LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > Programming
User Name
Password
Programming This forum is for all programming questions.
The question does not have to be directly related to Linux and any language is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
TheNun
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Bash code cannot read file content after PHP writes into it!

So I have on my raspberry pi an website. On this website I have an file "PiConfig.php".

In this file "PiConfig.php" I have this code written:

Code:
$myfile = fopen("/var/www/html/AdminPanel/State.txt", "w") or die("Unable to open file2!");
$txt = 1;
fwrite($myfile, $txt);
fclose($myfile);
On my raspbery pi I have configured an cronjob, which executes every minute this script "test.sh"

In this file "test.sh" I habe this code written:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

State="none2"

input="/var/www/html/AdminPanel/State.txt"
while IFS= read -r var
do
State="$var"
done < "$input"

echo "$State"
MY PROBLEM:

When I create this file "/var/www/html/AdminPanel/State.txt" on my linux machine by a commande (for example with "touch") and I try to execute my script "test.sh" then it echos "1" which I want! But if I call my "PiConfig.php" on my webbrowser and it writes the value "1" inside the "/var/www/html/AdminPanel/State.txt" file, which is still fine. But the problem now is, when I execute my "test.sh" it doesn't echo "1" but "none2" which means it doesn't have read the content out of the file.. Always when PHP writes into the file, my bash code can't read out of it. I tryed everything to change with the user and group "rights" but nothing works. Pleaseeee help <3

These are permissions before the PHP script writes into the textfile.
-rw-r--rw- 1 pi pi State.txt

These are the permissions after I execute the PHP script "PiConfig.php".
-rw-r--rw- 1 pi pi State.txt

The permissions do not change.

When I now edit the textfile "State.txt" with the command "nano" and then I try to run my bash script "test.sh" the script runs like it should and it echos "1".
When I now try to run the PHP file on my webbrowser "PiConfig.php" and then I try ro run my bash script "test.sh" the script does not run like it should because it echos "none2". (Which means the bash script could't read out the file "State.txt" after the PHP script wrote into it.

Last edited by TheNun; 09-23-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
astrogeek

Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=15, FreeBSD_12{.0|.1}

Rep: Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194Reputation: 4194
Welcome to LQ!

Please place your code snippets inside [CODE]...[/CODE] tags for better readability. You may type those yourself or click the "#" button in the edit controls.

Your trouble almost certainly results from ownership or permission issues. PHP is most likely writing to the file as the web server user, and your bash script is most likely being run as your normal user - although you have not shown us the actual file permissions or told us how you are running the bash script.

So to get useful replies, please show us what the file permissions and ownership are immediately before and after each access, and tell us exactly how you are executing the bash scrpt. It would also be useful to show us what you have tried that did not work, 'I tryed everything to change with the user and group "rights" but nothing works.', does not provide us with any useful information.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #3
NevemTeve

Distribution: Debian/GNU/Linux, AIX

Rep: Reputation: 1869Reputation: 1869Reputation: 1869Reputation: 1869Reputation: 1869Reputation: 1869Reputation: 1869Reputation: 1869Reputation: 1869Reputation: 1869Reputation: 1869
Your cron-script should be debugged, details here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...0/#post5707383

Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
Kenhelm

Distribution: Mandriva

Rep: Reputation: 170Reputation: 170
Try checking your "State.txt" files to see if they have a line feed character.
Your read command only works if the line being read has a line feed.
Code:
echo -n "1" > "State.txt"  # Create a file without a line feed
State="none2"
while IFS= read -r var; do
  State="$var"
done < "State.txt"
echo "$State"

none2                   # read did not work

echo "1" > "State.txt"     # Create a file with a line feed
State="none2"
  State="$var"
done < "State.txt"
echo "$State"

1                       # read worked

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
TheNun
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up PERFECT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenhelm View Post
Try checking your "State.txt" files to see if they have a line feed character.
Your read command only works if the line being read has a line feed.
Code:
echo -n "1" > "State.txt"  # Create a file without a line feed
State="none2"
  State="$var"
done < "State.txt"
echo "$State"

none2                   # read did not work

echo "1" > "State.txt"     # Create a file with a line feed
State="none2"
  State="$var"
done < "State.txt"
echo "$State"

1                       # read worked
I got it, my problem is now solved. Thank you so much!

Old 09-25-2018, 02:37 AM   #6
MadeInGermany

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
How to make bash read an incomplete file

Most read implementations, when meeting an incomplete line, give non-zero exit (so while exits) but fill the variable(s) nevertheless.
The following is a general solution how to read a file with bash that may miss the ending newline!
Code:
#!/bin/bash
while IFS= read -r var || [ -n "$var" ]
do
  State=$var
done < "State.txt"
echo "$State"
In case read has non-zero exit it tests the just filled variable. If it has contents, the test has zero exit and the loop runs one more time.

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 09-25-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: More general solution and set a subtitle.