LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Mandriva (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/mandriva-30/)
-   -   RPM DB Seems to be Missing (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/mandriva-30/rpm-db-seems-to-be-missing-937590/)

le555 04-01-2012 06:12 PM

RPM DB Seems to be Missing
 
Hello Linux Gurus,

I recently Installed Mandriva 2011 and everything worked well until I tried to do some Updates.

I got the Message :
a fatal error occurred: Couldn't Open RPM DB () at/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.3/rpmdrake/open_db.pm line 74..

I also tried typing : rpm -qip "package.rpm" and got a message than there was no such file as rpm.

Does this mean I lost my rpm file? If so, How can I re-install rpm in my system and what is the procedure and command line?

Thanks in advance for the help.

acid_kewpie 04-02-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

rpm -qip "package.rpm"
this is not correct, you have not installed the RPM, you have installed the package that is INSIDE the RPM file. So you'd run "rpm -qip package" instead.

le555 04-02-2012 01:35 PM

[B]RPM DB Missing[/B]
 
Ok, So how do I install the RPM DB Package ? I Found on line rpm-5.1.9.tar.gz. Cant find 5.12.3 Does it matter the version I use ?


Thanks.

P.S. Still can not do any Updates as of yet.

knudfl 04-02-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

.. how do I install the RPM DB Package ?
No package for "rpm db". The rpm db is created by 'rpm'.


Quote:

I Found on line rpm-5.1.9.tar.gz. Cant find 5.12.3
Does it matter the version I use ?
RPM version 5.3.12 is already installed. ( 5.12.3 is the perl version.)
And please do not replace any system packages with a manually installed alien version.

Which are the commands you have used so far ?

.

le555 04-02-2012 02:36 PM

RPM Missing
 
Commands used so far = None. Quick Reminder : I m a Super Newbie:D

knudfl 04-02-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Couldn't Open RPM DB () at/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.3/rpmdrake/open_db.pm line 74..
Might be an error in the rpmdrake dependencies. ( 'rpmdrake' is the Package Manager.)

Please open a terminal window, and type : 1) su (Then enter your root password.)
2) urpmi rpmdrake
... And watch if any of the rpmdrake "helper packages" are updated.
And check if rpmdrake will work.
Besides all this : I don't know if the Mandriva 2011 updates are consistent.
Using the rpmdrake update functions may brake something ?

I found this http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/man...ke-system.html

Using the command line for package install etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urpmi

.

le555 04-03-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knudfl (Post 4642966)
Might be an error in the rpmdrake dependencies. ( 'rpmdrake' is the Package Manager.)

Please open a terminal window, and type : 1) su (Then enter your root password.)
2) urpmi rpmdrake
... And watch if any of the rpmdrake "helper packages" are updated.
And check if rpmdrake will work.
Besides all this : I don't know if the Mandriva 2011 updates are consistent.
Using the rpmdrake update functions may brake something ?

I found this http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/man...ke-system.html

Using the command line for package install etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urpmi

.
I tried the commands you suggested and this came up : No package named rpmdrake

What Next ???

Thanks for your quick reply

GlennsPref 04-03-2012 09:57 PM

Hi, if you use rpm on the cli, you will need to use the absolute address to the package,
unless you change (cd) to the rpm directory.

In my experience, If perl is broken, your stuffed, kinda like glibc, your system won't work if incomplete or dated versions.

drake rpm requires perl.

My advice is to reinstall from the dvd and don't update perl.

To help you keep perl for as long as possible during updates, put it in the skip list

/etc/urpmi/skip.list
Code:

# Here you can specify the packages that won't be upgraded automatically
# for example, to exclude all apache packages :
# /^apache/
/^kernel/
/^firefox/
/^amarok/

You might also need to check out the drak(e) gui packages,
if they require the new (updated) version of perl you may not install those either.

to update the rpm.db, type (or cut and paste)
Code:

rpm --rebuilddb
regards Glenn

le555 04-04-2012 06:17 PM

[SOLVED] RPM Missing
 
[SOLVED]First, I want to Thank GlennsPref for his help and all the others who contributed to my problem. I was able to resolve this problem by 1) Reading the Installation Guide on the Mandriva website 2) Re-Installing Mandriva in a complete Clean Install. All works well Audio/Video so far all seems Good. I was able to get all the updates and rpm seems to work fine as well.

Thanks again ALL for your precious Help
Greatly Appreciated !

Le555 :D

brunojls 05-01-2017 09:58 AM

About the message "Couldn't Open RPM DB () at/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.3/rpmdrake/open_db.pm line 74.. "
I do theses commands to build yet a new database and all works ok with :
su
rpm --rebuilddb

rootlicense 08-12-2020 02:37 AM

thanks for your post


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.