LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2018, 12:00 AM   #16
Randicus Draco Albus

Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system

Rep: Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedec0 View Post
And *every* time I want to comment two or more parts of a post, I must manually (and slowly) separate the tags from the text they quote. In my opinion, this should have been changed long ago - it even surprises me to imagine why it was coded this way.
I have never found the few seconds it takes to type quote and /quote to be slow. So in my opinion, there is no pressing need to change the forum's source code. Is reducing the time to make a post by a few seconds worth the trouble?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #17
Michael Uplawski

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Personally, I am quoting in the way, that the OP favors, himself, since the 1990s, because it was obligatory in the German Usenet. Not technically imposed but you where shot, twice, if you did not...

And it is completely my own personal opinion, that this technically imposed/proposed “separate phrases, paragraphs, sections” by closing and opening quote-tags were not an improvement (I changed my wording).

The choice of “what shall be quoted” must remain my own. The current implementation of quoting on LQ is just honoring this simple fact. It does not impose anything, but lets you do the work. As it should be.

You can even remove all the styling-buttons and leave us with a list of supported tags. I will still not quarrel; and I wonder if it would not have been best to do exactly that from the start.

Cheerio.

Last edited by Michael Uplawski; 09-18-2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: clarification.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #18
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
I'm not understanding the proposed enhancement.

I understand where you say that you take a long quote and break it up using end-quote tags and re-using the start of the quote tag. I do this myself.

What are you proposing exactly?

I see: "Separated lines are very nice to make the whole process easy"

However is this not in relation to how the quoted person, wrote their post?

Here I'm writing one or two sentences per line.

I actually do this to try to make things more clear to people. This is my style.

Meanwhile, some posters may have ridiculously, lengthy run-on sentences, use little in the way of punctuation, even use their own made up terms or special colloquialisms which make their posts difficult to read. Those same posts would also be more difficult to break up and quote sections of them, but because of how the writer combined the text.

Perhaps I'm missing a correct description of what you see to be a problem?

Old 09-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #19
dedec0

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
@#15, @#16, @#17

Repositioning a tag that is in the middle of a long line of course code is harder than repositioning tags alone on lines. Further, "[]/" are not considered part of the same word when I click the tag name - harder to select means longer to do.

Typing {[]/} is not so easy in many keyboards around the world, including the standard in my country, ABNT2. And typing "[quote]" is not all I want, since I can use the "=[number]" to make the quoting much better.

LinuxQuestions is a place where several people are developers, or deal somehow with source code and configuration files. Why it has a bad (or hard) way of giving us the source code when we quote posts? Put good coding practices in these. One liners obfuscate things, and LQ fora can move away from these ideas.

And the "alt" texts are not shown to me as hover hints in Firefox. Hint is a different kind of thing, I guess, because I see hover hints in other pages.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #20
Michael Uplawski

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I should have seen this coming. I am out of this thread, too.
My suggestion would really be to remove all buttons which serve to introduce tags of any kind and just list the supported tags.
Ω

Old 09-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #21
dedec0

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Uplawski View Post
I should have seen this coming. I am out of this thread, too.
My suggestion would really be to remove all buttons which serve to introduce tags of any kind and just list the supported tags.
Ω
The quote button is very good, in my opinion, because it keeps all the formatting and tagging a post was made with. Copying the text will not (normally and without fancy workarounds) keep those, and they are important to thread readers.

Last edited by dedec0; 09-20-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #22
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware (15 current), Slack15, Ubuntu studio, MX Linux, FreeBSD 13.1, WIn10

Rep: Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Uplawski View Post
Personally, I am quoting in the way, that the OP favors, himself, since the 1990s, because it was obligatory in the German Usenet. Not technically imposed but you where shot, twice, if you did not...

And it is completely my own personal opinion, that this technically imposed/proposed “separate phrases, paragraphs, sections” by closing and opening quote-tags were not an improvement (I changed my wording).

The choice of “what shall be quoted” must remain my own. The current implementation of quoting on LQ is just honoring this simple fact. It does not impose anything, but lets you do the work. As it should be.

You can even remove all the styling-buttons and leave us with a list of supported tags. I will still not quarrel; and I wonder if it would not have been best to do exactly that from the start.

Cheerio.
I'd like to suggest an android and apple apply tag app for cell phones. seems everyone knows how to phone apps.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 AM   #23
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedec0 View Post
You are not talking about the same thing I am.

( ...lengthy explanation about having to use the <Enter> key multiple times to manually group sections of text ... )
actually yes, i am.
you just don't like my opinion.