LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Other *NIX
User Name
Password
Other *NIX This forum is for the discussion of any UNIX platform that does not have its own forum. Examples would include HP-UX, IRIX, Darwin, Tru64 and OS X.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2020, 03:23 AM   #1
OliverYY
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Is it possible to recover data from MacBook Pro 2018 with a T2 chip

I have a constant black screen on my MacBook Pro 13. Twice within the last six months I have inadvertently let the battery drain completely. Thinking this might be the problem, I replaced the battery and did an SMC reset. The power cord changed colors like it’s supposed to and the battery seems to be charging but it still won’t turn on. Right now I really only need to get my documents off there (all data would be great).

I know that my MacBook Pro is secured by T2 chip and its data recovery port has been removed from the motherboard by apple. That means I can't get lost data back? Is it possible to recover the data? Can I do it on my own or I have to send it to a professional. Thank you.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:03 AM   #2
fatmac
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.

Quote:
And with the Apple T2 Security Chip, everything is automatically encrypted on the fly.
Looking at that, & some other details from their website, you will need to be able to decrypt your data even if you manage to access it, so it looks like you will require professional, & likely very expensive, help to retrieve your data.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:05 AM   #3
OliverYY
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmac View Post
Looking at that, & some other details from their website, you will need to be able to decrypt your data even if you manage to access it, so it looks like you will require professional, & likely very expensive, help to retrieve your data.
Thanks for your kind reply. Yeah, I know the data recovery center would be expensive. So I searched in Google and found a software called iBoysoft Data Recovery, which claim it's the only one that can recover data from T2-secured MacBook: https://iboysoft.com/mac-data-recove...-recovery.html. But it is $$$. I'm hesitating...

I have never heard about this software...Do you know this software? Or do you know any softwre can solve this problem?

Old 08-21-2020, 04:33 AM   #4
fatmac
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.

Looks like it might be the only way, the question really is, is your data worth the cost(?).

I've never used or owned a Mac myself, always thinking they were overpriced for what they were, so don't have any real knowledge of how they operate, only what I've read, & that is that they have their own layers on top of FreeBSD, so even knowing BSD won't help.

(It's a hard lesson to learn, but having back ups of your data on external media is so important.)