LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
dolphans1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: LoneStar
Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu
Posts: 1,039

Rep: Reputation: 34
Failed Installing Mandriva LE


This is day 5 of messing around with Mandrake 10.1 Community that I was upgrading up to Mandriva LE because of the issue I had with kopete.

I did the update as everyone recommended, but it boots up tp a semi black screen with Linux Limited addition on the bottom right corner of screen and I have to login with graphical format.

It calls for:
Mandrakelinux release 10.2 LE
Kernel 2.6.11-6 on ........tty1
localhost login ---
login
password
stan@ local host ]$


I enter my user name and password, but from this point on I am lost. My Nvidia splash screen does not come up and I assume this is the problem. Where do I go from here, can anyone lend a hand?

d-1

Last edited by dolphans1; 06-01-2005 at 12:09 AM.
 
Old 06-01-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Try doing "startx" when you have entered your username and password. Also search in the Mandrake forum for a possible solution because a few other people have had the same problem after doing upgrades.
 
Old 06-01-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
dolphans1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: LoneStar
Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu
Posts: 1,039

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
I entered startx and it says fatal module Nvidia driver not found, failed to load the kernel module ****aborting***** Screens found, but none have usable configuation.

Anyone know what to do?

d-1



Quote:
Originally posted by reddazz
Try doing "startx" when you have entered your username and password. Also search in the Mandrake forum for a possible solution because a few other people have had the same problem after doing upgrades.
 
Old 06-01-2005, 12:41 AM   #4
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Did you uprade your kernel? If you have you will have to reinstall your nvidia driver.
 
Old 06-01-2005, 12:47 AM   #5
dolphans1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: LoneStar
Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu
Posts: 1,039

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
I do not believe I did. I just did an upgrade of Mandriva without formatting like someone suggested.

How do I install it from the command line if possible?

d-1


Quote:
Originally posted by reddazz
Did you uprade your kernel? If you have you will have to reinstall your nvidia driver.
 
Old 06-01-2005, 01:24 AM   #6
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
If you upgraded from one version of Mandriva to another, most likely your kernel was upgraded. To reinstall the nvidia driver[list=1][*]switch to root and do "init 3" (you may get a prompt to login again)[*]change to the directory where you downloaded the nvidia drivers e.g.
Code:
#cd /home/user/downloads/
[*]#./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run[*]#do "init 5" when the drivers have been installed to login graphically.[/list=1]
If you don't haven't downloaded the drivers, you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use the nv driver and then you can "startx" and then download them and install using the instructions above.

Last edited by reddazz; 06-01-2005 at 01:25 AM.
 
Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #7
dolphans1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: LoneStar
Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu
Posts: 1,039

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
Thanks reddazz, what I did (before I read this post late last night) was I reinstalled Mandriva LE and just formated hda6 and Nvidia splash screen comes up now. Now I have to reinstall a lot of things I had before. i.e. Netscape, Java and so forth.

Question? I went to easy urpmi website but there is nothing there for Mandriva LE or Mandrake 10.2, does that mean we can't have easy urpmi?

d-1



Quote:
Originally posted by reddazz
If you upgraded from one version of Mandriva to another, most likely your kernel was upgraded. To reinstall the nvidia driver[list=1][*]switch to root and do "init 3" (you may get a prompt to login again)[*]change to the directory where you downloaded the nvidia drivers e.g.
Code:
#cd /home/user/downloads/
[*]#./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run[*]#do "init 5" when the drivers have been installed to login graphically.[/list=1]
If you don't haven't downloaded the drivers, you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use the nv driver and then you can "startx" and then download them and install using the instructions above.
 
Old 06-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
Easyurpmi has the Mandriva 2005LE repositories listed as just 2005, so yeah you can still use them to install packages on your system.
 
Old 06-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #9
abrooks29
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Tennessee USA
Distribution: CentOS/Solaris(sparc)/Mandriva
Posts: 43

Rep: Reputation: 15
Just a side note d-1....they finally got around to releasing the 10.1 kdenetwork updates today. Kind of a bummer but on the bright side I'm finding 2005 LE to be much better than 10.1. Once you get your issues worked out, I think you'll be happy.
 
Old 06-01-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
dolphans1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: LoneStar
Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu
Posts: 1,039

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
Well get this abrooks after reinstalling Mandriva or actually updating it from Mandrake 10.1 Community. Kopete still will not work.

d-1


Quote:
Originally posted by abrooks29
Just a side note d-1....they finally got around to releasing the 10.1 kdenetwork updates today. Kind of a bummer but on the bright side I'm finding 2005 LE to be much better than 10.1. Once you get your issues worked out, I think you'll be happy.
 
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 AM   #11
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 75
If you are using the community version, point your urpmi repositories to 10.1 official because I am sure that support and updates for community stop when the official version is released (correct me if I am wrong). As for kopete, the msn protocol changed and the KDE devs issued a fix a few days ago, so maybe Mandriva has not yet incorporated this fix into their updates.
 
Old 06-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #12
dolphans1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: LoneStar
Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu
Posts: 1,039

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
With Mandriva now installed I uninstalled kopete with MCC and did a urpmi kopete reinstall and it fixed kopete. I had to uninstall everything associated with kopete.

d-1



Quote:
Originally posted by reddazz
If you are using the community version, point your urpmi repositories to 10.1 official because I am sure that support and updates for community stop when the official version is released (correct me if I am wrong). As for kopete, the msn protocol changed and the KDE devs issued a fix a few days ago, so maybe Mandriva has not yet incorporated this fix into their updates.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mandriva - login failed smagee12 Linux - Newbie 5 10-23-2005 03:24 PM
installing Mandriva fakie_flip Mandriva 1 08-18-2005 01:48 PM
installing mandriva darkraider Conectiva 1 05-01-2005 02:13 AM
cpufreq service failed in Mandrake / Mandriva 10.1 mihanson Linux - General 0 04-19-2005 01:17 AM
Loosing CD Drive while installing Mandrake 9.2 (ldconfig failed or idconfig failed) sjzabel Linux - General 3 02-26-2004 04:35 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration