LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2020, 01:47 AM   #1
austinramsay

Rep: Reputation: 31
Garbage output in console, yet X starts fine - Sun Ultra 45 XVR-100

Been struggling getting a Sun Ultra 45 workstation up and running with a fresh install of 6.7. Having issues with an Ultra 10 too, but I'll save that for another time lol. The Ultra 45 is running a Sun XVR-100 graphics card which is basically a Radeon 7000 (RV100 chip) except with Sun firmware on it. Once X starts, everything works fine so no issue on the X side of things using the 'radeon' driver. However, the problem is everything before X starts. Once the console comes up all I see is black and white random lines all across the screen. No readable characters just random lines everywhere. I can see the console scrolling since the lines keep moving up but obviously something is wrong!

--------------------------

Full 'dmesg' output here: https://pastebin.com/dTQYUx9F

Some important lines from there:
- "initializing kernel modesetting (RV100 0x1002:0x5159 0x1002:0x0908 0x00)." -- seeing the RV100 on this line would seem like this is proper configuration but I have no idea what the hex represents after it?
- "wsdisplay0" at radeondrm0 mux 1: console (std, sun emulation), using wskbd0

Should 'radeondrm0' from that line be 'radeonfb0'?
After reading the 'wsdisplay' man page and referencing the /usr/include/dev/wscons/wsconsio.h header, there is a 'WSDISPLAY_TYPE_RADEONFB' with a corresponding comment of 'Sun XVR-100' listed next to it on line 430. A few lines down there is 'WSDISPLAY_TYPE_RADEONDRM' with a corresponding comment of 'ATI Radeon KMS framebuffer' next to it on line 439. This is what the chosen display type is showing in my dmesg output.

Could this be the issue? If so, how do I change this option? Is this done through the 'config' command?

I realized that there is a line I probably should have paid more attention to in the dmesg output...
In the line above 'radeondrm0: 1152x900, 8bpp', it says 'BIOS signature incorrect 0 0'
Would that mean the driver it's trying to use doesn't match a compatible card for the driver?

Currently I see under 'config':

- 'wsdisplay* at pcons0|agten*|bwtwo*|cgsix*|cgthree*|cgtwelve*|creator*|creator*|gfxp*|ifb*|machfb*|mgx*|radeonfb*|r aptor*|rfx*|twtwo*|vgafb*|vigra*|zx*|radeondrm* console -1 primary -1 mux 1 flags 0x0'

but I honestly have no idea what that means since it just looks like a entire list of every Sun framebuffer driver out there lol.

The terminal emulation is set properly, per the 'wscons' man page: "The 'sun' console emulation is available by default on the sparc64 architecture" but I don't think that has anything to do with displaying the screen anyway.

Any ideas or tips on what to look for next would be appreciated! This is the first time I have used OpenBSD. Hopefully whatever the issue is could help me out with the Ultra 10 issues too, which seem to be the complete opposite than what this is doing since it has a working console but garbage output when starting X!

Images here:
https://ibb.co/0cR7Lzs
https://ibb.co/cvY48B1

Last edited by austinramsay; 06-03-2020 at 01:50 AM.