LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
Rosika

Distribution: Lubuntu 64 bit

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
mouse-pointer symbol "background activity"

Hi altogether,

Iīve got a question concerning my mouse-pointer.

From time to time my mouse-pointer changes to a symbol that represents something like an arrow melted together with a loading-circle.
I tried to find out something about it and believe that it means "background activity".

So far so good. But thereīs one thing I cannot really explain:

Whenever I open my file-manager pcmanfm in a "normal" way, i.e. by clicking on a desktop-icon or the respective symbol in the task-bar, the window immediately opens - without any mose-pointer activity.

However when I start pcmanfm by clicking the key-combination "WIN-key + e" the window opens as well but with the addition of the "background-activity" symbol.
That one can be seen for about 20 seconds and then vanishes.

Can someone help me find out why that is?

Many thanks in advance.

Greetings.
Rosika

P.S.:
system: Linux/Lubuntu 16.04.4 LTS, 64 bit

Old 03-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
shouldn't the key combo be Win+F?
anyhow, you can edit your rc.xml to remove that, but it's hardly worth the effort.
i think this is a tiny misbehaviour that was fixed in later versions, but it doesn't cause any problems.

if you're willing to edit ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml, i can walk you through it.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Rosika

Original Poster
Hi ondoho,

nice to hear from you again.

On the page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Keyboard there is a list of keyboard shortcuts for Lubuntu. It states among others:
Quote:
Super+E Launch PCManFM
And it works well. I only wanted to understand why there is some sort of background activity for 20 seconds - but only when using that combo.
Never mind.
Quote:
i think this is a tiny misbehaviour that was fixed in later versions, but it doesn't cause any problems.
O.K. Iīll take that for a bit of reassurance.

Thanks and greetings.

Rosika

Old 04-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #4
Rosika

Original Poster
Hi again ondoho,

as far as my "problem" is concerned I really spent quite a time trying to do some research on that mouse-pointer symbol.
Yet I couldnīt find anything remotely connected to that phenomenon.

In the meantime Iīm also convinced that it must have something to do with openbox.

In addition to what Iīve already described I noticed the following:

When performing a right-click on my desktop I get a context-menu with some applications (heading: "shortcuts") like: File Manager, Terminal, Internet, Accessories etc.).
Whenever I click on an application (etc. "calculator") using that context-menu it produces that 20 seconds-long mouse-pointer symbol (obvoiusly denoting background-activity).

BUT:
When opening the respective programme (or command) via the terminal or application-starter (ALT+F2) I donīt get that mouse-pointer symbol at all.
That leads me to believe the whole thing has to be connected to the window-manager openbox.

Another point worth noticing:

Iīm not quite sure whether itīs due to my imagination, but I think that I could perceive this phenomenon only recently.
So I looked up the latest installation-date of openbox.
In my case itīs 21.03.2018 when I got the latest version via my normal update routine.

So COULD it really be a matter of that update/latest version of openbox?

At least theoretically it might be possible that they changed mouse-pointer behaviour......

Greetings.
Rosika

P.S.:
current openbox-version: 3.6.1-1ubuntu2.1 amd64

Last edited by Rosika; 04-09-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
if you had looked closer at my previous post, you'd already know that it has something to do with openbox, but kudos for doing your own research anyhow!

please have a look at that file. (warning! XML is hard to read without syntax highlighting!)
the name might differ slightly, but you'll find it (*).
you will notice that most app launch entries have a section that says something like this:
Code:
      <startupnotify>
        <enabled>yes</enabled>
      </startupnotify>
startup notification is a mechanism that displays the background activity pointer until it is able to recognize that the application started.
unfortunately, sometimes it is not able to recognize that, so the background activity pointer just stays there until it times out.

that's what you're seeing; it does not mean that there actually is any background activity, or that the launched application has a problem. it simply means that the mechanism that displays the background activity pointer is broken.
and your system remains perfectly usable.

a small annoyance, but harmless.

(*) rc.xml is for hotkeys and ohter stuff, menu.xml is for the menu. you can find <startupnotify> entries in both.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
Rosika

Original Poster
Hi ondoho,

thanks for your reply.

Quote:
if you had looked closer at my previous post, you'd already know that it has something to do with openbox
Perhaps I wasnīt too clear as far as my statement is concerned. Of course you already suggested that it has something to do with openbox. By doing some research I just wanted to obtain some information as to whether there was some change regarding that mouse-pointer behaviour recently.

I found the respective file here:
Code:
/home/rosika/.config/openbox/lubuntu-rc.xml
So I took a look at the file (gedit helped me with syntax-highlighting "xml").
I found four entries with <startupnotify>, amongst those this one:
Code:
 <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>PCManFM</name>
Quote:
sometimes it is not able to recognize that, so the background activity pointer just stays there until it times out.
Right. That must be the 20 secs visibility of the icon then. Glad that I know this now.

Quote:
it simply means that the mechanism that displays the background activity pointer is broken
O.K. Thatīs the explanation then.
Itīs odd though because formerly it seemed to work. But Iīm not at all sure about that. Itīs merely a guess. I didnīt use to notice those things.

O.K. Many thanks for your explanations and the work you put into communicating them to me. Itīs greatly appreciated.

Greetings.
Rosika

Old 04-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
ondoho
LQ Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosika View Post
Of course you already suggested that it has something to do with openbox. By doing some research I just wanted to obtain some information as to whether there was some change regarding that mouse-pointer behaviour recently.
3.6.1 is the current release.

I am not convinced that this problem is with openbox, and isn't specific to your setup.
I know there was some talk about this ~5 years ago, but we're long past that.

If the behavior disturbs you, you can remove the appropriate blocks (i.e. everything between and including <startupnotify> and </startupnotify>) for those applications affected.
then just reconfigure openbox (should be inthe menu, or terminal: 'openbox --reconfigure').
always make sure you can undo what you edited in case it didn't work.
openbox is famous for giving very non-descript error messages.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:14 AM   #8
Rosika

Original Poster
Hi ondoho,

tnx for our reply.
Quote:
If the behavior disturbs you, you can remove the appropriate blocks [...]
Well, itīs not so much of a disturbance per se. I was just wondering why that odd phenomenon occurs at all.

Another example:

I use firejail (sandbox) and the associated tool firetools. When opening firetools from the menu thereīs the same thing: background activity-symbol for a few seconds. But when opening via command line: no symbol whatsowever.
Plus: When opening firetools from clicking on an entry from classicmenu-indicator thereīs no
mouse-pointer symbol either (!). That eventually led me to believe that the whole thing has something to do with openbox.

But as I said, it doesnīt really disturb me that much ......

Quote:
you can remove the appropriate blocks (i.e. everything between and including <startupnotify> and </startupnotify>) for those applications affected
As far as editing the lubuntu-rc.xml-file is concerned Iīd rather not touch that one because Iīm afraid of doing something wrong.
Because itīs quite difficult for me to find out the affected applications, like e.g. galculator.
Itīs the same thing with that one. And I couldnīt find it in the file.

Anyhow, as you already said "it's hardly worth the effort".

Thanks again for your help.

Rosika