LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
TerrySteichen
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to implement printer sharing on Ubuntu 19.10

In all previous Ubuntu distributions, it was easy and straightforward to share a printer across the local network. However, with 19.10, there doesn't seem to be an option to share a locally-connected printer. I may be missing something, but if anyone has some information on this, I'd much appreciate it.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
ferrari
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE Leap

Rep: Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139
That ability is intrinsic to CUPS so not hard to configure. Essentially edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf so that it is listening to port 631 (refer <Listen directive>), and allow access from all local interfaces (refer <Location> directive). That is explained in these guides...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...rinter_sharing
http://chschneider.eu/linux/server/cups.shtml
https://www.cups.org/doc/man-cupsd.conf.html

For each printer you have defined in/etc/cups/printers.conf, you can allow sharing of a given printer with the 'Shared' option ie
Code:
Shared Yes
CUPS should be stopped when editing that file directly, or you can just use this command instead
Code:
sudo cupsctl --share-printers
It may also be necessary to adjust your firewall to allow discovery via DNS-SD, and CUPS IPP traffic using port 631.

Hope that is enough to get you started.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
TerrySteichen
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks much. I used your advice. Didn't work at first. Then it did. Not sure which was cause and which was effect (which is why I'm late in responding). But I'm sure your advice helped a lot.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
ferrari
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE Leap

Rep: Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139
Hard to tell without knowing exactly what you did (or being over your shoulder), but glad to read of your success with this anyway!

Old 12-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
TerrySteichen
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Soon as I have some free time, I'm going to try to share the same printer when hosted on a different 19.10 machine (since it's no longer urgent since I have it working fine as a shared printer on one machine on my local network). Will try to be more deliberative and let you know more precisely what I tried and what came of it. Again, thanks much for your help.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
TerrySteichen
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Turns out, Ubuntu 19.10 DOES have a way to share printers. At the very bottom of the printer display, there's a button which brings up the conventional (for Ubuntu) printer options, which include sharing.

I did have another very strange problem, seemingly related problem. I was printing fine (to a new Brother HL-L2320D laser printer) when all of a sudden, the printer balked and would only print the first page (and sometimes not even that). After several hours of trying this and that, I discovered that the (email) document I was printing had some text inserted from a Word document, and the printer was balking at that. The problem ONLY showed up when accessing the printer (via sharing) from another machine, and ONLY on this particular printer.

Thanks again, ferrari, for your help.

Tags
printer sharing, ubuntu