LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Other *NIX
User Name
Password
Other *NIX This forum is for the discussion of any UNIX platform that does not have its own forum. Examples would include HP-UX, IRIX, Darwin, Tru64 and OS X.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #46
choogendyk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Distribution: Solaris 9 & 10, Mac OS X, Ubuntu Server
Posts: 1,197

Rep: Reputation: 105Reputation: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by prushik View Post
I'm sorry. Unfortuantely, I have the flu. I've been pretty miserable for the past few days, I should be getting better soon though.
You should update your OS and get a virus checker.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #47
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,339

Rep: Reputation: 231Reputation: 231Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by choogendyk View Post
You should update your OS and get a virus checker.
LOL
 
Old 10-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #48
fbsduser
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Hackintosh, SlackWare
Posts: 267

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by choogendyk View Post
You should update your OS and get a virus checker.
Or get a better OS in the first place.
 
Old 10-18-2009, 02:49 AM   #49
prushik
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Lubuntu, BetterLinux
Posts: 370

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsduser View Post
Or get a better OS in the first place.
Your comment confuses me. I'm running linux and the point of this thread is to explore the pros and cons of lesser known OS's.
Are you trying to insult my OS (linux), or one of the OS's we've been talking about?
Do you have a better OS to suggest?

btw, I'm still sick, but I'm recovering. I'll try to get something done soon.
 
Old 10-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #50
gomerpyle
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Distribution: Slackware 13.0 64-bit, Slackware 12.2 32-bit
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by prushik View Post
I'll give a brief overview of my opinions:
-Mac blows.
I used old, old, old MacOS a little, didn't like it. Have not tried OSX, don't see a reason to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prushik View Post
-Solaris is not bad, but its applications are limited.
Why do you say applications are limited? You can compile most applications for it. If you're depending on other peoples packages you're limiting your view and choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prushik View Post
-Linux I love, but it has its flaws.
Agreed but not very specific. What are the flaws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prushik View Post
-BSD is very nice, its mostly the same as linux.
Yes it's very nice, no it's not mostly the same as Linux unless you're just talking about what a desktop end-user sees. There are numerous BSD and even they are significantly different from an admin and user perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prushik View Post
So, did I miss any? What does the community think?
Yeah you missed the best most secure, high performing OS known to man, z/OS. And you missed the second best OS, z/VM.

Don't try this at home!

Last edited by gomerpyle; 10-18-2009 at 04:50 AM.
 
Old 10-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #51
choogendyk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Distribution: Solaris 9 & 10, Mac OS X, Ubuntu Server
Posts: 1,197

Rep: Reputation: 105Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
Yeah you missed the best most secure, high performing OS known to man, z/OS. And you missed the second best OS, z/VM.

Don't try this at home!
I think we're talking about things you can try at home, on your x86 based system. Unless, of course, you have an IBM Mainframe at home. A while back, someone tried to build and market an Intel based mainframe emulator that could run z/OS, and IBM sued them http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=196601550, based on patents on z/OS.
 
Old 10-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #52
Mark7
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 with ROX DE
Posts: 192

Rep: Reputation: 32
The Amiga Wars are over.

Peace has broken out

http://www.osnews.com/story/22360/Hy...ssues_Resolved
 
Old 10-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #53
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,339

Rep: Reputation: 231Reputation: 231Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by choogendyk View Post
I think we're talking about things you can try at home, on your x86 based system. Unless, of course, you have an IBM Mainframe at home. A while back, someone tried to build and market an Intel based mainframe emulator that could run z/OS, and IBM sued them http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=196601550, based on patents on z/OS.
IBM is playing dirty now
 
Old 10-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #54
prushik
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Lubuntu, BetterLinux
Posts: 370

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
Why do you say applications are limited? You can compile most applications for it. If you're depending on other peoples packages you're limiting your view and choices.
Well, while it is true that you can compile most linux/unix applications on Solaris and run them, it is not binary compatible with linux, and developers do not release software for Solaris generally. That may not limit applications very much, but it does limit applications more than linux.
I just think that available software is something that could determine how usable an OS is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
Agreed but not very specific. What are the flaws?
This isn't really the place to discuss that, but I will list a few that bother me. Bloat (X, gnome, kernel). Drivers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
Yes it's very nice, no it's not mostly the same as Linux unless you're just talking about what a desktop end-user sees. There are numerous BSD and even they are significantly different from an admin and user perspective.
I know that there are significant differences between BSDs and Linux. But they are both based on unix, and they both run very similar software and work in very similar ways. For the most part they are very similar.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
Yeah you missed the best most secure, high performing OS known to man, z/OS. And you missed the second best OS, z/VM.

Don't try this at home!
I did kind of mean OS's that we can try at home. Something that we can compare to other OS's, like the more common ones.
So that means x86 for the most part. However, I do have a sparc64 laptop that isn't in use, and I'm working on getting a ppc.
 
Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #55
choogendyk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Distribution: Solaris 9 & 10, Mac OS X, Ubuntu Server
Posts: 1,197

Rep: Reputation: 105Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by prushik View Post
Well, while it is true that you can compile most linux/unix applications on Solaris and run them, it is not binary compatible with linux, and developers do not release software for Solaris generally. That may not limit applications very much, but it does limit applications more than linux.
That just doesn't make much sense. Who says they have to be binary compatible? You can get huge numbers of things built as packages for Solaris, if you so choose, from sunfreeware.com and blastwave.org. But, most opensource stuff is intended to be Linux/Unix and can be compiled on Solaris. Your comments reflect lack of familiarity with the Solaris world, and when you say, "developers do not release software for Solaris generally," that is simply uninformed conjecture.
 
Old 10-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #56
prushik
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Lubuntu, BetterLinux
Posts: 370

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by choogendyk View Post
That just doesn't make much sense. Who says they have to be binary compatible? You can get huge numbers of things built as packages for Solaris, if you so choose, from sunfreeware.com and blastwave.org. But, most opensource stuff is intended to be Linux/Unix and can be compiled on Solaris. Your comments reflect lack of familiarity with the Solaris world, and when you say, "developers do not release software for Solaris generally," that is simply uninformed conjecture.
I don't know any companies that release software for Solaris besides Sun. Nobody said it has to be binary compatible with Linux, but it isn't, and therefore, non-opensource programs for linux will not run on Solaris. Many opensource applications will run on Solaris, some will not. Therefore, Solaris has less programs available. Do you want to argue with that? Does Solaris have the same amount or more? No. If you can prove otherwise then do so.
 
Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 AM   #57
synss
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Distribution: Debian, Gentoo, Mac OS X
Posts: 137

Rep: Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by prushik View Post
non-opensource programs for linux will not run on Solaris.
And exactly which programs, available as binaries for Linux, would you like to see ported to Solaris?

Quote:
This isn't really the place to discuss that, but I will list a few that bother me. Bloat (X, gnome, kernel). Drivers.
"Bloat", a nice catch phrase. Now if it would mean anything, that sure could help a little bit: X is indeed big and not very well adapted for desktop use (cannot run as a user and the unnecessary server model), but some people are working on it. Nobody forces you to use gnome, when I have some programming to do, I resort to ratpoison. In what way is the kernel bloated? Don't want this or that module? blacklist it or just do not compile it! In what supporting more material than what you actually have is bloat?
 
Old 10-19-2009, 02:24 AM   #58
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,339

Rep: Reputation: 231Reputation: 231Reputation: 231
the GUI is bloated but the kernel is not
infact the 2.6 kernel boots to bash on 14MB ram
 
Old 10-19-2009, 02:32 AM   #59
prushik
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Lubuntu, BetterLinux
Posts: 370

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by synss View Post
And exactly which programs, available as binaries for Linux, would you like to see ported to Solaris?
I really don't care, I'm not complaining about Solaris, I'm just mentioning a fact that somebody may not like about it. This is for discussing lesser known OS's NOT ARGUING ABOUT THE COMMON ONES!


Quote:
Originally Posted by synss View Post
"Bloat", a nice catch phrase. Now if it would mean anything, that sure could help a little bit: X is indeed big and not very well adapted for desktop use (cannot run as a user and the unnecessary server model), but some people are working on it. Nobody forces you to use gnome, when I have some programming to do, I resort to ratpoison. In what way is the kernel bloated? Don't want this or that module? blacklist it or just do not compile it! In what supporting more material than what you actually have is bloat?
Oh man. Seriously, STOP IT! This is not a debate thread!
It is bloated. In my opinion, "bloat" is the single biggest problem with modern software development. Size of code, size of binary, resource consumption. Linux is a million times better than Windows, I know if I don't say that somebody is going to say "but linux kernel is smaller than windows kernel" and call me a moron. The linux kernel is HUGE, look at the code, tell me how long it takes to compile, it takes 2 hours on my 3 GHz system. It doesn't have to be that big! If you don't believe me, look at KolibriOS or Plan 9 from Bell Labs. Both have ridiculously tiny kernels that are almost as functional. and both of those OS's have GUI's that take almost no space also.







From here on out:
Solaris, OS X, GNU/Linux, and Windows are OFF-LIMITS. THEY ARE NOT OBSCURE! (Hence off-topic)
Non-GNU/Linux is still acceptable.
Also, Mac OS (Pre-OSX) is acceptable since people don't generally use it anymore, and I never tried it.
 
Old 10-19-2009, 04:07 AM   #60
gomerpyle
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Distribution: Slackware 13.0 64-bit, Slackware 12.2 32-bit
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by choogendyk View Post
I think we're talking about things you can try at home, on your x86 based system. Unless, of course, you have an IBM Mainframe at home. A while back, someone tried to build and market an Intel based mainframe emulator that could run z/OS, and IBM sued them http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=196601550, based on patents on z/OS.
There has been an emulator available for a long time called Hercules. IBM hasn't tried to stop it. http://www.hercules-390.org/ Hercules can run every IBM mainframe OS from OS/360 to z/OS and z/VM. Your problem is getting the OS, and....

IBM does get excited when people put out machines with hardware or software emulation and try to sell them to people who licensed IBM OSs because IBM's licensing doesn't allow you to run on those systems without their prior consent. In the past they have licensed two non-mainframe systems to run their mainframe OSs on. Even though they're the best software company I've seen, at their core they are still a hardware company and they like to sell alot of it.

You can run a couple of old, old IBM OSs on Hercules since IBM put them out in the public domain. They have assembler, COBOL, PL/I, FORTRAN and more available.

Last edited by gomerpyle; 10-19-2009 at 04:12 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Obscure or New Distro's out recently?? linus72 Linux - Newbie 5 03-16-2009 11:02 AM
LXer: Security? That's Obscure! LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-24-2008 12:20 AM
What do those obscure user accounts mean? marales314 Linux - General 3 08-16-2007 12:35 AM
Obscure USB-serial adapter ratman96 Linux - Hardware 23 01-06-2007 11:02 PM
gdesklets obscure windows in kahakai BigBadPenguin Linux - Software 9 12-05-2003 03:02 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Other *NIX

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration