LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
Crippled
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: MX Linux 19.2
Posts: 459

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Time setting is off.


I found that when I set the forum time zone to my correct time zone it displays the time 1 hour earlier. I had to select the next later time zone so that the correct time is displayed.
 
Old 08-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
permaroot
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2019
Location: Arden, NC
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled View Post
I found that when I set the forum time zone to my correct time zone it displays the time 1 hour earlier. I had to select the next later time zone so that the correct time is displayed.
But your system time is correct? Not sure if it's part of the issue but are you dual-booting?
 
Old 08-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
Crippled
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: MX Linux 19.2
Posts: 459

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by permaroot View Post
But your system time is correct? Not sure if it's part of the issue but are you dual-booting?
My system time is correct and has nothing to do with this forum's time being off by one hour. No, I am not dual booting. I am single booting Linux mint 19.2 Xfce (64-bit).
 
Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
permaroot
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2019
Location: Arden, NC
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled View Post
My system time is correct and has nothing to do with this forum's time being off by one hour. No, I am not dual booting. I am single booting Linux mint 19.2 Xfce (64-bit).
Just wondering since dual-booting and using local time on one and UTC on another can cause some foolishness. Just trying to help.

Did you check Daylight Savings settings in the LQ settings?

Last edited by permaroot; 08-18-2019 at 11:51 AM.
 
Old 08-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
scasey
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Distribution: CentOS 7.8.2003
Posts: 5,228

Rep: Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled View Post
I found that when I set the forum time zone to my correct time zone it displays the time 1 hour earlier. I had to select the next later time zone so that the correct time is displayed.
I don't mean to sound like a smart-a**, but if the time displayed is not correct, then you've apparently not set the forum time zone to the correct time.
As has been suggested, is the DST setting on, or off, as appropriate, for your time zone and location?

What time zone are you setting?

Last edited by scasey; 08-18-2019 at 12:06 PM.
 
Old 08-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Crippled
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: MX Linux 19.2
Posts: 459

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
I don't mean to sound like a smart-a**, but if the time displayed is not correct, then you've apparently not set the forum time zone to the correct time.
As has been suggested, is the DST setting on, or off, as appropriate, for your time zone and location?
What time zone are you setting?
You are wrong! I had it set to GMT -5:00 Eastern Time which is my time zone and on the forum it's showing 1 hour earlier. In order to get it to show the correct time on the forum I had to set it to GMT -4:00 Atlantic Time.
 
Old 08-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
scasey
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Distribution: CentOS 7.8.2003
Posts: 5,228

Rep: Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled View Post
You are wrong! I had it set to GMT -5:00 Eastern Time which is my time zone and on the forum it's showing 1 hour earlier. In order to get it to show the correct time on the forum I had to set it to GMT -4:00 Atlantic Time.
Again, what is the Daylight Savings setting set to?
 
Old 08-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
permaroot
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2019
Location: Arden, NC
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled View Post
You are wrong! I had it set to GMT -5:00 Eastern Time which is my time zone and on the forum it's showing 1 hour earlier. In order to get it to show the correct time on the forum I had to set it to GMT -4:00 Atlantic Time.
Mine is set to -5:00 Eastern and it works just fine. You never answered about DST setting......
 
Old 08-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
Crippled
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: MX Linux 19.2
Posts: 459

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by permaroot View Post
Just wondering since dual-booting and using local time on one and UTC on another can cause some foolishness. Just trying to help.

Did you check Daylight Savings settings in the LQ settings?
I never dual boot.
 
Old 08-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
Crippled
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: MX Linux 19.2
Posts: 459

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
Again, what is the Daylight Savings setting set to?
I have it set to Automatically detect Daylight Savings.
 
Old 08-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #11
Crippled
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: MX Linux 19.2
Posts: 459

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by permaroot View Post
Mine is set to -5:00 Eastern and it works just fine. You never answered about DST setting......
That's a lie! Blocked for lying!
 
Old 08-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
scasey
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Distribution: CentOS 7.8.2003
Posts: 5,228

Rep: Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled View Post
I have it set to Automatically detect Daylight Savings.
We might then need the site admins to advise how that's done...the automatic part, I mean. I don't see how it could be dependent your client, but maybe it is.

Have you tried setting DST Corrections to "always on" to see if you get the right time? It would help narrow down the issue. Where are you checking the time after you set it in options?

permaroot: What is your DST setting?

I'm in Arizona, so I just turn off the DST altogether and I get the correct time. I just tried automatic and it still displays the correct time.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:49 PM   #13
permaroot
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2019
Location: Arden, NC
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post

permaroot: What is your DST setting?
DST is automatic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E309621F-BDED-4C05-8FD7-A7DA24CB2194.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	31152  
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #14
scasey
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Distribution: CentOS 7.8.2003
Posts: 5,228

Rep: Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by permaroot View Post
DST is automatic
Thanks...
 
Old 08-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #15
Crippled
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: MX Linux 19.2
Posts: 459

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
We might then need the site admins to advise how that's done...the automatic part, I mean. I don't see how it could be dependent your client, but maybe it is.

Have you tried setting DST Corrections to "always on" to see if you get the right time? It would help narrow down the issue. Where are you checking the time after you set it in options?

permaroot: What is your DST setting?

I'm in Arizona, so I just turn off the DST altogether and I get the correct time. I just tried automatic and it still displays the correct time.
You are on to something. When I switch DST from auto to on and set the correct time zone the time shows correctly. This means that the problem is in the auto DST since it's not working correctly as it's throwing off the time by an hour.

Last edited by Crippled; 08-18-2019 at 05:55 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting time and time zone altogether properly in Slack-current, KDE4 spaceballs Slackware 3 04-20-2011 05:15 AM
how to understand user time, sys time, wait time, idle time of CPU guixingyi Linux - Server 1 08-24-2010 10:10 AM
Setting time and date / setting calendar format Kalbadus Linux - Newbie 1 05-15-2010 12:40 AM
Setting System Time: kernel in wrong time zone warrenweiss Linux - General 7 05-15-2004 03:25 PM
PHP last time modified script time way off GabeF Programming 2 11-05-2002 08:05 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration