LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
vincix

Distribution: Ubuntu, Centos

Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
postfix allows mail relaying for any random subdomains

I'm running a postfix send-only mail relay (postfix-3.4.5) with restrictions per IPs (my networks, that is to say) and a restriction for domains that can be used to send e-mails for.
The latter is being enforced using the following directive:
Code:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_recipient_domain, check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/allowed_senders, reject
/etc/postfix/allowed_senders (already mapped to db)
Code:
domain.eu	OK
domain.com	OK
example.de	OK
The problem is that postfix also accepts the relay of e-mails for any random subdomains of these main domains and I haven't yet found a solution for rejecting this.
This works when I enforce login maps, for instance, so that certain users can send e-mails using only certain e-mail addresses, but this mail relay is configured differently and I would have expected being able to allow only the domains I'm specifying, and not any other subdomains.

Any ideas?

Old 03-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincix View Post
I'm running a postfix send-only mail relay (postfix-3.4.5) with restrictions per IPs (my networks, that is to say) and a restriction for domains that can be used to send e-mails for.
The latter is being enforced using the following directive:
Code:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_recipient_domain, check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/allowed_senders, reject
/etc/postfix/allowed_senders (already mapped to db)
Code:
domain.eu	OK
domain.com	OK
example.de	OK
The problem is that postfix also accepts the relay of e-mails for any random subdomains of these main domains and I haven't yet found a solution for rejecting this.
This works when I enforce login maps, for instance, so that certain users can send e-mails using only certain e-mail addresses, but this mail relay is configured differently and I would have expected being able to allow only the domains I'm specifying, and not any other subdomains.
Seen this once before, but it's been a while. Run
Code:
postconf -n
...and see if the smtpd_access_maps directive is enabled. If so, remove it from your config and bounce postfix. Found in the postfix manual.
http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html

From that page:
Code:
domain.tld
              Matches domain.tld as the domain part of an email address.

The pattern domain.tld also matches subdomains,  but  only  when
              the  string  smtpd_access_maps  is  listed  in  the Postfix par-
              ent_domain_matches_subdomains configuration setting.

Last edited by TB0ne; 03-31-2020 at 08:41 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
vincix

Distribution: Ubuntu, Centos

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It did work indeed by removing the smtpd_access_maps from the parent_domain_matches_subdomains:
Code:
parent_domain_matches_subdomains = debug_peer_list,fast_flush_domains,mynetworks,permit_mx_backup_networks,qmqpd_authorized_clients,relay_domains
It seems to also work by eliminating all the values:
Code:
parent_domain_matches_subdomains =
But to be honest, I can't understand exactly why. Would you happen to know why?

Thanks for the help, anyway, it solved the problem.

Tags
mail, postfix, relaying, restrict