LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
howdoI
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Caja question

I am a recent emigrant from windows to Mint 13 (Mate desktop). The Mint/Mate distro includes Caja as the default file manager. Caja is very similar to Windows explorer except for one thing: In Windows Explorer, the "Copy to:" and "Move to:" commands allow you to browse to any location to copy or move the file to, including subfolders. In Caja however, you are offered only two location options: Home Folder or Desktop, with no capability of browsing to subfolders. This is very inconvenient. Am I missing some configuration option, or could someone recommend a simple alternative to Caja for the Mate desktop that permits browsing to subfolders for moving or copying?

Last edited by howdoI; 10-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran

Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314
I'm not sure what's going on here. Looking at my file manager showing /home/david, I double-click on "language" and I'm in /home/david/language. Click on the up or back arrows at the top and I'm back where I started. Two clicks on the up arrow and I'm looking at /.

To copy, select the file with one click, copy with Edit-Copy or Ctrl-C, navigate to where you want it and paste with Edit-Paste or Ctrl-V.

P.S. Have you clicked on Caja's Help to read all about it?

Last edited by DavidMcCann; 10-06-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
k3lt01

Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.

Rep: Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637
You will have a Copy and a Copy to option, you will also have a Move and Move to option. Use Copy to and Move to for home and desktop. Use Copy and Move for everything else.

Caja is like Windows Explorer simply because it is a file manager. Caja is MATE's version of Nautilus.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
howdoI
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
OK, I guess I am not missing anything. I do much prefer the Windows explorer behavior of providing a box where you can choose the location to copy or move the files to without having to actually browse to that location as in Caja.