LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile
User Name
Password
Linux - Mobile This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Mobile Linux. This includes Android, Tizen, Sailfish OS, Replicant, Ubuntu Touch, webOS, and other similar projects and products.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #16
jens

Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 299Reputation: 299Reputation: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdonovan View Post
Troll no. Realist sure. I know what they are capable of. Unless you have an Asus Prime quad core tablet running Android 3.0 or 4.0, what do you have? I mean, really? You have a dual core running at 1 gighz. That simply means you can run two apps slow. If you have an ARM processor with 256 meg ram at 800 mhz you ain't a going nowhere fast. Most apps are weak unless you pay for the pro-edition. Even then, I would still rather use Linux.......

Master Rod
I have the older asus tf101
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...sformer_TF101/

Both Android 4.x and Debian (native dual boot) run fine (it's both a tablet and my most used laptop).
The only thing I don't like is the power cable (to short).
No problems with multitasking and performance at all.

Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
werner291

Distribution: Debian (Ans soon Ubuntu and Android)

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledo View Post
Check out tablets based on Meego - linux

Evolve III Maestro Atom Z670 Oak Trail tablet
WeTab 11.6-inch, Atom N450 tablet
I've seen the WeTab and It looks quite interesting, but what I understand it's a bit old. (No idea if this is reflected in the device in any way.)

That Evolve III Maestro looks really interesting, but selling points appear hard to find. Has anyone found any? (I'll keep looking in the meantime.)

Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
justboo2u

Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian(ARM),XP,W7,CP/M

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultist View Post
I can't tell if you're trying to be a troll or what. You clearly have no idea what tablets are capable of.
Firmly agree with you here...
While I dont care for Android, I have seen my el-cheapo Chinese 10" tablet (256Mb/2GB'hd') do an EXCELLENT job of running DIVX encoded videos (thru use of hardware decoding) as well as DVD-formats.
I have a 300Mhz WM-8505 'netbook' running a derivation of Debian AND X-windows on 128Mb of RAM and 2Gb/8Gb flash drive. Sure its slow. I could not conceive of it being anything BUT... (tho X came up faster with only the 2Gb... whazzup wid dat?)

... and I have another that makes a damn-fine TV tray!

I have another 256Mb tablet waiting for a flash-drive replacement. Once I manage that, I intend to try creating an install of Linux-of-some-sort (likely based off the already-existing core for Android) and see what can be done there. Ethernet/WiFi/Sound, etc. would already be integrated into the kernel so the graphical environment is pretty-much all they need.

Last edited by justboo2u; 04-21-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #19
werner291

Original Poster
(thread starter here) I just ordered an Ekoore tablet that runs both Android and Ubuntu (and Windows 7, but I chose without, since Linux does the job well). It looks overall quite good (1.6 GHz processor), but so does every tablet on the manufacter's website. I'll wait for it to arrive and see if it's any good.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #20
sbowers2
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Triple-boot with linux.

I have an HP Touchpad 32GB that is currently double-booting WebOS and ICS alpha (Android 4). I'm about to try adding linux, but I thought I'd check here for any input.

Currently have it OC'd to 1.5G, haven't needed to bump it up any more but can go to 1.9G. Already have Android 4 running Netflix, etc. It's still alpha, so a few bugs, but not many compared to other alphas I've played with. It has great sound, video (MPEG-4, H.263, and H.264), WiFI, BT, etc.

Last edited by sbowers2; 05-09-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Added tablet features.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
taxpayer

Distribution: Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner291 View Post
(thread starter here) I just ordered an Ekoore tablet that runs both Android and Ubuntu (and Windows 7, but I chose without, since Linux does the job well). It looks overall quite good (1.6 GHz processor), but so does every tablet on the manufacter's website. I'll wait for it to arrive and see if it's any good.
Six weeks later, I hope it has arrived. Is this the Python S (which Ekoore says is "no longer available")? How do you like it?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #22
epislav
LQ Newbie

You may try Iconia W500 or some other x86 based tablet that can run any linux distribution.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #23
werner291

Original Poster
@taxpayer: Yes, it has arrived (a loooooooong time after ordering, "Don't warry, it will be shipped next week!").

The Ekoore Python S is not the best device I've ever used, but it's certainly better than that fake iPad I have on my desk.

It's not actually triple-boot, you can install any number of x86 operating systems on it, as long as there is still space left. However, they use GRUB to choose the operating system, which doesn't work great without a keyboard. (You can use a USB keyboard, but it's not very convenient. Does anyone know how to make it work on a touchscreen?)

It came with only Android x86 preinstalled. (Despite ordering both Android and Ubuntu). Android works quite ok, as long as you don't try anything to enormous with it, and I now use it as the main operating system. When I asked customer support about Ubuntu, they pointed me to a live cd with Ekoore Ubuntu (optimised for Ekoore devices, they say.), which i installed

The OS worked, It was running Gnome 3 by default, but working with it was hard, Ubuntu has clearly not been designed for a touchscreen. Especially typing was horrible, the onscreen keyboard sometimes didn't show up or simply couldn't be used (it refuses input to other windows when putting in a password for example). It also didn't allways show up when needed, so I had to alternatively use the OnBoard keyboard. (Since Ubuntu is open-source, I'm shure it can be made to work, but it doesn't yet.)

So I switched to Android again, which works quite okay now. Simple card games work.

Overall, I'd say it's not a really awesome tablet and that I'd have chosen another one if I knew what I know now.

PS: If anyone has another experience with this tablet, I'd love to hear how you got it to work nicely.

Last edited by werner291; 06-14-2012 at 06:45 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #24
elliott678

Distribution: Arch

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowers2 View Post
I have an HP Touchpad 32GB that is currently double-booting WebOS and ICS alpha (Android 4). I'm about to try adding linux, but I thought I'd check here for any input.

Currently have it OC'd to 1.5G, haven't needed to bump it up any more but can go to 1.9G. Already have Android 4 running Netflix, etc. It's still alpha, so a few bugs, but not many compared to other alphas I've played with. It has great sound, video (MPEG-4, H.263, and H.264), WiFI, BT, etc.
I have one too, great tablet for the money, you can find a lightly used 32gb for $200 or less. I also have ICS on mine, the camera doesn't work, but that is no big deal. I do quite like WebOS, it is just a shame they don't have the app support of Android.

Tags
debian, tablet, ubuntu