LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
ballsystemlord

Distribution: Devuan

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Can Linux use 10bpc/10bit panel/30bit color monitors?

Hello,
I have been interested in freesync for some time and also noticed that some freesync monitors support 10bpc/10bit panel/30 bit color.
I don't know if the current Linux radeonsi or amdgpu drivers can use such a monitor. I am aware that freesync is not yet supported on Linux.

Thanks

Old 06-25-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
X-LFS-2010

Rep: Reputation: 58
the monitor may have OPTIONS access by the menu panel which specify it's default mode. different brands have widely different features (some are even smart and run a limited linux inside the monitor)

are you saying that 30bit is the only mode? probably not. you need to check the monitor user manual to know what it may allow or prevent you from doing. those kinds of features aren't predictable.

xorg.conf allows specification of the number of bits per pixel, and there are tools to adjust this runtime. i believe 30bit is possible

however that doesn't mean it would be "easy". the driver might refuse to accept the mode. i can't tell you that.

"try before you buy"

what's true is part of something like "intel skylate HD 530" graphics (or nVidia) support on Apple High Sierra or Windows 10 is automatic connectivity which involves resolving such issues using standards supported by the hardware and also drivers: you plug it it's working nearly immediately. they offer connectivity to about any monitor on displayport or vga/usb, multiple of them, using multiple standards, automatically. they typically do not support that kind of connectivity for linux drivers - though multiple monitors (and multiple video cards) is supported in linux "it has been done" - it requires configuration. making full use of the horrific number of features today's chips support (along with apps that use it, such as FaceTime) is called "leveraging". leveraging used pretty "do-able" by a single human, but as technology grows it slips through the hands of even teams. often a person can get highly featured hardware, promises of future driver releases, and find in the end they've own hw for a decade that ... never got leveraged

Last edited by X-LFS-2010; 06-25-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
X-LFS-2010

Rep: Reputation: 58
i have a little other advice:

gaming monitors often have poor picture quality and the "response time" isn't a huge factor.

HIGH REFRESH RATE doesn't not require "freesync". an LED monitor that supports a high refresh rate (say, 85Hz 1080p), can do so WITHOUT freesync. both software and drivers separately can prevent tearing or enable tearing. it's even an option in many popular games.

freesync can slightly accelerate graphics by running in "might tear mode" while not tearing. it's a niche thing.

you might find good image quality (EXCELLENT non-virtual CONTRAST ratio, good viewing angle, brightness) helps games more than advertised "low ms response". excellent contrast ratio monitors: are pricey, and a little tricky to pick out since MFG are less than forthcoming about the real quality they are selling you. (obviously color depth is also an issue, but unless your a photo addict you need excellent contrast ratio before you get excellent bit depth)

finally, 30bit is not special. 32bit depth has been out since the late 1980's.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
ballsystemlord

Distribution: Devuan

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Forgive the length, your posts were long and I am answering both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-LFS-2010 View Post
the monitor may have OPTIONS access by the menu panel which specify it's default mode. different brands have widely different features (some are even smart and run a limited linux inside the monitor)
I am under the impression that modern monitors do not need you to setup a specific standard feature, such as 30bit color or freesync, for it to be in use.

Quote:
are you saying that 30bit is the only mode? probably not. you need to check the monitor user manual to know what it may allow or prevent you from doing. those kinds of features aren't predictable.
I have not bought anything yet, so I don't have a monitor or it's manual. I read the specs from sales and review sites. I too would assume that more than one mode is possible.

Quote:
xorg.conf allows specification of the number of bits per pixel, and there are tools to adjust this runtime. i believe 30bit is possible

however that doesn't mean it would be "easy". the driver might refuse to accept the mode. i can't tell you that.
That's why I was asking, I don't know what the radeonsi and amdgpu drivers can do. That is the whole point of this post.

Quote:
"try before you buy"
I don't have a test monitor to try it on and you can't exactly try the monitor from online. I am assuming that their is someone out here who has Linux and a 30bit monitor, hence my post.

Quote:
what's true is part of something like "intel skylate HD 530" graphics (or nVidia) support on Apple High Sierra or Windows 10 is automatic connectivity which involves resolving such issues using standards supported by the hardware and also drivers: you plug it it's working nearly immediately. they offer connectivity to about any monitor on displayport or vga/usb, multiple of them, using multiple standards, automatically. they typically do not support that kind of connectivity for linux drivers - though multiple monitors (and multiple video cards) is supported in linux "it has been done" - it requires configuration. making full use of the horrific number of features today's chips support (along with apps that use it, such as FaceTime) is called "leveraging". leveraging used pretty "do-able" by a single human, but as technology grows it slips through the hands of even teams. often a person can get highly featured hardware, promises of future driver releases, and find in the end they've own hw for a decade that ... never got leveraged
AMD has been decent with their Linux drivers so far. I think I would be making a safe bet with freesync. If I loose, I can always learn to hack the driver myself.

Quote:
i have a little other advice:

gaming monitors often have poor picture quality and the "response time" isn't a huge factor.
Hence my desire to get a 30bit monitor. I am currently stuck with an annoying and old gaming monitor. Like you, I am not so worried about response time.

Quote:
HIGH REFRESH RATE doesn't not require "freesync". an LED monitor that supports a high refresh rate (say, 85Hz 1080p), can do so WITHOUT freesync. both software and drivers separately can prevent tearing or enable tearing. it's even an option in many popular games.
The refresh rate is the lest of my concerns. I wanted the image on my screen to stop tearing. That is what freesync is for.

Quote:
freesync can slightly accelerate graphics by running in "might tear mode" while not tearing. it's a niche thing.
I respectfully disagree that it is "a niche thing". Freesync might be considered a niche, save for the fact that gsync monitor pricing is ultra high. "A niche thing" would not command such a price and quantity, particularly from both camps. Furthermore, AMD has announced freesync 2. Why announce something that is doomed?

Quote:
you might find good image quality (EXCELLENT non-virtual CONTRAST ratio, good viewing angle, brightness) helps games more than advertised "low ms response". excellent contrast ratio monitors: are pricey, and a little tricky to pick out since MFG are less than forthcoming about the real quality they are selling you. (obviously color depth is also an issue, but unless your a photo addict you need excellent contrast ratio before you get excellent bit depth)
I agree. 30 bit monitors normally have good viewing angle, which I need badly.

Quote:
finally, 30bit is not special. 32bit depth has been out since the late 1980's.
My current monitor supports 24 bit color, perhaps with dithering. So 32bit color might be out, but monitor support appears to be slim. Also, when I made the switch to Linux I was quite curious and a little upset that 32 bit color was not supported or even mentioned in the Xorg docs.

Thanks