LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
ortizimo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
No audio until coming back from sleep mode (Thinkpad T410)

not sure if this belongs here...my audio shuts off and i think its because of overheating...but if I put in sleep mode then come back not even a second later then the audio starts to work again but it shuts down again. I added alsamixer and turned off the auto-mute feature. could it be overheating? can I replace that module?

Old 10-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
RandomTroll

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
What makes you think it's overheating? If it is, you want to stop the overheating, not find a module that still works when it is.

I used to have a Thinkpad that had special utilities to handle Thinkpad-specific features, including monitoring temperature. Have you installed those?

/var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages should record warnings about overheating.

Does the computer's setup allow disabling sound when sleeping?

Old 10-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware (15 current), Slack15, Ubuntu studio, MX Linux, FreeBSD 13.1, WIn10

Rep: Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242
depending on what desktop / or window manager you have out of everyone I've used, and do use, I find a gadget, desktop wiggy, dockapp, can it what you will, but something to display my cpu speeds and temps. this why you'll know for sure, and stop you fond shooting in the dark.

even termianal command from lm_sensors

"sensors" to give temps. sometimes needs to be ran using sudo depending on distro.

Last edited by BW-userx; 10-21-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
ortizimo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomTroll View Post
What makes you think it's overheating? If it is, you want to stop the overheating, not find a module that still works when it is.

I used to have a Thinkpad that had special utilities to handle Thinkpad-specific features, including monitoring temperature. Have you installed those?

/var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages should record warnings about overheating.

Does the computer's setup allow disabling sound when sleeping?
I'ved looked for the thinkpad utilities to no avail. I think is from overheating because its running very hot yet the fan is working. the sounds only last 4sec and cuts off.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
ortizimo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
depending on what desktop / or window manager you have out of everyone I've used, and do use, I find a gadget, desktop wiggy, dockapp, can it what you will, but something to display my cpu speeds and temps. this why you'll know for sure, and stop you fond shooting in the dark.

even termianal command from lm_sensors

"sensors" to give temps. sometimes needs to be ran using sudo depending on distro.
i'ved installed lm-sensors and psensor. 104/102 on each core.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
ortizimo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
well...i reinstalled kubuntu 18.04 using the entire hdd and the problem still persists. its got to be hardware.