LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
tech0925

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Talking New Server & Linux Installation Questions

Hi all,

Newbie here! I am not new to basic linux commands but I have never installed Linux in preparation to use on a new server that I built. With that being said I have a few questions.

1. I noticed in my MOBO settings that I have a Server Mgnt section where you can set the BMC Network Configurations. The MOBO that I am using can be seen here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813157350

The BMC Network Configurations options for static are:
  • Station IP Address (I'm assuming this is the static IP address that I want to assign to the server?)
  • Subnet Mask (Pretty self explanatory I think)
  • Current Mac Address (Looks like that populated on its on)
  • Router IP Address (I'm thinking this is the static IP address from the router?)

2. Besides the questions above, will the Station IP Address be my IP address in Linux to use to connect to the Linux server?

3. Should a public IP address for the DNS be something other than the private static IP address? I'm thinking so. If correct, what file do you configure that in?

4. I setup 2 SSD drives on the Intel SATAIII ports for Raid Mirroring and I have a 3rd drive on the Intel SATAII port. My MOBO only had 2 Intel SATAIII ports is the reason for this. From what I read that was better than the Marvell ports. Not sure if I will even be using the other drive for anything. Should it boot directly to the raid drive and should that be where I place the linux installation or should I place the linux installation on the SATAII SSD and place web files and etc on the raid?

Sorry for all of the questions and I would really appreciate any guidance on this before I get to far along

Old 08-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893
IPMI is a separate interface that basically allows remote access to monitor the health of the system.

It requires a unique IP address which is different from the operating system. I am not sure the current security status of IPMI and hopefully others with more knowledge will respond but I would not allow remote access from the internet. The router address would be LAN address of the router.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...i_overview.htm

RAID is essentially a way to provide data redundancy but not a form of data backup. I would probably use linux mdm software RAID versus the builtin. You can boot directly to the RAID drive.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
tech0925

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply!

That makes total sense. I was confused if Linux was using that IP configuration but sounds like it is just for remote access to the BIOS if I understood you correctly. Now to find where to disable the remote access to the IPMI LOL

Is there an advantage of using the Linux built raid function v/s the MOBO settings?

Also, where would you install Linux based on my setup? Would it be on the raid or the other standalone SATAII SSD device?

Old 08-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893
The main advantage for linux software RAID is if the motherboard fails you can place the drives in any computer and be able to access the data.

It depends on your needs and the purpose of the server. The following wiki may help somewhat although I have not read it through in awhile so I don't know if it covers SSDs.

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid

Old 08-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
tech0925

Original Poster
Thank you! That was helpful. It appears Raid 5 is the safest option?

Also, should I load linux on the bootable disk and use the Linux Raid for web files or should the raid contain all of this? If the raid should contain all of it what should be on the bootable? Still trying to figure out what should be on the bootable disk LOL