LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #1
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android

Rep: Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322
Headers Issue

I updated to ~Current last Autumn, and, for once, everything seemed to bed down and work (Unlike previous experiences) except I get a lot of log spam, particularly from kernels, in the form of header warnings. Things Build, (LFS built!) but it's hardly kosher. Here's a sample
Quote:
./include/linux/syscalls.h:196:36: note: in expansion of macro ‘SYSCALL_DEFINEx’
#define SYSCALL_DEFINE1(name, ...) SYSCALL_DEFINEx(1, _##name, __VA_ARGS__)
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kernel/fork.c:2319:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘SYSCALL_DEFINE1’
SYSCALL_DEFINE1(unshare, unsigned long, unshare_flags)
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
./include/linux/syscalls.h:211:18: warning: ‘sys_clone’ alias between functions of incompatible types ‘long int(long unsigned int, long unsigned int, int *, int *, long unsigned int)’ and ‘long int(long int, long int, long int, long int, long int)’ [-Wattribute-alias]
asmlinkage long sys##name(__MAP(x,__SC_DECL,__VA_ARGS__)) \
^~~
I'm seeing a lot of that first error. Any idea what might be up, considering everything works?

EDIT: I'm on target for ~2MB of header errors in the error file.

Last edited by business_kid; 11-14-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #2

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
I'm seeing a lot of that first error. Any idea what might be up, considering everything works?
That's not 3 errors; that's 1 warning.

Each new version of gcc introduces additional checks that try to find code that might be bad. You've moved to -current, so you have a new version of gcc.

Old code + new compiler = new warnings.

Those warnings are not for you; those warnings are for the upstream developers.

It takes upstream developers some time to try the latest version of gcc, and more time to decide whether there are real problems with their code. (Usually there is no real problem, because it's code that has been in use for years.) Then they need more time to decide whether to mess with their code anyway to make the warnings go away (risky), or to suppress the warnings with compiler flags.

Eventually, if the upstream developers care enough, a new version of the software will come out that makes most of the noise go away ... until the next new compiler version comes out.

Meanwhile, you should just ignore the warnings and get on with your life.

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322
Yeah thanks, that makes sense once you say it. I jumped from gcc-5.3.? to 8.2.0.

I sometimes feel bullied by projects with larger dev teams, because they can act as if the users were pupils, and boss people around with bad manners. But code testing is probably good if it catches hacks.