LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
xiongnu

Distribution: Devuan, Void

Rep: Reputation: 23
devuan: Ascii upgrade messed up the jessie

i migrated to devuan jessie from debian jessie about a year ago, things had been well since then - until recently when i tried to upgrade to Devuan Ascii.

error when i tried to upgrade to ascii:
root@debian:/home/erdos# apt-get dist-upgrade Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these. The following packages have unmet dependencies: initscripts : Depends: sysv-rc or file-rc but it is not installable libncurses5 : Depends: libtinfo5 (= 5.9+20140913-1+b1) but 6.0+20161126-1+deb9u1 is installed sysvinit-core : Depends: sysv-rc or file-rc but it is not installable sysvinit-utils : Depends: init-system-helpers (>= 1.25~) but 1.24+devuan1.0 is installed E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

after reboot the system, i can only log into command line, x-windows can't be loaded, wifi isn't working, and my home partition isn't mounted. system partition is in Read-only mode.

my laptop is thinkpad t60 with wifi built in.

any suggestion on how to resolve this issue besides a complete reinstallation of devuan?

Old 06-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
mark_alfred

Distribution: Ubuntu Linux 16.04, Debian 10, LineageOS 14.1

Rep: Reputation: 210Reputation: 210Reputation: 210
The only suggestion I have is to try what your computer already suggested:

Code:
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
mark_alfred

Distribution: Ubuntu Linux 16.04, Debian 10, LineageOS 14.1

Rep: Reputation: 210Reputation: 210Reputation: 210
Hmm, in rereading your post I notice you say that wifi isn't working with the device, and it's in read-only mode, which will make any fix tricky.

This is the first time I've heard of Devuan. I'm not sure why making an OS without systemd is a big deal, but that seems a motivation of the developers of this system. Anyway, your best bet to find an answer is likely on the Devuan forum: https://dev1galaxy.org/

One post I found about issues of upgrading to Ascii describes how to get into recovery mode. Maybe being able to get into recovery mode would make a fix possible. If so, here's the release notes for the upgrade you're attempting. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:58 AM   #4
jaromil
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Devuan

Rep: Reputation: 16
Hi there! The problem seems strange: we test extensively both migration and upgrade paths before releasing Devuan stable.
I will try to be of help despite the small info provided. Possible causes for your problem are:
- lack of `apt-get update` before `dist-upgrade`
- use of old repos: we now have round-robin mirrors served through deb.devuan.org, see: https://devuan.org/get-devuan
- presence of other third-party repos or Debian repos in your `/etc/apt/sources.list`

hoping this helps, wish you happy hacking!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #5
jlinkels
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian /Jessie/Stretch/Sid, Linux Mint DE

Rep: Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiongnu View Post
i migrated to devuan jessie from debian jessie about a year ago, things had been well since then - until recently when i tried to upgrade to Devuan Ascii.

error when i tried to upgrade to ascii:
root@debian:/home/erdos# apt-get dist-upgrade Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these. The following packages have unmet dependencies: initscripts : Depends: sysv-rc or file-rc but it is not installable libncurses5 : Depends: libtinfo5 (= 5.9+20140913-1+b1) but 6.0+20161126-1+deb9u1 is installed sysvinit-core : Depends: sysv-rc or file-rc but it is not installable sysvinit-utils : Depends: init-system-helpers (>= 1.25~) but 1.24+devuan1.0 is installed E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
Please post this output with [.CODE] tags. It is already complicated enough.

As you can see there are some packages installed from Stretch or Debian9. The latest version of this package in Jessie is 5.9+...+deb8u3. What apt requests is and exact match on a package for which a newer version is already installed.

This package should not have been there. Either it is a problem in de Devuan packages which installed it by accident or you have been using repos beyond Jessie. Since the Devuan team says upgrades were thoroughly tested it might be a problem from the past.

You cannot uninstall libtinfo5 as literally every other installed package depends on it. I fear your system is wrecked.

jlinkels

Last edited by jlinkels; 07-19-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
xiongnu

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromil View Post
Hi there! The problem seems strange: we test extensively both migration and upgrade paths before releasing Devuan stable.
I will try to be of help despite the small info provided. Possible causes for your problem are:
- lack of `apt-get update` before `dist-upgrade`
- use of old repos: we now have round-robin mirrors served through deb.devuan.org, see: https://devuan.org/get-devuan
- presence of other third-party repos or Debian repos in your `/etc/apt/sources.list`

hoping this helps, wish you happy hacking!
I followed this guide for upgrade.
https://www.devuan.org/os/documentat...grade-to-ascii

Old 07-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
xiongnu

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinkels View Post
Please post this output with [.CODE] tags. It is already complicated enough.

As you can see there are some packages installed from Stretch or Debian9. The latest version of this package in Jessie is 5.9+...+deb8u3. What apt requests is and exact match on a package for which a newer version is already installed.

This package should not have been there. Either it is a problem in de Devuan packages which installed it by accident or you have been using repos beyond Jessie. Since the Devuan team says upgrades were thoroughly tested it might be a problem from the past.

You cannot uninstall libtinfo5 as literally every other installed package depends on it. I fear your system is wrecked.

jlinkels
thank you for the reply!

Here's the output, system is in read only mode even I boot into recovery mode:
Code:
root@(none):~# apt-get dist-upgrade
W:  Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E:  Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
E:  The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
root@(none):~#
/etc/apt/sources.list:
Code:
deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii main
deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii-updates main
deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii-security main
deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii-backports main
output of /var/log/syslog
Debian init: cannot execute '/etc/init.d/rc'

output of /etc/fstab:
Code:
UUID=  -------  /   ext4   errors=remount -ro 0  1
UUID=  -------  /home  ext4  defaults  0  2
UUID=  -------  none  swap   sw 0 0
/dev/sr0    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660  user, noauto  0  0
I'd like to mention that I tried to upgrade ascii before it was release as 'stable' , I also read from reddit forum that this seems to be related to 'openrc' init package that's not compatible with devuan - as one time I tried to install 'openrc' into devuan Jessie and it failed...

Old 07-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
jlinkels
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian /Jessie/Stretch/Sid, Linux Mint DE

Rep: Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043Reputation: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiongnu View Post
I'd like to mention that I tried to upgrade ascii before it was release as 'stable'
I am afraid that is the problem. The test version usually is stable enough but the upgrade while the version is test is not. Both ways, from stable to test can be broken, or from (old)test to (now)(stable) can be broken.

Since your system is not in RO mode there is very little you can do. Maybe someone else (from the Devuan team) can chime in.

I would say it is a lost case and you should re-install. Hopefully you have your /home directory on a separate partition, then the damage is limited. If not, you should copy your /home dir first. When you copy it back, omit the configuration files. (.foo etc)

jlinkels