Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.


  Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
Registered: May 2003
Location: Washington (the State)
Distribution: Ubuntu 8
Posts: 50

Rep: Reputation: 15
Emergency !!

Everything was working. I installed 10.1 last Spring, and upgraded to 2005LE. I did this using urpmi, via mcc. This business is fairly reliant on a php/mysql database I created, along with a central location to serve files from (via samba) and a printer server.

This morning, everything stopped. Someone had troubles printing, so I launched mcc to see what was going on with the print cue. Windows popped up saying it was finishing installation of Apache 2. A few progress bars appeared, as it installed several programs and libraries. Finally, it stopped, and I was able to check out the printer cue, which was empty.

However, apache was no longer able to parse my php scripts (Although will still serves up plain files). When trying to launch mcc, I get a "segmentation fault".
I tried to look at the http2.conf files, but vi won't even work!!! (can't find

I've tried to run urpmi from the command line, but that won't work either!! (Can't locate in @INC (blah blah blah) )

I've rebooted, and noticed that service_harddrake also produces a segmentation fault.

What I want to do is get the iso's for 2005LE or 2006, and perhaps I can upgrade from from them. I really, really don't want to reinstall 10.1.

Any advice as to what to do next will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
Registered: Oct 2000
Location: UK - Frome
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 1,081

Rep: Reputation: 47
From what I can gather your server has installed some packages, either from yourself or some automated process, and has upgraded apache and perl in the process.

I have had your problem with the perl upgrade in that it breaks Mandriva's tools (they are all built and run using perl) due to the location of modules not being available. To get round this you need to remove perl manually using the rpm command and forcing it to uninstall without removing all the dependency packages. Once the new perl is removed you can install the old one from your original installation source. Search the forums for more help, I'm sure I posted somewhere else a while back on this.

If you can get hold of MDV2006 then you may be better off upgrading to that, but depending in the risk involved to the server's productivity then you may be better off backing up your data and starting with a fresh install that works and stopping automatic updates except security ones?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Munich, Germany
Distribution: Opensuse 11.2
Posts: 1,549

Rep: Reputation: 52
So did u upgrade to 2005LE just then before it stopped working? or was it running properly with 2005LE before that? Are any of your partitions full or close to full?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
Registered: May 2003
Location: Washington (the State)
Distribution: Ubuntu 8
Posts: 50

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Originally posted by tkedwards
So did u upgrade to 2005LE just then before it stopped working? or was it running properly with 2005LE before that? Are any of your partitions full or close to full?
I did upgrade, but through mcc's upgrade. That was a few weeks ago.

I was able to download the boot.iso for upgrading to 2006. I spent several hours this weekend upgrading the machine to the latest and greatest. Now, it won't boot up. The system was installed on a 10G raid1 system. One of the first things I did when I had problems was to check that both disks were functional. Now, however, I'm suspecting otherwise.

I don't want to wipe everything and start from scratch. So my only option at this time, is to bring both HDs home, save the information, then reinstall Mandrake 2006. I really, really don't want to do this.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
LQ Newbie
Registered: Oct 2005
Distribution: Mandriva
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
fyi ... fix


For anyone having the problem with VI error saying it can't find, I found that the cause for my problem was that vim-common and vim-enhanced were not installed. I'm not sure which one contained, but after uing Rpmdrake to install both of these, VI worked again.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Emergency help k1ll3r_x Linux - General 2 04-17-2005 07:32 PM
help emergency please AndrewZorn Linux - General 12 04-04-2005 09:28 PM
Emergency - Can't Boot Jaw3000 Linux - Newbie 5 03-13-2004 12:06 PM
Emergency Emergency kodiak Linux - Newbie 6 04-13-2003 12:00 AM
Emergency mikeyt_3333 Linux - General 4 08-26-2001 02:04 PM > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Main Menu
Write for LQ is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration