LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Mandriva (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/mandriva-30/)
-   -   Lost interrupt (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/mandriva-30/lost-interrupt-215411/)

dwhite 08-09-2004 01:05 PM

Lost interrupt
 
I finally decide to try out Linux, so I've just got a hold of a copy of Mandrake 10 from a mag called Australian Linux Journal. Anyway, during my install, I keep getting these messages on the kernal screen (from pressing [alt - f4] during a text install).

<4>hda: lost interrupt
<4>hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
<4>hda: DMA interrupt

Possibly in that order or not, it just continually scrolls down the screen during the install processes.

Also, it takes forever for things like hardware detection (well over 30 mins) and formatting the partition to happen.

I originally had issues with setting the partition with the mandrake package, so instead, I used a boot-straight-off-the-cd distro of linux with qtparted on it and set up the partions with it, and managed to get through the partition and format section of the mandrake install with the 'use available partion' choice.

Then, the installer for the os just sat there for several hours and did nothing (mind you, the previous run after setting the partitions on the hdd took several hours).

Apparently, that problem is caused by an old distro of the linux kernel, but I'm also told that the one I'm using is 2.6.3, which apparently should have no problems at all.

I suspect either my SATA drive may have something, or I need to get a more up-to-date version of mandrake 10...

Any ideas?

kilgoretrout 08-09-2004 06:46 PM

Long shot here. If you have an ide zip drive connected, try disconnecting it and running the install. I use to get the lost interrupt error with a box that had an ide zip drive. The installer saw it as a hard drive and kept trying to probe it for a partition table and then would just freak.

dwhite 08-10-2004 06:43 AM

Sheesh it was so simple. Just one setting in the bios. :rolleyes:

It turns out that all the things I'd read that related to my problem showed how to fix it if mandrake was already installed. What you need to do is disable the 'ACPI' in the bios and install. Everything runs fine, then. It only took 20 mins to install it in the end :p.

After it's up and running you can change a setting in the LILO bootloader to set ACPI off only when you're loading up linux and still have it enabled in the bios for windows (if you've got it installed as well).

Not sure how to change the bootloader settings yet, but I'll post again when I've worked it out, for reference. :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.