LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #1
hack3rcon

Rep: Reputation: 11
Post Can I install "Qubes OS" on VirtualBox?

Hello.
I want to install Qubes OS on VirtualBox 4.3.20 but I got an error. I Captured and uploaded it here :

https://mega.nz/#!3scWAAqA!rX9d-wiCb...uSIDmlxdxly4vo

Please let me know your idea.

Thank you.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Note the official installation text reads: We don’t recommend installing Qubes in a virtual machine! It will likely not work. Don’t send emails asking about it. So if you can't post or attach your errors here and you aren't recommended to ask the vendor then why should you ask here?.. If you don't understand none of this then ponder https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/UserFaq...-a-separate-vm (though on the mailing list Joanna explains the constraint is mostly performance-related).

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
mind_exploit

Distribution: Slackware & Mint

Rep: Reputation: 0
Cool It's OK now

I managed to install the latest one - 4.0-rc3 - on my main laptop at home.
Details:
  • Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P50-C-18C
  • Virtualbox: 5.2.2
  • Host OS: Windows 10 Home Premium

I tried at work also, but didn't manage. However, I was able to install the latest stable release - 3.2.
Details:
  • Laptop: Lenovo T560
  • Virtualbox: 5.1.30
  • Host OS: BunsenLabs Linux, based on Debian 8, kernel 4.9.51-1~bpo8+1

Hope this helps

Old 02-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
ThinkingMonkey
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_exploit View Post
Details:
Just tried (yes, I know they say not to do it) version 4.0 RC4 on
  • Desktop system: EVGA Z87 mobo, 8GB RAM, Intel G3258 Anniversary Edition Pentium
  • VirtualBox: 5.2.6
  • Host OS: Windows 10 Pro x64
  • (have 9 other working Linux VM's on this machine)

Error says there's no network and some problem with starting X server.

I wanted to try it because I highly suspect that the only reason they don't want it run in a virtual machine is because of performance issues. (They'd rather
it not run at all than run sluggish)

While there is nothing new or unique about that reasoning in the world of computers and software in general, they may be shooting themselves in the foot.

I imagine there are quite a few sysadmins that want to check out the look and feel of the OS before they recommend it to whoever makes "purchasing" decisions
at his/her organization.

OK, on to the next distro.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
superadude
LQ Newbie

Distribution: ParrotSec

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_exploit View Post
Details:
Hey dude what settings on VirtualBox did you have when you installed the 4.0 of Qubes? I have the 5.2.22 version of Virtual Box as well and I wouldn't think it's a host operating system/hardware problem but it might be. When I try to boot the 4.0 version of Qubes with the "EFI" options checked in the settings it just cycles through the same two screens forever w/o error but won't boot. W/o the EFI option checked on both of the install options it gives me result of the kernal modules failing and then it seems to fail due to no network.

Thanks for any pointers, on youtube people are saying the 4.0 version of Qubes just won't boot in virtual box, so that's why I'm so interested in how you got it to work!

Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
stuman
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Qubes 3.2, fedora-28, debian-9, ubuntu 18.04

Old thread, but fun to reread. Qubes is of course a virtualization environment. Attempting to install it in a virtual machine on another virtualization environment is a bit redundant. The only VM in a VM I ever do is Qemu in a VirtualBox instance to run an old Dos character based program I wrote in the 80's. Under Qubes now, I managed to the get the program running under wine/dosbox so I don't really need to run Qemu inside of a Qubes appVM...at least not for that. I do run it in order to test coreboot images, but that is a whole 'nuther matter.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
tzenrick
LQ Newbie

The point:

Quote:
Old thread, but fun to reread. Qubes is of course a virtualization environment. Attempting to install it in a virtual machine on another virtualization environment is a bit redundant. The only VM in a VM I ever do is Qemu in a VirtualBox instance to run an old Dos character based program I wrote in the 80's. Under Qubes now, I managed to the get the program running under wine/dosbox so I don't really need to run Qemu inside of a Qubes appVM...at least not for that. I do run it in order to test coreboot images, but that is a whole 'nuther matter.
The point of it all is to evaluate before committing. Personally, I'm building my first all-new machine, and retiring a working system that has been in need of a serious upgrade. I want to see how I would set up a hypervisor with 4-6VMs. I have to consider shared assets, such as bulk storage, audio hardware, (and the logistics of) PCI passthrough for two of the VMs.

I want to be able to be past the learning curve when I assemble my machine and am doing it on real hardware.