LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
P5music
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 111

Rep: Reputation: 0
Serious fact happened on another forum regarding LQ user


Hello,
I would like to warn the forum users about a sad occurrence.
I have been followed to another forum. A fake account was created just to answer a question of
mine, similar to one on this forum.

This is the other forum's thread.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2#post13894572

My posts here have been reported but I am right, this person has problems and I called no names to him/her, just said a psychological evidence after this fact.

I suspect also about another account on stackoverflow but whatever, there rules are different.

You are free to inspect my recent threads so you will agree about the similar content and style.
By the way, the person repeated a word I wrote in the other forum, that had not been mentioned here, so showing he/she was the same person.

If you are interested I can show more elements.

I would like to here some opinions from you.

What has to be done here in cases like that?

Last edited by P5music; 10-11-2019 at 12:16 PM.
 
Old 10-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: Currently OpenMandriva. Previously openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,225

Rep: Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5music View Post
Hello,
I would like to warn the forum users about a sad occurrence.
I have been followed to another forum. A fake account was created just to answer a question of
mine, similar to one on this forum.

This is the other forum's thread.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2#post13894572

My posts here have been reported but I am right, this person has problems and I called no names to him/her, just said a psychological evidence after this fact.

I suspect also about another account on stackoverflow but whatever, there rules are different.

You are free to inspect my recent threads so you will agree about the similar content and style.
By the way, the person repeated a word I wrote in the other forum, that had not been mentioned here, so showing he/she was the same person.

If you are interested I can show more elements.

I would like to here some opinions from you.

What has to be done here in cases like that?
In all honesty, looking at the link to Ubuntu forums above, the only thing I can see that's even remotely suspect is that "jimmyrus" joined that forum in October this year. But this in itself does not "prove" that it's someone from LQ (or vice versa) "following you to other forums". I'm not saying it can't happen, probably it has happened to others before, I'm saying this does not "prove" your suspicions. Personally, I think you'd need much harder evidence than that to "prove it".

Either way, I doubt there's much if anything this forum can do if someone is "following you" to a different forum - LQ wouldn't have any control over Ubuntu's forums, or any other forums that are not a part of Jeremy's "Questions Network" of forums.

I must also say that looking at your recent threads here; you seem to not answer valid questions asked about your problems/questions, not accept valid answers given, and abuse those other members responding to your threads that dare to question your answers to their questions. I'm not personally surprised that your last thread to the Programming forum was closed. In that case, another member even more or less wrote you a script, all you had to do was change a few things in it, and from what I read, it would have done exactly what you were asking for. But you abused and threatened other members instead.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
astrogeek
Moderator
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=14, FreeBSD_12{.0|.1}
Posts: 5,248
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 3221Reputation: 3221Reputation: 3221Reputation: 3221Reputation: 3221Reputation: 3221Reputation: 3221Reputation: 3221Reputation: 3221Reputation: 3221Reputation: 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5music View Post
Hello,
I would like to warn the forum users about a sad occurrence.
I have been followed to another forum...
This is the internet, these are public forums. Many, many people participate in multiple forums.

There is nothing "to be done" in either forum other than to try to keep participation of all members within the rules or policies of that forum.

That said, you should not conclude that someone has "followed" you on the basis of a single word or even use of similar phrases or whole paragraphs.

When first encountering a question, many members will perform a quick search to form their response, a search which may well turn up your posts in another forum as the most relevant results. When that happens they may copy and paste all or part of the replies from one forum into another, or simply form their own reply with the other fresh in mind and heavily influenced by that.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 12,774
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5music View Post
The style does seem familiar, as I'm sure many will notice (though some might not want to admit it).

Quote:
By the way, the person repeated a word I wrote in the other forum, that had not been mentioned here, so showing he/she was the same person.
Why aren't you sharing that detail here?

Quote:
What has to be done here in cases like that?
Nothing.
Get over it.
It's only ones and zeros.
Or: ask a moderator here on LQ and there on UF to record the IP addresses of the members you suspect, then, assuming they would agree to that (which of course they won't), you'll have your proof.

