LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
numero7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: mandriva
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question first install of mandriva 2008


hello,
after this first install, i have some questions:
- emacs is not installed?
- firefox and thunderbird are installed. can i install seamonkey?
- windows do not become active nor raised as the cursor goes in front of them: what option must i select in the control center?
- i selected 1 desktop, but i got 4! in what file is this information stored?
 
Old 01-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
jailbait
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Mineral, Virginia
Distribution: Debian 8
Posts: 7,877

Rep: Reputation: 318Reputation: 318Reputation: 318Reputation: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by numero7 View Post
- emacs is not installed?
- firefox and thunderbird are installed. can i install seamonkey?
The gui version of the Mandriva package manager is called RPMDrake. Open RPMDrake by clicking on Mandriva control center -> Software Management -> RPMDrake (Install Software) and see if emacs and seamonkey are on the list of software that you can install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero7 View Post
- windows do not become active nor raised as the cursor goes in front of them: what option must i select in the control center?
In the control center click on Desktops -> Window Behavior. Beside "Policy:" there is a down arrow. Click on the down arrow and select one of the 3 possible mouse focusing rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero7 View Post
- i selected 1 desktop, but i got 4! in what file is this information stored?
In the control center select Desktops -> Multiple Desktops

--------------------------
Steve Stites
 
Old 01-20-2008, 03:48 AM   #3
numero7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: mandriva
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbait View Post
The gui version of the Mandriva package manager is called RPMDrake. Open RPMDrake by clicking on Mandriva control center -> Software Management -> RPMDrake (Install Software) and see if emacs and seamonkey are on the list of software that you can install.



In the control center click on Desktops -> Window Behavior. Beside "Policy:" there is a down arrow. Click on the down arrow and select one of the 3 possible mouse focusing rules.



In the control center select Desktops -> Multiple Desktops

--------------------------
Steve Stites
thank you, but i have already done that.
i'd like to know if it is only on my installation or a bug?
does it work on your mandriva?
 
Old 01-20-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
GlennsPref
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Tweed Heads, Australia
Distribution: Devuan
Posts: 3,415
Blog Entries: 33

Rep: Reputation: 222Reputation: 222Reputation: 222
It works on My install.

Firstly, Have you been able to install seamonkey?

you may need to update your rpm database, easyurpmi is good for that if you haven't done so before.

Second, did you get the focus follows mouse to work?

control center/desktop/window behaviour/focus and
Control center/peripherals/mouse/


Multiple desktops, are found control center/desktop/multiple desktops, as mentioned above.

If you're using compiz the setting may be there instead.

Look through compiz settings manager.

Cheers, Glenn
 
Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
numero7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: mandriva
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennsPref View Post
It works on My install.

Firstly, Have you been able to install seamonkey?
yes, i did. it works!

Quote:
you may need to update your rpm database, easyurpmi is good for that if you haven't done so before.
i updated my packages, but emacs is not listed.

Quote:
Second, did you get the focus follows mouse to work?
no,i didn't.
[
QUOTE]
control center/desktop/window behaviour/focus and
Control center/peripherals/mouse/


Multiple desktops, are found control center/desktop/multiple desktops, as mentioned above.

If you're using compiz the setting may be there instead.

Look through compiz settings manager.

Cheers, Glenn[/QUOTE]
 
Old 01-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
ernie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2001
Location: Toledo, Ohio - USA
Distribution: Mageia 1
Posts: 1,079
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 70
It sounds to me as if you need to set up the Mandriva Internet Software Media Sources. I have written an article on my LQ Blog which may help better explain why you should consider this step.

HTH,

Last edited by ernie; 01-23-2008 at 04:11 PM.
 
Old 01-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
numero7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: mandriva
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
It sounds to me as if you need to set up the Mandriva Internet Software Media Sources. I have written an article on my LQ Blog which may help better explain why you should consider this step.

HTH,
now i got emacs and glibcxx for klibido.
thank you for your help.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mandriva Live CD install 2008 issue tmaleshafske Linux - Desktop 3 01-11-2008 11:36 AM
How to install the Mandriva 2008 aneeshn Linux - Server 1 11-12-2007 01:30 AM
Problem trying to install Mandriva 2008 Tank Jr Mandriva 2 10-25-2007 11:56 PM
LXer: The Perfect Desktop - Mandriva 2008 Free (Mandriva 2008.0) LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-16-2007 07:20 PM
LXer: The Perfect Server - Mandriva 2008 Free (Mandriva 2008.0) LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-11-2007 09:41 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration