LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro New to LinuxQuestions.org? Been a long time member but never made a post? Introduce yourself here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
Drosera_capensis

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Introducing

Hello everybody, how are things?

I am working now on Linux as student in genetics and phylogenomics.

For those who are not part of the community, most of the tools we are using are set up for Ios and Linux.

I didn't want to give any money to Apple, and has begun to work with Linux Bionic Beaver.

Then I*have discovered my intense, burning, blinding hate for Linux.

And that's why I*am here, to get some advises on this unspeakable OS who is ruining my life.

But if I am hating the software, I*have nothing but good feeling for the community and nice people on this forum. Hope to meet you here!

Cheers!

Old 06-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
shepPettibone
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Completely new-new to Linux and hate it so far? I think you should try Ubuntu so, it will really have your mind changed

Old 06-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint 21 MATE

Rep: Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925
Hi thibauld, and welcome to LQ!

Old 06-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Drosera_capensis

Original Poster
Hello hydrurga and Shepettibone, nice to read you!

I got XUbuntu by curiosity and will to learn how to use the shell three years ago.

And I spent three years yelling at my computer!

I don't see the logic in this OS. I am still a beginner user after three years of daily use.

However, I*will try to participate and give my contribution to the community the best I*can.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 AM   #5
Klemperer
LQ Newbie

Hi thibauld . Funny, for it is the other way round. The average Mac user in Germany fits - sadly enough - 99% the cliché of the self-important hipster showing off her or his latest expensive gadget which the uncool won't ever be able to buy. And after years with Windows I came to love Linux. Still need Windows a bit for making music (the advantage of Windows over Mac is you can use your very old vst effects and synths still - not so with MacOS), but I find Linux wonderfully constructed, logical. If something went wrong before, it could have been Windows too - if something goes wrong now, it is 99,9% my fault .
Currently using lxle (as lubuntu doubled the minimal requirements lately, and lxle is wonderful) on my slow subnotebook. And puppy Linux as USB stick (remarkably great working, you do not even install it and it just works for the usual stuff.) All the best, surely one can learn a lot from you who hates Linux even if one does not hate it. Cheerio!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
linustalman
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian 12 Bookworm

Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Smile

Greetings thibauld.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:35 AM   #7
Drosera_capensis

Original Poster
Hello linustalman, what's the craic?^^

Good to read you Klemperer.Happy to read that you have found a good OS*for your not-that-powerful device.
I have tried a memory stick linux as well, and it was operational and convenient.

I don't know if I*would be that severe with Mac users, even if they are hipsters!

Two years ago, I was trying to use my linux computer as an amplifier for my bass guitar.
I was using a freeware (guitarix?), which was not working. I have tried several of them, and in each case have tried to find solution online.
After an entire week-end unsuccessfully spent to make it work, I was shedding bitter tears of frustration and anger (literally).
My flatmate came back from his week-end with an expensive bass-amp kit for his MacBook. It was set up in 5 minutes.

Therefore, I*don't think I can condemn Mac users. They just want a product which is easy to use, and actually works well.