LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
marty57
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Which linux OS to use?

Ive been a Ubuntu user for about 4 years, Ive just freshly installed 12.04 and dont like unity at all. I installed gnome classic and deleted unity but still dont like 12.04 because.
It wont share files with the other two 10.04 computers in the house.
It wont share either printer or the scanner.
Dual monitor suport wont work.
Progarms Ive used on 10.04 (draftsight in particular) wouldnt load properly untill I installed Gdebi which intern has some sort of conflict with Ubuntu software centre and produces a recuring error message but still gets the job done.

So could anyone recomend a stable user friendly OS, Mint Maybe? or should I go back to 10.04?

Many thanks Marty

Old 04-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
Weapon S

Distribution: Debian, Archlinux

Rep: Reputation: 49
Debian stable is known for its awesome stability And being an Ubuntu user, there won't be much of a difference.
That being said, I can't imagine the higher version actually breaking software support in such a harsh way. Are you sure you have all the needed packages and configuration files on your new system (i.e. to share files)?
Mint is IIRC a minimalistic distribution (a Debian one available too). If what I said is the problem, with Mint it would be even more so.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
marty57
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thank you.
Im trying Mint as dual boot now, same printer and scanner issues, apparently its a red-hat problem ?http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...88389&p=516978 the code hasnt been updated. Ive also submitted various bug reports on the software installs and the same reports have been made by many other people according to the bug site. Dito for wine same bug reports as other people. So I guess there will be updates. from what I see there is almost no difference between mint 12 and ubuntu 12.04, same set up menus etc. marginally different desk top and of course no Unity.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
snowday

Rep: Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411
Xfce is a good alternative to Unity: http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Ubuntu Forums is a great place to get help with your file sharing/printing/scanning/dual monitor problems: http://ubuntuforums.org

If you prefer 10.04, it still has 1 year of support left.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Knightron

Distribution: openSUSE

Rep: Reputation: 200Reputation: 200Reputation: 200
I'm with Weapon S, go Debian. It has a great reputation for being stable and it's package manager is almost the same. I can't remember how long the lts versions of ubuntu are supported for, but i was under the impression that once the new lts comes out, the old one is ditched. If my impression was right, the you defiantly don't want to go back to 10.04.
On the flip side you could dip your feet in a different distro completely and learn a little more, like Arch or even a rpm based distro,

Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Randicus Draco Albus

Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system

Rep: Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635
I suggest following this advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightron View Post
On the flip side you could dip your feet in a different distro completely and learn a little more, like Arch or even a rpm based distro,
Try several distros and pick the one you like best. When I stopped using Ubuntu I tried Debian, Mandriva, Slackware, Fedora, Sabayon, Dream (?), OpenSuse and two or three others I do not remember. Explore, experiment, enjoy.

Last edited by Randicus Draco Albus; 04-28-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
marty57
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks every one. Im finding Mint much more freindly and will get my printer networking sorted eventualy, for now its pass the USB cable but thats ok for a bit. I will delete ubuntu from its partition and experement with some other OS. Thanks all for comments , much appreciated.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
jiangshi
LQ Newbie

Distribution: LXDE Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 1
Everybody has their personal favorite, but I agree with you that the newer desktop releases seem to be going the wrong way. I started with SuSE KDE, and then KDE added more wizbang which meant a lot more clicking. Ubuntu began topping the list as the favorite, and I became a big fan of the cleaner Gnome desktop. Now it's gooped up with more bells, whistles, and wizbang and looks like an Apple desktop. Xfce has moved to a similar look. I do not want my desktop to look like Windows or Mac; I want it to look like Linux. Gnome had that going on for itself.

I've dumped Ubuntu, KDE, and Gnome. After trying several live CDs, I've settled on the LXDE desktop running on Fedora. It is well supported by a very active forum. LXDE works on all my machines including a 64 bit AMD machine. I do assembly language programming, and I am using all my favorite tools.

I think you will be fine using any of the major distros. I think the major problem is finding a desktop that works with you instead of getting in your way.

Cheers!
~jiangshi

Last edited by jiangshi; 05-02-2012 at 08:12 PM.