LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
mechanicaldesign
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Timisoara
Distribution: CentOS5.4 64biti, Ubuntu9.10 64biti
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Error to install ANSYS 11 on CentOS 5.4 64biti !!!


Hi all,

I want to install some software which is created for platform Red Hat (.rpm) and I cannot installed on CentOS.

After I tape the command:

ls -l INSTALL
file INSTALL

I obtained the next answare:

[root@localhost New]# ls -l INSTALL
-r-xr-xr-x 1 admincae root 10520 Jan 12 2007 INSTALL
[root@localhost New]# file INSTALL
INSTALL: Bourne shell script text executable

What means that? Is good news? How can be fixed this problem? Why cannot begin installation of software ?

What I cannot understand is that the software what I need to installed on CentOS, is made for .rpm platform. Beside of this, I installed the same software on Ubuntu 64biti and install works on write, and I used there programs without any problems (but incomplete from the point of view of modules available because .deb platform)

I waiting yours answer of my question much early is possible.

If somebody have any idea about how I can activate the install, don't hesitate to offer me an idea.

Thanks in advance for support and advice.

Best regards.
 
Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,998

Rep: Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicaldesign View Post
Hi all,
I want to install some software which is created for platform Red Hat (.rpm) and I cannot installed on CentOS.

After I tape the command:
ls -l INSTALL
file INSTALL

I obtained the next answare:
[root@localhost New]# ls -l INSTALL
-r-xr-xr-x 1 admincae root 10520 Jan 12 2007 INSTALL
[root@localhost New]# file INSTALL
INSTALL: Bourne shell script text executable

What means that? Is good news? How can be fixed this problem? Why cannot begin installation of software ?

What I cannot understand is that the software what I need to installed on CentOS, is made for .rpm platform. Beside of this, I installed the same software on Ubuntu 64biti and install works on write, and I used there programs without any problems (but incomplete from the point of view of modules available because .deb platform)

I waiting yours answer of my question much early is possible.

If somebody have any idea about how I can activate the install, don't hesitate to offer me an idea.
If you've got the RPM, you install it with the 'rpm' command. Read the man page on rpm, something like "rpm -i <rpm file name>".

If you've got a source package, with an INSTALL File, it's probably text, that TELLS YOU how to install it. Open it with any editor and read it.

Since you don't say what the software is, where you got it, or what type the distribution is, can't be of much help. Best thing to do would be to go back to where you got it, and read the installation instructions.
 
Old 04-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
mechanicaldesign
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Timisoara
Distribution: CentOS5.4 64biti, Ubuntu9.10 64biti
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy

Hi TB0ne,

The software what I want to install is ANSYS 11. Before to install it on CentOS 5.4 64biti it was installed on Ubuntu9.10 64 biti.
Unfortunately, because ANSYS is made to work only Red Hat with all modules, I cannot used on Ubuntu all modules (Workbench for example is an module from ANSYS which work only on .rpm platform). So, because of this reason I need to install ANSYS on CentOS. Beside much people using ANSYS on CentOS, but nobody tell how install it, and after that how it works.

I hope this information is useful for you, or other people who want to offers me an support, idea or suggestion,to resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance for support to all people from community.

Best regards.
 
Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,998

Rep: Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicaldesign View Post
Hi TB0ne,

The software what I want to install is ANSYS 11. Before to install it on CentOS 5.4 64biti it was installed on Ubuntu9.10 64 biti.
Unfortunately, because ANSYS is made to work only Red Hat with all modules, I cannot used on Ubuntu all modules (Workbench for example is an module from ANSYS which work only on .rpm platform). So, because of this reason I need to install ANSYS on CentOS. Beside much people using ANSYS on CentOS, but nobody tell how install it, and after that how it works.

I hope this information is useful for you, or other people who want to offers me an support, idea or suggestion,to resolve this problem.
Nope, not much at all, mainly because you're very difficult to understand. No idea what you mean by an RPM platform, but CentOS uses RPM's, as do many other Linux distros as well. CentOS is also compatible with RedHat Enterprise Linux.

As I said before...if you have an RPM file, READ the man page for the rpm command, and install it with the command I posted before. If you have an INSTALL file, OPEN IT AND READ IT. And seeing as Ansys is a piece of commercial software, you're obviously paying for it, so call them.
 
Old 04-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 28,530
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicaldesign View Post
The software what I want to install is ANSYS
As far as I know ANSYS is commercially licensed closed-source software. To run that software you (or the company slash institution you work for slash with) need to buy and possess a valid license. Once a valid license is acquired technical support and access to the customer portal and knowledge base should be available too. And in any other case just ask ANSYS. In my not so humble opinion the Open Source community should not have to support type of problems with this type of commercially licensed software.
 
Old 04-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
mechanicaldesign
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Timisoara
Distribution: CentOS5.4 64biti, Ubuntu9.10 64biti
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy

Hi unSpawn,

How can be observe from my anterior posts, I donīt asking how I can crack ANSYS or other similar question. My question is about cause because I canīt begin installation of some programs. Iīm sure that the same problems have all beginners in linux especial in CentOS.

Why donīt function the usual manner in which only type ./INSTALL and begin installation ?. Is my mistake if is interpretable my doubt or question.

My questions and problems is referring strict to CentOS and not to ANSYS.

Best regards

I waiting yours answer, idea or opinion which can help me to resolve this inconvenient.
 
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 28,530
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicaldesign View Post
My question is about cause because I canīt begin installation of some programs. Iīm sure that the same problems have all beginners in linux especial in CentOS. (..) My questions and problems is referring strict to CentOS and not to ANSYS.
Your question is not specific to Centos. Your question is about installing commercially licensed software. When you have bought a license you are entitled to support. Linuxquestions.org, offering advice for free, and the Open Source community should not be forced to support that type of problems with that type of commercially licensed software. Contact your vendor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicaldesign View Post
How can be observe from my anterior posts, I donīt asking how I can crack ANSYS or other similar question.
I didn't reference anything about "cracking" but you did. If you would have replied you already have a valid license then you wouldn't need to use the C word anyway. Running their software circumventing vendor restrictions means you run either a trial version (if any and I doubt that) or cracked software. (Basically you gave yourself away already anyway.) Asking any questions with respect to cracked software is a violation of the LQ Rules and will lead to thread closure.
 
Old 04-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
mechanicaldesign
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Timisoara
Distribution: CentOS5.4 64biti, Ubuntu9.10 64biti
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Lightbulb

Hi unSpawn,

Now understand what you say, and you have write, of course. I will not posted any question which will refers to software, because at my work I have license to ANSYS, and I will resolve my problem at my work.

Thank you anyway for your support and understanding my mistake.
Anyway, this forums remain for me the most quickly in answer, from all forums where Iīm subscribed. Keep up the good work.

Thanks to all community for support.

Best regards
 
Old 04-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 28,530
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272Reputation: 3272
You're welcome. Good luck with resolving your installation problems.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install wine on CentOS 5.4 to 64biti mechanicaldesign Red Hat 9 07-31-2010 11:36 AM
[SOLVED] Error when trying to install repository - CentOS 5 new2linux2010 Linux - Newbie 9 01-20-2010 12:55 PM
ANSYS 11 install to OPEN Susse 11.1 mechanicaldesign SUSE / openSUSE 1 09-22-2009 04:01 PM
Install MySQL on CentOS 3.4 gives error Azzath Linux - Server 2 05-24-2007 11:59 AM
Mail::ClamAV error on install on CentOS 4.4 waelaltaqi Linux - Server 0 02-19-2007 10:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration