LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2023, 08:05 PM   #1
linux_dad
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
dbus error messages - bluetooth issues after system update

Good day all,

I'm running a script on my RPi Zero 2 W using Bullseye 64-bit OS using a long range bluetooth adapter (LM1010). Been running for a year now without too many issue. The script simply connects to a couple of my BT adapters in my backyard shed solar panel system, and dumps the data on my MQTT broker (for Home Assistant).

The script can be found here
It uses python-dbus.

However, yesterday, I ran just your normal system updates 'sudo apt-get update then upgrade', now when I try to run the script, I get these errors.

Code:
INFO: Adapter status - Powered: True
INFO: Starting discovery...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gatt/gatt_linux.py", line 156, in stop_discovery
    self._adapter.StopDiscovery()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 141, in __call__
    return self._connection.call_blocking(self._named_service,
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 652, in call_blocking
    reply_message = self.send_message_with_reply_and_block(
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownObject: Method "StopDiscovery" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Adapter1" doesn't exist

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/home/pi/solar-monitor/solar-monitor.py", line 84, in <module>
    device_manager.stop_discovery()
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gatt/gatt_linux.py", line 161, in stop_discovery
    raise _error_from_dbus_error(e)
gatt.errors.Failed: Method "StopDiscovery" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Adapter1" doesn't exist
and eventually, after many attempts to try the start the script, the error message turns to this:

Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/solar-monitor $ python3 solar-monitor.py
  File "/home/pi/solar-monitor/solar-monitor.py", line 53, in <module>
    [logging.info](http://logging.info/)("Adapter status - Powered: {}".format(device_manager.is_adapter_powered))
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gatt/gatt_linux.py", line 53, in is_adapter_powered
    return self._adapter_properties.Get('org.bluez.Adapter1', 'Powered') == 1
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 72, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 141, in __call__
    return self._connection.call_blocking(self._named_service,
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 634, in call_blocking
    reply_message = self.send_message_with_reply_and_block(
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownObject: Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
I'm kind of stuck and regret updating (if that was what cause the issue).

I completely wiped my RPi and started from scratch, and installed all the libraries again in the requirements file, but same problem exists.

Any idea how to solve such a problem?

thank you