LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
mfoley

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 177Reputation: 177
I no longer get email notifications when a reply is posted to my threads

I used to be notified via email when someone posted a reply to my threads. For quite some time I have not received any such notifications. They are not going to my spam folder.

It would certainly make it easier to make timely responses if I were to get an email notice of a reply. Otherwise, I have to remember to check the thread periodically to see if there are any new responses.

Is there some reason I no longer get email notifications?

Old 07-30-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
boughtonp

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546

This comes up frequently.
Goto https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/lq-suggestions-and-feedback-7
Press Ctrl-F and type "email notifications".

Quote:
I have to remember to check the thread periodically to see if there are any new responses.
Even without email notifications, you don't need to check individual threads: LQ UserCP" will list any threads you have subscribed to that have new responses, and I'm fairly sure "Subscribed Threads" will also highlight them in bold.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #3
mfoley

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by boughtonp View Post
This comes up frequently.
[deleted]

Even without email notifications, you don't need to check individual threads: LQ UserCP" will list any threads you have subscribed to that have new responses, and I'm fairly sure "Subscribed Threads" will also highlight them in bold.

I've checked the threads you've referenced. my Profile > Options > Edit Options, setting: "When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread. Default Thread Subscription Mode:" is set to 'Daily email notificaiton'. That doesn't happen. I still don't know why I don't get the notifications.

Your suggestion to "list any threads you have subscribed to" is basically what I am now doing. This still entails me going to the LQ site proactively to see if there are any responses. What I want is what I used to have: an email sent to my personal email address telling me someone has responded.

Furthermore, when I go to https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...n&folderid=all, in the notifications column, all my threads are un-checked, even for the new thread I posted today. Checking them all seems to have no effect. There is no "Save" button to save this notification checkbox setting and when I go back to that page later they are all un-checked again.

Is this feature simply broken?

Last edited by mfoley; 08-22-2021 at 08:30 PM.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:23 PM   #4
mfoley

Original Poster
Interestingly, 2 1/2 hours after the above post, I actually got an email on an question I posted earlier yesterday. I don't think I changed any of my settings. Maybe "someone" at LQ saw this issue and did something. We'll see if the emails continue! I'm going to give this some time before I mark it as "solved".

Old 08-23-2021, 01:28 AM   #5
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoley View Post
Interestingly, 2 1/2 hours after the above post, I actually got an email on an question I posted earlier yesterday.
A delay could have occured at various points, in- or outside the LQ website.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
mfoley

Original Poster
So far, I've been getting email notices. Thanks to whoever fixed this!