All that said, while I see the similarities, I can think of one or two other explanations.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 9,203

Rep: Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029
Is this to follow up on the concern you raised here?

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...0/#post6045357

Anyway... Yeah, sure, it does sound like him, but we don't care. The moderation team here deals with what's on this forum, not what's on the other ones. And it is not against our rules for one member of this Linux forum to have an account on another Linux forum that you happen to also be on.

The exception I've seen is when people try to expand long-term feuds originating elsewhere on the Internet to LQ. That we don't tolerate.

Last edited by dugan; 10-11-2019 at 03:39 PM.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
scasey
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Distribution: CentOS 7.6
Posts: 4,006

Rep: Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Is this to follow up on the concern you raised here?

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...0/#post6045357

Anyway... Yeah, sure, it does sound like him, but we don't care. The moderation team here deals with what's on this forum, not on what's on the other ones. And it is not against our rules for one member to have another account on another forum that you happen to also be on.
I disagree. I don't think that post on the Ubuntu forum sounds like "him" at all.

The OP posted there about the issue they've asked about here a few times, to wit:
I am not happy with the service I'm getting on a free WiFi network. What can I do about it?

That they got the same/similar response there as they've received here only evidences that the advice we've been giving is pretty much the only advice there is to give. To wit:
If you're not happy with the free service, don't use it.

That said, I do agree that we don't care. I, for one, am not interested in "more elements." There's nothing to "warn" us about.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:59 AM   #7
P5music
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for your constructive response.
This is my opionion and some further elements:

Creating a new account whose only activity is answering my question with the same content and style and attitude of LQ posts is sort of enough a proof for me. Take also into account that:

-the user of UbuntuForums talks about the script probably causing the issue, when it is clear that I am searching for a solution by using it, and that the issue is the reason I created the script.
I say "create" because I made it on a text file by means of some cut&paste, some customization, some authoring, it is a very simple script, not worth of multi-thread ranting about its creation (saying false ad unreasonable things by the way) as it happened.

-the person says something false both in LQ and in UF to have an argument

-the UF user says I did not provide some information that I provided about what I am connected to. He/She seems not to read carefully what's written, exactly as in LQ, even when I provide further reasoning, as in LQ. So it's not me not accepting replies.

-the main argument is about how to use forums "correctly", but it's always his opinion.

-the LQ user used the word "stalking" that I used on UF even if now you cannot see it because they put the following post in jail:
Quote:
@jimmyrus
I think you are the same person who is stalking me also in StackOverflow, from LinuxQuestions, with different names and slightly different styles, but I know you.
Stop it.
I can agree on some of your points, but after months of being harassed and seeing that moderators have regards to this person, not intervening, and the other users seeming to watch the threads in amusement, and moreover I did not abuse, simply described what was happening, I think it is not fair let this person exasperate others, and bully also other people that try to answer my posts.

I got on LQ a script for windows from a willing user, without any complaints about how to use the forum, being immediately harassed with the same arguments too.

Some people simply like to help others, I found many of them in the past, so my threads can be ignored, if you want, I do not mind, just I do not want someone spoiling them, just for unmotivated and useless bitterness.

(I did not accepted the DOS shell script answer because I have not tested it yet). And the thread was closed too.
I recently accepted two answers and put the solved flag. But how to accept other threads when the problem is not solved? How to click on "yes, it useful" on those useless, reiterating posts?

Last edited by P5music; 10-14-2019 at 06:03 AM.
 
Old 10-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: Currently OpenMandriva. Previously openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,225

Rep: Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663Reputation: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5music View Post
Thanks for your constructive response.
Who's "constructive response" ?

Quote:
This is my opionion and some further elements:

Creating a new account whose only activity is answering my question with the same content and style and attitude of LQ posts is sort of enough a proof for me. Take also into account that:
...
So basically the purpose of this thread was just to give us your opinion about this so-called "stalker", and since you've already made up your mind, it's therefore "fact" ? It sounds far more like to me that it's happening in your own mind, rather than in something we call reality. Put it this way: if I was believing you in your first post (post #1), I'm really doubting you now with your post above...

