LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #31
TigerLinux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04
Posts: 1,731

Rep: Reputation: 30

suse is really great,
some rpm can't be installed in mandrake (dependency problem), can be installed easily in suse,
the graphical interface of suse is more beautiful too.
 
Old 10-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #32
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerLinux
suse is really great,
some rpm can't be installed in mandrake (dependency problem), can be installed easily in suse,
the graphical interface of suse is more beautiful too.
All dependency problems can be resolved, you just need to know how to do it. Such problems are avoided if you use the distributions package management tools e.g. urpmi.
 
Old 10-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #33
Mojojo
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: Philadelphia/PA
Distribution: Mint/Debian
Posts: 447

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally posted by reddazz
All dependency problems can be resolved, you just need to know how to do it. Such problems are avoided if you use the distributions package management tools e.g. urpmi.
Have they updated urpmi to 2006. Last I checked all they had was cooker no main,contrib,jpackage. Plus cooker can ruin a perfectly running system right now so I wouldn't reccomend using urpmi right now.Not at least for another week.
 
Old 10-09-2005, 02:55 AM   #34
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Cooker does have main and contrib as well as plf repos. I am still using cooker so don't know if the 2006 repos have been opened up to the public. Personally I don't think they are yet, maybe not until 2006 is released to the general public.
 
Old 10-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #35
KWTm
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Distribution: Kubuntu 14.04 (Dell Linux-preinstalled laptop + 2 other laptops)
Posts: 117

Rep: Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by reddazz
All dependency problems can be resolved, you just need to know how to do it. Such problems are avoided if you use the distributions package management tools e.g. urpmi.
This is something I would love to know about. So far I haven't yet figured out how NOT to have to keep re-installing Mandrake/Mandriva, so maybe you can help me out.

Right now I'm running Mandrake 10.0-oe. I see this great piece of software (but it's only available for Mdk 10.1 and newer!), find the RPM and download it, and say "urpmi /path_to_my_rpms/great-software-for-mdk10.1.rpm". It says, "can't install due to unsatisified dependency: <whatever obscure library>".

So, where's this automatic dependency resolution thing? Why didn't it get what I needed and download that too? Sometimes urpmi is able to do that, and other times it just gives an error message and stops.

I *think* (but am not sure) that it's because the thing it's dependent on is a new version of the library, maybe a major version upgrade, and urpmi won't install it because it might break already-existing software on the computer. The question is, is this a valid concern?

If not, then could I force it to upgrade the library? (I've tried this before on Thac's RPM's, infamous for Mdk10.0 RPM's needing Mdk10.1 libraries which would then break the other software.)

If it *is* a valid concern, then that means if I want to try the newest Nifty_Program, I'll have to upgrade the entire operating system. This takes at least a day (I've been burnt enough times with the "upgrade existing Mdk9.1 to 10.0?" option not to just do a clean install, followed by rebuilding of my machine configuration, etc.) If this is so, then I'm going to jump to a Debian-based system, because the point of my running Linux is so that I don't have to keep upgrading everything just to upgrade one piece of it.



So, I would love to hear how "such problems are avoided if you use the distributions package management tools e.g. urpmi."
 
Old 10-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #36
Mojojo
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: Philadelphia/PA
Distribution: Mint/Debian
Posts: 447

Rep: Reputation: 33
You never told us the file you are trying to install. We can help point you in the right direction. You can always --force an rpm to install but sometimes the program won't work without the dependencies.
 
Old 10-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #37
Mojojo
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: Philadelphia/PA
Distribution: Mint/Debian
Posts: 447

Rep: Reputation: 33
As far as setting up urpmi go here http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
go to the console su and paste the full output that Ezurpmi gives you.
 
Old 10-10-2005, 04:36 AM   #38
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally posted by KWTm
This is something I would love to know about. So far I haven't yet figured out how NOT to have to keep re-installing Mandrake/Mandriva, so maybe you can help me out.

Right now I'm running Mandrake 10.0-oe. I see this great piece of software (but it's only available for Mdk 10.1 and newer!), find the RPM and download it, and say "urpmi /path_to_my_rpms/great-software-for-mdk10.1.rpm". It says, "can't install due to unsatisified dependency: <whatever obscure library>".

So, where's this automatic dependency resolution thing? Why didn't it get what I needed and download that too? Sometimes urpmi is able to do that, and other times it just gives an error message and stops.

