LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #76
toddly

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Ultimately, after trying numerous fixes, I purged lightdm, removed leftovers (autoremove), then installed a different dm (lxdm). Initially, it didn't work because cinnamon was apparently completely gone, so I had to reinstall cinnamon, then got my desktop back minus many critical programs. For instance, I cannot gain access to terminal, have no program manager, firefox is missing, and so on. So it seems I finally resolved one problem but now have several new problems. Do I need to do an update at this point? Do I need to purge then reinstall other things, like xorg, greeters, gnome? As usual, I am clueless about the causes and how to proceed.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #77
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE 24/7; Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066
The new trouble deserves a new thread with a suitable subject.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #78
toddly

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I'm closing this thread, as the problem has now changed

Whether purging lightdm and installing lxdm was the proper fix, and whether it was done improperly, is now a moot point. I've got my desktop back, but with new big problems. And as mrmazda said, new problems deserve a new thread. So, here is the new thread:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...65#post6047865
ACTUALLY, SOMEBODY CLOSED THAT THREAD, AND I CAN'T REOPEN IT. SO I WILL ATTEMPT TO RESTART AN IDENTICAL THREAD AND POST THE URL BELOW:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...41#post6048241
Thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited by toddly; 10-18-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: misspelling, addition, url

Tags
boot issues, ldm, updates