo update-grub
To look at the Lakka partition you can use the Zorin OS DVD and run sudo fdisk -l (small letter L) or you can use gparted Live.

Good Luck-

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:31 AM   #3
GwaelenSteel
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up Success on dual booting... somewhat.

I managed to get the two to cooperate seamlessly.. just have to figure out how to stop the wireless from disconnecting. I hear it's an issue with realtek units.

But, other than that, it works...

Thank you, Ztcoracat

Old 08-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, MX 18

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
You're Welcome-

Congrads on your installation.

As far as the realtek issue is concerned, just make sure the driver for your nic is installed.