LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile
User Name
Password
Linux - Mobile This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Mobile Linux. This includes Android, Tizen, Sailfish OS, Replicant, Ubuntu Touch, webOS, and other similar projects and products.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
mark_alfred

Distribution: Ubuntu Linux 16.04, Debian 10, LineageOS 14.1

Rep: Reputation: 210Reputation: 210Reputation: 210
I'm hoping to convert an Android app into an Ubuntu Touch app

Hello. First, the admission: I know nothing about programming. Thus, I'm perhaps wasting my time. However, I figure when nothing is ventured then nothing can be gained. Also, please forgive me if some of my terminology (word usage) is incorrect. Some interpretation may be required when reading my post here.

Some background: I bought an old Galaxy Nexus a while back. It had Android 4 on it. I duckduckgo searched, and discovered how to install LineageOS 13 on it (equivalent to Android 6.0.1). Official support then ended for the Galaxy Nexus from LineageOS, and so I learned how to create new unofficial builds for it to keep it as up-to-date as possible. I quite like this phone, though it's limited given that it only has one gig of RAM. I set it up without GAPPS, as I am trying to limit my exposure to entities like Google who, I feel, are simply monitoring and manipulating me for ad revenues (1). So, for that phone, I rely upon F-Droid.

At F-Droid, I found two applications that I quite like, one being OsmAnd~ and the other being GTFSOffline. The first allows for offline location mapping and directions, and the second allows a user to discover bus route and stop information for transit lines when offline. The reason offline is important to me is I can't afford the high cost of data (and also I'd rather not have to rely on online services such as Google to tap into such information).

I recently bought an LG Nexus 5 phone, which has two gigs of RAM. This too is an old phone, though newer than my Galaxy Nexus. This phone is compatible with the Ubuntu Touch OS, which I installed upon it.

I like Ubuntu Touch, given that it allows for Linux command-line programs to be installed via APT in the phone's terminal. Android apps do not work in it, though there is an emulator, in the same vein as WINE, called Anbox. Like WINE, it works so-so. It did not work with either of the above applications that I cited. And there are not a huge amount of native Ubuntu Touch apps available (though the basic apps, like the phone, browser, media player, and camera, work well).

So, I hope to learn how I can rewrite GTFSOffline for Ubuntu Touch (I'm optimistic that a current mapping app, Pure Maps, that's available for Ubuntu Touch will, in the next couple of months, be developed with offline capabilities, so I'm not worried about OsmAnd~ for the time being).

Here is the source for GTFSOffline. It seems to be mostly java.

Here's the documentation for Ubuntu Touch apps: http://docs.ubports.com/en/latest/appdev/index.html

I followed some of that documentation, and, via Clickable and Qt Creator, did produce some very basic apps (IE, one being "Hello World"). I just wonder if it might be possible to somehow take the source from the Android app (the java files) and compile them into an Ubuntu Touch program, perhaps using Qt Creator within a template that has been created by the Clickable program. Or perhaps via some other method? Or perhaps it's simply not possible?

Old 09-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
astrogeek

Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=15, FreeBSD_12{.0|.1}

Rep: Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194
That is a fairly ambitious project to undertake without any programming knowledge, but I encourage you to continue!

The obvious way to approach this is to identify as exactly as possible the differences between the original platform the code runs on and the target platform on which you want to compile and run it. If it does not compile on the target platform, then the place to begin would be to understand and correct if possible any compiler error messages. If it compiles but does not work correctly, you will need to identify as precisely as possible what it is that is actually not working and explore why that may be. In other words, try to discover which questions to ask!

The scope of this question is not really appropriate for the Programming forum, as may be indicated by the lack of replies. You may receive a better response by asking in the Linux Mobile forum, or at AndroidQuestions.

Once you have identified the main differences between the platforms and understand and explore some of the necessary changes required of the code you may get more specific help with those here in the Programming forum.

To have your thread move to another forum please use the Report button to request the change, otherwise we will leave it here for the time being.

Good luck!

Last edited by astrogeek; 09-16-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: tpoy

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Does UBports have their own forum?
I think you should ask for help there.
Maybe after you've initially mapped the scope of the work.
Maybe some questions to ask:
- are changes required to the UI only or also to the functionality itself?
- does UBports use the same UI framework as Android? If yes, what changes are necessary? If not, how would one port it from one to the other?
(Android uses a java-based UI)
Also can't hurt to ask the main developer of the app; I'm sure that they at least approve.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
mark_alfred

Original Poster
Hello astrogeek and ondoho. As suggested, I did request the thread to be moved to Linux Mobile. And yes, UBports does have its own forum. That would be the logical place to ask stuff like this. I think I'll have to dive deeper into it and come up with some specific questions -- right now it's, well, just me rambling.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
astrogeek

Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=15, FreeBSD_12{.0|.1}

Rep: Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194
Thread has been moved to Linux Mobile.

Good luck in your quest!

Old 10-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
mark_alfred

Original Poster
[edit] ...

Last edited by mark_alfred; 10-06-2019 at 02:00 PM.