LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
des_a

Rep: Reputation: 20
Network Browsing Doesn't Work from LAN to WAN

I have done this before, but I forgot how. I am trying to get network browsing to work from my LAN to my WAN. The servers are on the WAN side. The clients are on the LAN side. There is a two-router setup here.

I am ultimately trying to update some spreadsheets, which need file browsing to work in order for the spreadhseets to work. The IP was out of date, but I fixed that now. It tells me that the path cannot be found, which is due to the fact that file browsing needs to work and does not right now. I needed to go back to a two router setup because of my apple devices. Everything else works, just not file browsing.

To be clearer: I want a PC behind clientrouter to be able to access via browsing a (PC) behind mainrouter. clientrouter is behind mainrouter itself, and it creates it's own new subnet. Both are on the same workgroup, but each are in two separate DNS domains. There is a WINS server via SAMBA on vmain, on main1 behind mainrouter. PCs behind mainrouter do NOT need to be able to access a share on a machine behind clientrouer that way, just that a PC behind clientrouter needs to be able to access a PC behind mainrouter.

I have done this before, I just forget how I did that, so I'm trying to re-ask it here.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
estabroo

Distribution: debian, ubuntu, sidux

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
What I've seen in the past is a tunnel (vpn some such) connecting the sides that is then bridged to the lan on both sides, effectively making it one large lan.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #3
des_a

Original Poster

I figured out that by opening the ports to the network's address (0 at the end), I can now see everything in the mainrouter section of the LAN. Nothing in clientrouter is showing anymore, which right now, is just one machine. My guess is that the WINS server doesn't know about the machine on clientrouter, but it knows about every other machine. First of all, how do I fix that? Second, it did solve my original problem. Third, it didn't solve the problem of the spreadsheet, that I thought for sure this was the culprit. But I've been able to redesign that spreadsheet, and it works now.

I cannot really run any servers right now, because if anything due to physical space behind clientrouter. Clientrouter is just for clients of the network (which may contain peer-to-peer type servers though...)

Old 08-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
estabroo

Distribution: debian, ubuntu, sidux

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
You should post that WINS question in a new thread. I don't know how to fix that, sorry, and this thread might not be getting many new views from people who might know.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
des_a

Original Poster

OK Thanks for the advice and I don't want to violate the guidelines, but if you suggest I should post it elsewhere, then I probably should.