LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Enterprise Linux Forums > Linux - Enterprise
User Name
Password
Linux - Enterprise This forum is for all items relating to using Linux in the Enterprise.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
manf0001
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Backup options

Hello,

I'm working for a Small business and we are looking at moving our servers to Linux. I'm looking at Red Hat and possibly using Proxmox or Redhat's Virtual platform.

I come from a Windows admin background so I'm still learning but I do know how to do things, I'm just not a power user yet. One of the things that I've learned is don't think like Windows (which can be hard to break out of the habit) I'm wondering about backups for Linux. I've seen alot of options, like Bacula that seems to be more robust option, but also individual projects such as Borg, rsync, Rear, which seem to provide one or the other.

Example, I would like to have a backup solution that I can do Baremetal backup/recovery (which Rear does) but also to be able to restore individual files, in case someone deletes a file. (which Borg does) I've seen people say oh no for Linux you don't need baremetal, just resinstall and restore your rsync/borg backups.

I'm looking for feedback to see what others are doing for their linux backup solutions.

Thanks.

Last edited by manf0001; 01-02-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:40 AM   #2
agillator

Distribution: Mint 19.1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I would suggest you look at systems using rsync since they will copy files only when changed. Specifically I would recommend rsnapshot since it maintains periodic snapshots (daily, weekly and monthly is their suggestion) and uses hard links instead of actual copies of files. The only physical copy of a file is the first until/unless the file changes. But you don't see that, you see a normal list of files. Linux handles hard links very nicely and this allows speed and relatively low disk usage. A system based on rsync will maintain copies of files which means you can restore individual files if necessary.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by manf0001 View Post
Hello,
I'm working for a Small business and we are looking at moving our servers to Linux. I'm looking at Red Hat and possibly using Proxmox or Redhat's Virtual platform.

I come from a Windows admin background so I'm still learning but I do know how to do things, I'm just not a power user yet. One of the things that I've learned is don't think like Windows (which can be hard to break out of the habit) I'm wondering about backups for Linux. I've seen alot of options, like Bacula that seems to be more robust option, but also individual projects such as Borg, rsync, Rear, which seem to provide one or the other.

Example, I would like to have a backup solution that I can do Baremetal backup/recovery (which Rear does) but also to be able to restore individual files, in case someone deletes a file. (which Borg does) I've seen people say oh no for Linux you don't need baremetal, just resinstall and restore your rsync/borg backups. I'm looking for feedback to see what others are doing for their linux backup solutions.
The term "backups" is a bit vague. Do you mean "make a copy periodically", or do you mean **BACKUPS**, as in long term storage of versions, snapshotting, file versioning, etc., etc.?? What media are you backing up to? There are LOTS of variables to consider...and there are also legal requirements depending on the business. Sarbanes-Oxley comes into play if you do ANYTHING related to finance, and you HAVE TO keep seven years of backups.

That said, if you're just talking about keeping copies in case something dies, I'd agree with the assessment of not having bare-metal images. Fairly pointless unless you're in a large enterprise where you've got a thousand servers with complex configs. A bare-metal recovery takes as much time (typically), as loading the OS from scratch...about 30 minutes or so either way. If you lay the system out right, you'll have your actual DATA (databases, user files, home directories, etc.) on their own partition, and back IT up frequently. And as an admin, you'll know what system config files you've touched/played with, so you can add those to the to-be-backed-up list easily. Not much need to back up gigs of data for no purpose.

And a lot of this depends on your budget. If you've got some cash to throw around, you have more options. If you're talking about backing up a couple of servers and some user data, you can probably get a NAS device with some big drives in it, and do your backups over the wire, and be able to go back in time a little ways. Rsync and borg are decent choices and are fairly simple to maintain and use. Things get even simpler if you're using VMware or have virtual servers, since you can copy the entire server image off, and get EVERYTHING as a single file. Granted, a single-file restore is more complex, since you have to spin up the virtual image and copy the file off, but weigh that against how often you'll have to do it.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:19 AM   #4
berndbausch
LQ Addict

Distribution: Mostly Ubuntu and Centos

Rep: Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avani123 View Post
delighted with your work [removed]
I reported this account already.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #5
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137
I second the use of rsync. It is a venerable, versatile, and tested command.

If you want a GUI interface, Back in Time is an excellent GUI front-end for rsync.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
scasey
LQ Veteran

Distribution: CentOS 7.9.2009

Rep: Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211
+1 for rsnapshot...it uses rsync, so +2 for rsync (unless I lost count)

Old 04-30-2020, 01:11 AM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald

Distribution: Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3

Rep: Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
...If you want a GUI interface, Back in Time is an excellent GUI front-end for rsync.
Timeshift is another front end for rsync and is easy to use and is excellent for backing up the System. However, it is not well suited for backing up data. For that, I suggest FreeFileSync. It is easier to use if you have your data on a separate drive or partition from the system.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 04-30-2020 at 01:13 AM.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:37 AM   #8
OliverYY
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If you have access to the physical hardware and a space to backup (disk drive, USB, etc), you can clone the disk using any one of the many image backup solutions available. A functional equivalent when dealing with VPS machines is to take a snapshot or image from within the control panel interface.