LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #1
mikudo

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
thunderbird blocking extensions

Without antivirus activated thunderbird is blocking certain extensions, i can't send them at all.

'there is a problem adding the attachment test.wsf(.vbs, .pif) would you like to send this email without the attachment?' yes, cancel.

Other attachments are ok, I've confirmed the smpt server is not blocking mime headers or anything like that.

After much searching, I can't find any other discussion of this problem or any thunderbird functionality that would refuse to try to send certain extensions.

.js, .wsf and .vbs are some of the extensions that cause this while others like .zip go through normally.

What could be causing this?

Last edited by mikudo; 10-15-2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: error, .js not blocked, changed to correct extensions

Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
jens

Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 299Reputation: 299Reputation: 299
Does your antivirus software (what are you using?) scan for outgoing mail? (it might not support/allow certain extensions)

Old 10-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
l0f4r0

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 290Reputation: 290Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Does your antivirus software (what are you using?) scan for outgoing mail? (it might not support/allow certain extensions)
Good question because OP has just stated "Without antivirus activated thunderbird is blocking certain extensions, i can't send them at all." so we do not know if AV has been totally disabled via its control panel or if AV filtering has been disabled inside Thunderbird only (in Thunderbird Security panel).

Old 10-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
mikudo

Original Poster
There are no antivirus addons or extensions in my thunderbird.

The antivirus checkbox in settings is unchecked.

edit: I'm in debian 8, is there a way there could be some other antivirus somewhere that is nowhere visible in thunderbird settings?

I have spent a while looking through thunderbird settings looking for anything that could block extensions and there just isnt anything obvious, which is why I ask what else could block extensions or how could I check for a hidden? antivirus somewhere? Why are there so few intances of this error message?

I only bring the greatest of mysteries to LQ....or when I really dont understand something basic...

Last edited by mikudo; 10-15-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
l0f4r0

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 290Reputation: 290Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikudo View Post
There are no antivirus addons or extensions in my thunderbird.
I didn't speak about any addon/extension but about your possible usual AV

Quote:
The antivirus checkbox in settings is unchecked.
Do you mean the Thunderbird settings like this? If so, what about the state of your usual AV (outside Thunderbird)?

EDIT: Ok, I've just noticed your edit, according to you, you don't seem to have any particular AV...

Last edited by l0f4r0; 10-15-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #6
jens

Sorry, I misunderstood your first sentence as well.

Whose your email provider?
They can block any file in your attachment as they like.

Google (smtp.gmail.com) has been blocking .vbs, .pif, .wsf, ... in attachments since ages (and .js since 2015). ...
Quote:
To protect your account, Gmail doesn't allow you to attach certain types of files. Gmail often updates the types of files not allowed to keep up with harmful software that is constantly changing. Some examples include:

.ADE, .ADP, .APK, .BAT, .CHM, .CMD, .COM, .CPL, .DLL, .DMG, .EXE, .HTA, .INS, .ISP, .JAR, .JS, .JSE, .LIB, .LNK, .MDE, .MSC, .MSI, .MSP, .MST, .NSH .PIF, .SCR, .SCT, .SHB, .SYS, .VB, .VBE, .VBS, .VXD, .WSC, .WSF, .WSH, .CAB
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6590?hl=en

Last edited by jens; 10-15-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:32 AM   #7
mikudo

Original Poster
Actually this is a test environment I made myself.

The postfix server that catches the smtp has blank amavisd.conf and does no mime header checks in main.cf, it relays to another postfix server that does have amavis installed but which should treat .wsf as a banned attachment, sending notifications etc.

But the behavior I see is that all other attachments go through at least so far but for .vbs, .wsf and two others, thunderbird itself says this attachment isnt allowed, continue without it or cancel.

Because testing things like this is the purpose of this environment, this throws off my whole test.

Thanks for considering this odd issue.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
jens

Quote:
Actually this is a test environment I made myself.
Honestly, you should have mentioned this in your first post.

I'll try to duplicate this and post an update plus fix (should be easy).

Last edited by jens; 10-16-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #9
mikudo

Original Poster
Sorry but thanks! I try to bring only top quality mysteries to LQ.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
jens

Quote:
Sorry but thanks! I try to bring only top quality mysteries to LQ.
Making your mysterie even bigger, it just works for me ... :/
I'll try adding weird options, hoping atleast somthing fails.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
scasey
LQ Veteran

Distribution: CentOS 7.9.2009

Rep: Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211
I can't duplicate that here, either.

Do you get the error when attaching the file, or after hitting Send?

Are you using IMAP? What are the rules on the IMAP server?

Old 10-19-2018, 02:32 AM   #12
mikudo

Original Poster
Pop, no security, no authentication method, we are really just testing scanning and notifications so none of that stuff is significant here.

The popup error occurs when I press send. 1-2 seconds after I press send I get:

"A problem occurred when attaching the file test.vbs. Would you like to continue to send the mail without this file?" cancel, continue.

And ive tested about 20 extensions, only vbs, wsf, pif and another odd one have this problem.

The smtp server this tbird connects to then relays to a server where amavis should block by extension, and .vbs and .js are in the same banned line. I dont know how the relay server could directly block at the client or why even in that case the two filetypes would be treated differently.

tbird 52.8 64bit