I *think* (but am not sure) that it's because the thing it's dependent on is a new version of the library, maybe a major version upgrade, and urpmi won't install it because it might break already-existing software on the computer. The question is, is this a valid concern?

If not, then could I force it to upgrade the library? (I've tried this before on Thac's RPM's, infamous for Mdk10.0 RPM's needing Mdk10.1 libraries which would then break the other software.)

If it *is* a valid concern, then that means if I want to try the newest Nifty_Program, I'll have to upgrade the entire operating system. This takes at least a day (I've been burnt enough times with the "upgrade existing Mdk9.1 to 10.0?" option not to just do a clean install, followed by rebuilding of my machine configuration, etc.) If this is so, then I'm going to jump to a Debian-based system, because the point of my running Linux is so that I don't have to keep upgrading everything just to upgrade one piece of it.



So, I would love to hear how "such problems are avoided if you use the distributions package management tools e.g. urpmi."
If you are running Mandrake 10 and want to install 10.1 packages, then you need to add 10.1 sources to your urpmi sources list so that urpmi can fetch and install newer packages if they are available. As for forcing packages to install, they may not work properly or they may break your system (if they are system packages) if all dependencies are not met. You don't really have to install a new OS to try out new packages, but sometimes it can be the best or easiest way if you are not quite proficient at package management or don't want to take the risk that upgrades can sometimes cause.
 
Old 10-10-2005, 07:11 AM   #39
KWTm
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Distribution: Kubuntu 14.04 (Dell Linux-preinstalled laptop + 2 other laptops)
Posts: 117

Rep: Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by reddazz
If you are running Mandrake 10 and want to install 10.1 packages, then you need to add 10.1 sources to your urpmi sources list so that urpmi can fetch and install newer packages if they are available. As for forcing packages to install, they may not work properly or they may break your system (if they are system packages) if all dependencies are not met. You don't really have to install a new OS to try out new packages, but sometimes it can be the best or easiest way if you are not quite proficient at package management or don't want to take the risk that upgrades can sometimes cause.
Okay, that makes sense. What I'm hearing is that, yes, I do need to upgrade the libraries which are required by a new piece of software that I install (in answer to mojojo: I'm not thinking of any specific piece of software), but if I add the newer version libraries to my sources (using "urpmi.addmedia"), then urpmi should theoretically be able to upgrade my libraries when needed, but not when it's not needed.

Here's a question: when I do upgrade libraries, I seem to find that it generally breaks older applications that rely on an older version of the library. Is this generally true, or have I just been having bad luck? I always thought libraries should be backward compatible, especially when only the minor version numbers are different. Anyone else upgrade libraries and not have a problem?

(To mojojo: I already know about easyurpmi)

Hmm, maybe this discussion belongs in a separate thread since I seem to have derailed the conversation onto a different topic. Oops.

KWTm
 
Old 10-10-2005, 01:21 PM   #40
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Yeah, I think its best to start a new thread to give your questions more exposure.
 
Old 10-11-2005, 07:50 AM   #41
TigerLinux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04
Posts: 1,731

Rep: Reputation: 30
I got mandriva 2006 RC2, do i really need the final release 2006?
 
Old 10-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #42
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerLinux
I got mandriva 2006 RC2, do i really need the final release 2006?
Some packages will have been updated and bugs quashed, so yeah you may need to upgrade to the stable version.
 
Old 10-11-2005, 12:11 PM   #43
TigerLinux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04
Posts: 1,731

Rep: Reputation: 30
But it is not available to the public at this moment.
 
Old 10-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #44
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerLinux
But it is not available to the public at this moment.
Yep, you gotta join the club or wait for a few weeks. i wish they would follow Suses example and just release the isos to everyone at the same time. I know members pay for perks, but this just makes people shy away from Mandriva.
 
Old 10-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #45
registering
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Florida, USA
Distribution: Drake 10.1 Download
Posts: 182

Rep: Reputation: 30
Looks like you can buy 2006 already here:
http://linuxcentral.com/catalog/inde..._code=L000-495
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mandriva 10.1 or Mandriva 2006 RC1 ronlon Mandriva 17 04-17-2006 02:24 AM
mandriva 2006 mohama Mandriva 5 11-09-2005 06:28 PM
Where Mandriva 2006 ? dherve Mandriva 3 11-02-2005 04:32 AM
Mandriva 2006 Al_Khidr Linux - Software 1 10-20-2005 01:18 PM
Where can I get the new Mandriva 2006? jacatone Linux - Software 2 09-16-2005 06:58 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration