LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
FTIO

Distribution: Slackware 15.0 x64, Slackware Live 15.0 x64

Rep: Reputation: 360Reputation: 360Reputation: 360Reputation: 360
liveslak with Plasma5...

I just put this (the latest from Alienbob's site) onto my flashdrive and booted into it.

It ran nice and quick, compared to the couple of times I'd tried it in the past few years.

Nothing really special though, except of course KDE has changed a few niggling things (to me), but no show stopper.

What *IS* the showstopper for me though, is that the sound must be pulseaudio.

5.1 stereo setup doesn't work, nor 4.1 or anything else except 2.0 stereo, all on my old soundblaster Live.

I saw good ol' 'kmix' in the menu and thought, this will fix things!

Nope...click on kmix and nothing happens, but if you go down the menu of the multimedia, there's the pulseaudio thing, click on it and it pops q window right up. Thing is, it's nothing different than what's in the system setup thing, so it was no help, as usual.

Looks like I'm going to have to stay with my raggedly hax0red 14.2 x64 (to get the nasty pulseaudio crapware out of it) and my 32 bit 14.1 to play my music and movies correctly. Bummer, as I was looking forward to the latest and greatest Slackware so I could finally install some things that have a need for updated libraries that I can't put on these systems. Meh. Pulseaudio - 'We'll fix what ain't broke!'.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
david63025

Distribution: Slackware64-15.0

Rep: Reputation: 24
Slackware64-current includes pure-alsa-system in /extra. Check out the README. Do those packages do what you want to do?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #3
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106
Quote:
Originally Posted by david63025 View Post
Slackware64-current includes pure-alsa-system in /extra. Check out the README. Do those packages do what you want to do?
Plasma5 is not part of Slackware itself, so there's a couple of packages you would have to recompile yourself after installing 'pure-alsa-system' packages. It is entirely possible to remove pulseaudio from Plasma5, but that is not the scope of the Slackware Live Plasma5 ISO.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
FTIO

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by david63025 View Post
Are you talking about an '/extra' on Alienbob's site? I can't seem to find that anywhere...unless it's inside the iso and I'll see it on my flashdrive when I boot it up (not Plasma5, but I'll try 'current' with liveslak)?

I've looked all over here http://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/slackware-live/ if it's there, I think I'm losing my mind, because Alienbob also had to tell me where the iso2usb.sh file was to download...for some reason I'd spent at least an hour looking for it and couldn't find it for the life of me.

<addendum> Meh...never mind, I found it, but it's in the 'current', not the liveslak 'current'. Maybe I'll try it anyway on the liveslak 'current' just to see what happens. If I can remember, I'll report what happens.

Last edited by FTIO; 11-23-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:50 AM   #5
FTIO

Original Poster
Okay, I tried using the pure-alsa thing in the liveslak on both the plasma 5 and the plain current.

When I rebooted, it caused both to get me to the place where I fill in my password (live), then it would blank out for a second and come right back to that again. It would do this over and over. Even trying to pick something different in the lower left-hand corner, like Plasma 5 with Wayland, or any of the choices, that would just freeze up the susytem for a hard reset.

A real bummer. There's a distro that is based off Devuan that uses alsa instead of this abortion of pulseaudio, but their live version isn't persistent. I'll see if they can somehow mkae it so though as it worked nicely when I was testing it.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTIO View Post
Okay, I tried using the pure-alsa thing in the liveslak on both the plasma 5 and the plain current.

When I rebooted, it caused both to get me to the place where I fill in my password (live), then it would blank out for a second and come right back to that again. It would do this over and over. Even trying to pick something different in the lower left-hand corner, like Plasma 5 with Wayland, or any of the choices, that would just freeze up the susytem for a hard reset.

A real bummer. There's a distro that is based off Devuan that uses alsa instead of this abortion of pulseaudio, but their live version isn't persistent. I'll see if they can somehow mkae it so though as it worked nicely when I was testing it.
You're either going to need to do the legwork yourself and rebuild the required packages of Plasma5 without pulseaudio and roll them into your own Slackware Live or just wait until Pat adds Plasma5 to Slackware and then roll them into your own Slackware Live.

Just because you don't like pulseaudio doesn't mean a bunch of others are going to bend over backwards to support your pure-alsa system. Be glad that Pat has provided you the option in -current.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
ZhaoLin1457

Rep: Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208
Quote:
A real bummer.
That's what you get when you swim against the river, what you expect?

However, I think your post is really important as a demonstration of what looks like being a strategical error: the very existence of pure-alsa.

From what was started as an option and as "extra" alternative, now you expect that that "extra" option to be supported by every major Slackware project? Even by something really huge like Plasma5?

For who? For you and others, no more than a handful ones?

Last edited by ZhaoLin1457; 11-27-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #8
Jan K.

Distribution: Windows 7...

Rep: Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489
Quote:
Okay, I tried using the pure-alsa thing in the liveslak on both the plasma 5 and the plain current...
Do you mean, that these steps are not correct? And following them will fail?

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Don't like PulseAudio?
# Fine, we're not going to force you to use it.
#
# To eliminate PulseAudio from your system and switch to using pure ALSA,
# first remove the following packages:

removepkg --terse pulseaudio pamixer pavucontrol xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin

# Next, install the packages in this directory:

upgradepkg --install-new --terse *.txz

# Move the new asound.conf into place:

echo "Moving /etc/asound.conf.new to /etc/asound.conf:"
mv --verbose /etc/asound.conf.new /etc/asound.conf

# Make rc.alsa executable so that volume is properly restored:
echo "Making /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa executable."
chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa

# You may need to reboot at this point to make sure there are no running
# PulseAudio processes, or any binaries still mapping the PulseAudio libraries.
# If you use Xfce, you'll probably want to add the xfce4-mixer plugin (named
# "audio mixer" in the menu) to the panel.
#
# If you run this README file as a script, it will do all of these things for
# you except for adding the audio mixer to the Xfce panel:
#
# sh README
#
# Caveats:
# Bluetooth audio will no longer work.
# Third party packages that link to PulseAudio will need to be rebuilt.
#
# Enjoy! :-)

Old 11-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #9
FTIO

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan K. View Post
Do you mean, that these steps are not correct? And following them will fail?

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Don't like PulseAudio?
# Fine, we're not going to force you to use it.
#
# To eliminate PulseAudio from your system and switch to using pure ALSA,
# first remove the following packages:

removepkg --terse pulseaudio pamixer pavucontrol xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin

# Next, install the packages in this directory:

upgradepkg --install-new --terse *.txz

# Move the new asound.conf into place:

echo "Moving /etc/asound.conf.new to /etc/asound.conf:"
mv --verbose /etc/asound.conf.new /etc/asound.conf

# Make rc.alsa executable so that volume is properly restored:
echo "Making /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa executable."
chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa

# You may need to reboot at this point to make sure there are no running
# PulseAudio processes, or any binaries still mapping the PulseAudio libraries.
# If you use Xfce, you'll probably want to add the xfce4-mixer plugin (named
# "audio mixer" in the menu) to the panel.
#
# If you run this README file as a script, it will do all of these things for
# you except for adding the audio mixer to the Xfce panel:
#
# sh README
#
# Caveats:
# Bluetooth audio will no longer work.
# Third party packages that link to PulseAudio will need to be rebuilt.
#
# Enjoy! :-)
Yes, on the *live* slackware, that I had on a flashdrive. I ran the readme as a script, as it suggested can be done, and it caused both versions of the liveslak I wanted to use to keep doing what I said happened. Remember too, in an early post by AlienBOB in this thread that he stated this script really wasn't meant to be used on the Plasma5 (at least, I presumed), so I tried it on both, just to make sure - the 'current' live and the 'Plasma5' live.

As for all the jerks with the other posts...all I was doing was letting people who may also want or have wanted to try out the 'pure-alsa' thing too and what happened. Nothing more, nothing less. I can't be 'bummed' that it didn't work? As for the 'handful' that might have liked that it did work...an example of that would be I guess since queers and trannies are the extreme minority they shouldn't get any considerations for anything other than mainstream too (I'm neither of those, just stating a fact *YOU* seem to not care about ZhaoLin1457)? What a bunch of angry, petty little pissants you people can be at times.

Last edited by FTIO; 11-29-2019 at 07:51 AM.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:06 AM   #10
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
Quote:
What a bunch of angry, petty little pissants you people can be at times.
This is cute coming from someone who calls a piece of software an "abortion".

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #11
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Let's all keep things pleasant from here on, OK?