LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
browny_amiga

Location: /mnt/UNV/Mlkway/Earth/USA/California/Silicon Valley
Distribution: Kubuntu, Debian Buster Stable, Windoze 7

Rep: Reputation: 56
Logout never works the first time, always asks twice

I'm having the issue that I don't like my desktop environments to "ask stupid questions", meaning when I click on something, I do it with intent, never as a mistake. I don't want to hear "are you sure you want to logout?", I am sure, that's what I clicked.

When I click on logoff in KDE or XFCE, it always presents me the choices to hibernate, suspend, logout, and shutdown, like I did not already say that I want a logout. Is there a way to have the function perform what it is supposed to do without having to constantly reconfirm and annoy me?

Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint 21 MATE

Rep: Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925
As far as I am aware, the button of which you speak, in Xfce anyway, is a multi-purpose button - you click on it if you want to hibernate, suspend, logout or shutdown. It is not a shutdown button. It's there to save having four separate buttons. So, it's not asking you the same question again, it's asking you which option you want to choose.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware (15 current), Slack15, Ubuntu studio, MX Linux, FreeBSD 13.1, WIn10

Rep: Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242
Quote:
Originally Posted by browny_amiga View Post
I'm having the issue that I don't like my desktop environments to "ask stupid questions", meaning when I click on something, I do it with intent, never as a mistake. I don't want to hear "are you sure you want to logout?", I am sure, that's what I clicked.

When I click on logoff in KDE or XFCE, it always presents me the choices to hibernate, suspend, logout, and shutdown, like I did not already say that I want a logout. Is there a way to have the function perform what it is supposed to do without having to constantly reconfirm and annoy me?
lonflmsao
or
lmao
I know that feeling. mostly you just need to find the file that is firing off the message before sending the command, usually it's just a script, then tend to it. I'd have to see the script, or means that they are doing this to see how to circumvent it.

also with XFCE you can add a launcher and configure it to just call log out when you click on it to get around that message button options they have set up. Just need to dig around a little and find the script or how to get xfce4-session-logout to work. my xfce4 peppermint where I am at right now is telling me after installing it,
Code:
Could not get owner of name 'org.xfce.SessionManager': no such name
which only means is I'd have to do more editing config files to get it to work, but it is do-able.

Last edited by BW-userx; 09-18-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran

Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314
On my Xubuntu system, it was simply a case of
> right-click on panel and choose "add new item"
> select the option "action button"
> right-click on the new button, select "properties", and tick the "shut down" box

For KDE, you can presumably attach a suitable command to a keyboard shortcut or panel button. The catch is finding out what it is! For KDE4 you can use
Code:
qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.logout 0 2 2
but I don't know if that still works.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
browny_amiga

Location: /mnt/UNV/Mlkway/Earth/USA/California/Silicon Valley
Distribution: Kubuntu, Debian Buster Stable, Windoze 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 56
Here is the exact thing I see on XFCE (Debian Stretch/Stable), and no, it is not a multi purpose button, it is specific, this is the first logout dialog (top right on the desktop, showing the username) (first pic, I don't know how you can insert pics here, there seems to be no option except attachments, which area only listed at the end of the post)

and then when I click logout on that, you see the second pic, again, asking the same questions.

I have found a solution, calling

xfce4-session-logout
without options shows you the dialog,
using

xfce4-session-logout -l

does log you out without asking.
I just posted this to indicate that this should maybe be changed, as it is very useless and not too intelligent. I have had the same experience with KDE, so it is not unique to XFCE. And, maybe somebody know a setting how to set this without confirmation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Logout xfce 1 of 2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	28628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Logout xfce 2 of 2.png
Views:	16
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	28629  

Old 09-20-2018, 03:07 AM   #6
petelq

Distribution: openSUSE(Leap and Tumbleweed) and a (not so) regularly changing third and fourth

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
In my kde if I click the 'logout' button it logs out immediately. If you don't want to click the 'power/session' button first you can put the 'logout' in favourites on the launcher menu.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:49 AM   #7
fatmac
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Try (sudo) halt -p in a terminal.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:26 AM   #8
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by browny_amiga View Post
Here is the exact thing I see on XFCE (Debian Stretch/Stable), and no, it is not a multi purpose button, it is specific, this is the first logout dialog (top right on the desktop, showing the username) (first pic, I don't know how you can insert pics here, there seems to be no option except attachments, which area only listed at the end of the post)

and then when I click logout on that, you see the second pic, again, asking the same questions.

I have found a solution, calling

xfce4-session-logout
without options shows you the dialog,
using

xfce4-session-logout -l

does log you out without asking.
I just posted this to indicate that this should maybe be changed, as it is very useless and not too intelligent. I have had the same experience with KDE, so it is not unique to XFCE. And, maybe somebody know a setting how to set this without confirmation.
XFCE is extremely configurable, both the panel and the menu.
from your post i do not get the impression that you explored its possibilities at all.

DavidMcCann gave you one (partial) solution. try that, and then try more.