LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
LJ151
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Postfix as a mail server for domain

HI everyone. I have tackled the task of setting up nameservers for the website that I am hosting at my house. I wanted to also host mail for this domain. I have postfix installed and configured. I also have the webmin postfix module installed. This may sound like a very studpid question but - how in the world do you set up new mail accounts in postfix?? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!

Old 07-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #2
korozion

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 15
As far as I know, you don't need to. You just send mail, and postfix will try to send the mail to that user. If that user doesn't exist, it will fail.

Old 07-16-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
LJ151
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Well that was a ridiculous question to ask I feel real stupid now. Anyways I got it working using the existing unix users. However I cannot send mail out with postfix. I keep getting a weird error 554 from outlook saying that the email address that I am trying to was rejected. I did some searching on the internet and so far have not been able to come up with why i am unable to send mail using my mail server. I am testing this remotely on a completley different network and like I said it recieves email with no problem at all but cannot send. If anyone has any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
des_a

Rep: Reputation: 20
Yes, it's true that you can use Linux users for setting up postfix. (Or unix, if you are on plain unix.) However, if you do not want a user to log on to the system, but just receive e-mail, you can disable it so that they can only log on for mail purposes using usermin or whatever webmail interface you use, assuming it works similar to usermin. If you were interested, I could pull up the commands to disable a logon for a user in Linux. I don't remember them by heart, but that's part of the reason I use nice scripts normally. I do not always remember those standard things when they are a bit obscure. But I always remember how my scripts work, which are fairly standard in my setup. And I remember how they work or can be reminded if I need to look at them or change them. Just thought you'd be interested in this additional detail if you still look at this thread! Also for other users who might have the same problem at some point!