LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
Captain Brillo

Distribution: Manjaro Cinnamon

Rep: Reputation: 25
Cannot use qbittorrent cuz transmission

Running Mint 18.3 Sylvia/Cinnamon on 2 boxes

All of a sudden when I try to get a torrent, the default app is transmission, not qbittorrent.
even after I removed and purged transmission from one box and made sure that qbittorrent is the default for torrents

I just tried my other box; it has a clean, fresh install of Sylvia/Cinnamon on it too. Both boxes are on new disks.
Neither box can access torrents with qBittorrent. Or Deluge. Or anything but Transmission.

what is going on?

and what other info can I supply to get to the bottom of this?

Last edited by Captain Brillo; 07-20-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015
Hi Captain Brillo,

Welcome!

Why don't you change the default torrent app to what you want? How are you launching the torrent client? By clicking on a file?

Old 07-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
Captain Brillo

Original Poster
I had a downloaded torrent file, so I right-clicked and then set qbittorrent as the default. That works. But if I try a fresh download of a torrent thenI get stuck with the default "transmission" with no other option. And how is this possible?

Both boxes are as installed with qbittorrent added. One has also had "transmission" removed and purged.

Both boxes are recent installs, there should be no background issues. (I crash and burn a lot - I'm now quite familiar with what usually works in Linux)

I'm not concerned about the torrents - what I don't like is that this install is doing strange things - on 2 boxes that have brand new disks, that have had the memory and processors thoroughly tested.

Any more thoughts?

Old 07-20-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015
I don't think it's a hardware issue. Just try launching the client by itself, not through the web browser. If you truly a package, it can't be being used for anything. Did you maybe install it twice, once from source and once with the package manager?

Last edited by AwesomeMachine; 07-20-2018 at 11:22 PM.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
Captain Brillo

Original Poster
Got it, thanks to you.

There was more than one transmission client installed, but it wasn't me. The Mint install out multiples on board.