Either way, and given what's already been said before; what exactly would you like LQ to do about it ?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Samsonite2010
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 210
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 106Reputation: 106
I guess they may be looking for some moral support rather than any action. If people are hurt by online postings, I suppose the antidote could be online postings of an uplifting variety, but those tend to be few and far between.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:27 AM   #10
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 12,774
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474
re post #7:
Sadly, what you wrote about "the person" applies to any number of internet dwellers, so I still don't see any proof that "the person" is the same here and on UF.
In any case, that's the downside of the much-valued online anonimity and there really isn't anything you can do about it.

I can understand the feeling; but I wouldn't worry too much: other, more helpful users aren't stupid and evtl. recognize that "the person" is not always right.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #11
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Walsall, England, United Kingdom
Distribution: OpenBSD
Posts: 2,345
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 1692Reputation: 1692Reputation: 1692Reputation: 1692Reputation: 1692Reputation: 1692Reputation: 1692Reputation: 1692Reputation: 1692Reputation: 1692Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5music View Post
I have been followed to another forum. A fake account was created just to answer a question of
mine, similar to one on this forum.
I doubt it... you may get similar responses here and elsewhere, due to the content of your threads.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 9,203

Rep: Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029Reputation: 4029
It's obvious that English isn't your first language, so let me clear something up.

"This person is stalking me" is how pretty much anyone would paraphrase your complaint.

The fact that two accounts used the word "stalking" to describe your complaint (which pretty much everyone would say was a complaint about stalking) doesn't mean or prove anything.

Last edited by dugan; 10-15-2019 at 12:20 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
P5music
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
@dugan
So English is neither your first language, as you describe "please do not use your fake alias to answer me there or I will report you" as a complaint about stalking.

Last edited by P5music; 10-16-2019 at 07:41 AM.
 
Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #14
wpeckham
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, Vsido, tinycore, Q4OS
Posts: 3,077

Rep: Reputation: 1338Reputation: 1338Reputation: 1338Reputation: 1338Reputation: 1338Reputation: 1338Reputation: 1338Reputation: 1338Reputation: 1338Reputation: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5music View Post
Hello,
I would like to warn the forum users about a sad occurrence.
I have been followed to another forum. A fake account was created just to answer a question of
mine, similar to one on this forum.

This is the other forum's thread.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2#post13894572

My posts here have been reported but I am right, this person has problems and I called no names to him/her, just said a psychological evidence after this fact.

I suspect also about another account on stackoverflow but whatever, there rules are different.

You are free to inspect my recent threads so you will agree about the similar content and style.
By the way, the person repeated a word I wrote in the other forum, that had not been mentioned here, so showing he/she was the same person.

If you are interested I can show more elements.

I would like to here some opinions from you.

What has to be done here in cases like that?
Can you point to or prove any violation of the rules here? Suspicion is not proof, and even if your suspicion is proven if what you suspect does not violate the rules there may be nothing to be done.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #15
rtmistler
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: MA, USA
Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 8,149
Blog Entries: 13

Rep: Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5music View Post
@dugan
So English is neither your first language, as you describe "please do not use your fake alias to answer me there or I will report you" as a complaint about stalking.
See, I feel what you've said here is bad. It is a direct and negative reaction to someone. Your response here has been to "one up" the other poster.

I've written a lot, and erased it once or twice. What my thoughts all come down to are that you're caring too much to police other persons and the energy you're putting into this is non-productive. For me, if I were to have a self realization that I overdid things, I'd be embarrassed. I have been in the past, sure I will be in the future, but typically I do learn from things like that.
 
4 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: FREAK: Another day, another serious SSL security hole LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-04-2015 11:20 AM
LXer: Serious Sam HD & Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter Will Come To Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-05-2014 10:25 PM
LXer: Do you want a seriousóI mean seriousódeveloper laptop? Then Dell and Ubuntu have the system fo LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-29-2012 04:30 PM
Copying a phpbb3 forum contents to a different forum; no admin access on source forum Maligree General 1 08-11-2008 12:45 PM
Where can I register the fact that i was the first user of linux in my city? econtrolMX LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 2 06-30-2004 03:58 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration