-   Mandriva (
-   -   Can't get ADSL connection to work (Speedtouch USB) modem (

sleeper_service 03-28-2004 12:37 PM

Can't get ADSL connection to work (Speedtouch USB) modem
I've spent the day searching these forums and the web for help with this issue, and have got much further than I would have done without research - yet I'm still struggling, so I sincerely hope I'm not going over old ground.

I've done a fresh install of Mandrake 9.1, which detected my Thomson Speedtouch USB modem. I was asked to get the mgmt.o file, and with the help of other threads here I've managed to copy it into the correct location (/usr/share/speedtouch/).

After this, I tried to run the file as advised in lots of places, but for some reason I'd either get a "bash:command not known" error if I typed it into the command line, or if I tried double-clicking it from a file browser nothing would happen.

So I pushed on and tried configuring the connection through the Mandrake Control Center wizard, and it seemed to complete configuration successfully.

However, trying to connect through the Control Center doesn't work (I get a connection window which tries, but fails to connect) and asking it to connect on booting up doesn't work.

I suspect something not right in the connection with the modem itself, because when trying the internet sharing wizard it seems that ppp+ is the usual for DSL connections, yet the only one it will let me use is eth0. eth0 is also the device that the connection window seems to be using when trying to connect via the Control Center.

So I don't know if anyone can give any pointers? I'm sorry if my terminology is confusing - I've had to log out of Linux and use my WinXP partition to get a message to this forum, so it's difficult to check what I'm saying. I also know next to nothing about Linux (though I'm doing my best to learn!).


yeah925right 03-28-2004 03:16 PM

I'm having the same problem with a fresh install of Mandrake 10. I posted in another thread, but then decided to search the site. If you search the site for "speedtouch", you'll probably find about another 1000 threads on this topic. What's confusing for me is that there all sorts of different solutions. I'm tired of Windoze, but this is not a good reason to be happy:(

iihay 03-28-2004 05:56 PM

To run that config script you need to type:


rather than just:

I hope this helps, the frog will work, I had it running under Mandrake 8.2 but the setup was very complex in those days and I can't remember how I did it!



Mint Sauce 03-29-2004 06:50 AM

Make sure you've got the bc ggc and make rpm's installed before running that script. :)

sleeper_service 03-31-2004 04:55 AM

Thanks for your help, iihay - I wasn't using ./ to run the script.

I've just had another go after a couple of days away, and things seem a bit more confusing.

I don't seem to have the file /usr/share/speedtouch/ anymore. So I wonder if I had it in the first place. That would explain why it wouldn't run.

Can anybody tell me how I should either start the process over, or else get the script back?

Thanks for your tip, Mint Sauce - how would I check I've got "the bc ggc and make rpm's installed"?

Again, apologies for being slow on the uptake. Once I get the internet connection working, I should be able to learn quicker :)

MunterMan 03-31-2004 05:30 AM

I posted this last night, on this very forum. (By the way, I have NEVER been able to connect to the internet using mcc, I have always had to manually configure the modem)

There is a howto that comes with mandy in
or at least there is in mine.

I got the speedtouch tar from
I just did a make make install and it worked.

To get it working originally in 8.2 took me days. I left this message at mandrake expert;
There are two INCOMPATABLE drivers for the Alcatel SpeedTouch ADSL USB modem. One, from Alcatel, uses and has to be compiled into the kernel. The other one, from Benoit Papillault, doesn't. Reading more than one howto, I ended up trying to install both.
You need speedmgmt.tar.gz from

which you don't install, you only need the micro code, and

I followed the howto, and it still didn't work. At the bullitin board

I found the solution, which was to delete /usr/sbin/speedmgmt (the Alcatel Driver which I installed) off the system. Now, here I am using linux to access the internet via an ADSL modem.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.