LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > DamnSmallLinux
User Name
Password
DamnSmallLinux This forum is for the discussion of DamnSmallLinux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
jbander

Rep: Reputation: 4
Tired of readressing all the settings and aplications

I hate having to "re-invent" all of my settings, passwords, etc., each time I go on linux (Dam Small Linux). It has a place to do it but it wants me to name it ,everything I put in there for a name it comes back that it won't work or thats not a address for the settings. It has to be in /home is that correct. then what would be the rest of the address. What can it be called.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
andywebsdale

Distribution: Debian Wheezy AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 23
Here's 2 links to the DSL wiki pages on the subject:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/i...hp/Persistence
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/i..._Configuration
If you're using a LiveCD like DSL then you need to save your settings (or whatever else) on a USB key or a hard disk partition(wiki tells you the details), you can't save it in the DSL session you've got running, 'cos it'll disappear when you take the CD out(or log off etc.) & the CD is read only.
I presume there's a reason you don't want to install it on your hard disk.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
jbander

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywebsdale View Post
Here's 2 links to the DSL wiki pages on the subject:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/i...hp/Persistence
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/i..._Configuration
If you're using a LiveCD like DSL then you need to save your settings (or whatever else) on a USB key or a hard disk partition(wiki tells you the details), you can't save it in the DSL session you've got running, 'cos it'll disappear when you take the CD out(or log off etc.) & the CD is read only.
I presume there's a reason you don't want to install it on your hard disk.
It is now on my hard drive and It asks me to name the file to save all the setting on , I just need a name that will be excepted by DSL. Everything I type in ,it says it isn't a file name that will store the settings. I'm guessing it is /home/ something bUt my knowledge of file organization in linux is zero. I'm tired of having to put in all the settings everytime I start the program.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
andywebsdale

The file is always called "backup.tar.gz" - wants that name of the partition or device, eg sda1 or hda1 etc. So all you need to do is specify your partition(*not* the directory like /home etc) & when you boot you add "dsl restore={hda1}" (If your partition is called hda1). You really need to read the pages I linked to. I'm slightly confused as to whether you've installed DSL to your hard drive or you're just saving your config. or have you done either "Apps->Tools->Install to Hard Drive" or "Apps->Tools->Frugal Install" (worth doing if there's room on your hard drive for 50 MB)

Old 12-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
jbander

Original Poster
Quote:
The file is always called "backup.tar.gz" - wants that name of the partition or device, eg sda1 or hda1 etc. So all you need to do is specify your partition(*not* the directory like /home etc) & when you boot you add "dsl restore={hda1}" (If your partition is called hda1). You really need to read the pages I linked to. I'm slightly confused as to whether you've installed DSL to your hard drive or you're just saving your config. or have you done either "Apps->Tools->Install to Hard Drive" or "Apps->Tools->Frugal Install" (worth doing if there's room on your hard drive for 50 MB)
*******************Ok I think I have it,it's all another language to me. Correct me if I'm wrong I have to find out what my hard drive is called. There is only one thing on my hard drive and that is DSL, so is it called hda1, is that correct. so is this all I have to type in the line (hda1)or do I have to name it like hda1.fred or whatever. Then when i boot up I have to write "dsl restore={hda1}" I'm not at the other computer now so I'll have to try it tomorrow. Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
andywebsdale

Yes, but the thing I'm also getting at is that if you have actually installed DSL on your hard drive, then you should just be able to run it like a normal system. It depends which DSL install option you chose I think. If you've done the "Frugal Install" then its the same as the Live CD, but if you did the "Install to Hard Disk" option it runs like a normal system. If you look at the "Configuration" link above it explains any details - The old 'joke' RTFM still is good advice. If you've got 300 Meg to spare then the "Install to Hard Disk" option would mean you wouldn't have to worry about all that other stuff about restoring settings - it would run just like a normal system.
If you're new to Linux in general then you might be better off installing say Linux Mint(Linux Torvalds desktop Linux apparently ) for example. DSL is an excellent distro but I think of it more as an emergency boot disk or a no-frills distro for low-powered or legacy PCs. Something like Linux Mint is as full-featured as a fully loaded Windows 7 system & a lot more besides.
What are the specs of your system, like what disks are there in this PC & how are they(or it) partitioned? It would help to know a bit more about your setup

Old 12-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
jbander

Original Poster
Quote:
Yes, but the thing I'm also getting at is that if you have actually installed DSL on your hard drive, then you should just be able to run it like a normal system. It depends which DSL install option you chose I think. If you've done the "Frugal Install" then its the same as the Live CD, but if you did the "Install to Hard Disk" option it runs like a normal system. If you look at the "Configuration" link above it explains any details - The old 'joke' RTFM still is good advice. If you've got 300 Meg to spare then the "Install to Hard Disk" option would mean you wouldn't have to worry about all that other stuff about restoring settings - it would run just like a normal system.
If you're new to Linux in general then you might be better off installing say Linux Mint(Linux Torvalds desktop Linux apparently ) for example. DSL is an excellent distro but I think of it more as an emergency boot disk or a no-frills distro for low-powered or legacy PCs. Something like Linux Mint is as full-featured as a fully loaded Windows 7 system & a lot more besides.
What are the specs of your system, like what disks are there in this PC & how are they(or it) partitioned? It would help to know a bit more about your setup
Oh good, It's on the the hard drive but I thought I still had to name the file or were the settings are kept. I tried Puppy, ubuntu and mint but all of them had problems and I just don't have the knowledge in linux to fix the problems. The computer I'm setting up has 256 mb 10 g hardrive and is as old as my worn out shoes. My significant other just needs it for Email and facebook and solitary. When and if she needs more, I'll have to address that later.. I'm hoping maybe mint, read a lot of good things about it.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
andywebsdale

Yes but only if you do/did "Install to Hard Disk" rather than "Frugal Install" - I'd make double sure IIWY