LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #781
mejohnsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 174

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
Yeah -- If any Mods end up being evil here, Jeremy will sure demote or ban them.

Here, we have a much different setup: Over at UF, there not only is more than one Mod but there also is more than one admin, in fact hundreds, which means there's more people in full control. More people with admin privileges means that more people have unchecked power -- power that can lead to corruption.

Here, Jeremy Garcia runs the forum single-handed, and as a result there is only one administrator. And Jeremy is a nice guy, which means that he tells the Mods to be nice. Makes sense now?
Even nice guys are not so nice when they get overworked -- which could easily happen in this forum. Your need to flatter the sole admin like that does not bode well for the future.
 
Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #782
H_TeXMeX_H
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292
On the ignore list you go ...
 
Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #783
widget
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: S.E. Montana
Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE
Posts: 2,628

Rep: Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
On the ignore list you go ...
Sounds like a really GOOD idea.
 
Old 10-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #784
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Summer Midwest USA, Central Illinois, Winter Central Florida
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 13,610
Blog Entries: 34

Rep: Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejohnsn View Post
Even nice guys are not so nice when they get overworked -- which could easily happen in this forum. Your need to flatter the sole admin like that does not bode well for the future.
You really are out there!

Not a constructive post or beneficial to anyone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
Yeah -- If any Mods end up being evil here, Jeremy will sure demote or ban them.

Here, we have a much different setup: Over at UF, there not only is more than one Mod but there also is more than one admin, in fact hundreds, which means there's more people in full control. More people with admin privileges means that more people have unchecked power -- power that can lead to corruption.

Here, Jeremy Garcia runs the forum single-handed, and as a result there is only one administrator. And Jeremy is a nice guy, which means that he tells the Mods to be nice. Makes sense now?
I don't always agree with Kenny_Strawn but his points are fair assessment about LQ. I really don't use UF, I'm unsure of what he speaks about a UF.

'jeremy' is a fair & nice guy. His interaction on LQ is known by knowledgeable users.
 
Old 10-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #785
djsmiley2k
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Location: Coventry, UK
Distribution: Home: Gentoo x86/amd64, Debian ppc. Work: Ubuntu, SuSe, CentOS
Posts: 343
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 72
So your worried that Jeremy will turn evil and destroy us all, condemning our souls for perpetual torment due to the fact we were all part of this?

If you feel so strongly, why not just leave? It's not even like its a walled garden and by leaving you'd loose out on anything - You can still see all the information we have freely.

And how would the rating system mean that Jeremy goes crazy exactly? If you have a problem with there being only one lead admin, maybe take a look around and realize you exist on a world where in reality, every thing is truely led by one person, that one person generally being the head of the military.
 
Old 10-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #786
H_TeXMeX_H
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292
Trust me, he is a troll, just ignore him until he comes up with an answer to previous questions. Hopefully the thread will get back on track.
 
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #787
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Debian Testing
Posts: 19,192
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
As with the vast majority of features on LQ, the usage thereof is entirely voluntary. If you dislike the reputation system simply turn it off or ignore it. As to everything else we do here (except the forums, obviously) use them or don't, enough people find them useful that they are still here.
 
Old 10-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #788
widget
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: S.E. Montana
Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE
Posts: 2,628

Rep: Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
Trust me, he is a troll, just ignore him until he comes up with an answer to previous questions. Hopefully the thread will get back on track.
Even a better idea.

Some folks just have no sense at all.

A rating system is a good idea. It is very hard to have one that works. This, as far as I know, is a new kind of idea.

There is only one way to see if an idea is any good in reality. That is to give it a whack.

If it doesn't work, chalk it up to experience, stop using it and move on.

Try another idea building on the old ones. That is more than good sense. That is the heart of FOSS.

I do not really have a dog in this fight at all with a HUGE rating in this system of 17. I have been a long time member here and on the UFs and some other small Linux forums. Well not all that long but enough to know that some have a better "community" and some have better mods/administrators.

This forum seems to be more stable than others this size.

Part of the reason for this is a tolerance of a certain amount of stupidity with out letting it bet to dominating the discussion.

This thread has been successfully hijacked by one individual. It is time of mature members to quit feeding the ego of this person and move on with intelligent discussion of this experiment.

Some folks just do not have a life and feel the need to troll forums in lew of real attention in real life. This is a shame but leaving their basement is a better cure for this than being encouraged by response to their childish petulance.
 
Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #789
mejohnsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 174

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget View Post
Even a better idea.

Some folks just have no sense at all.

A rating system is a good idea. It is very hard to have one that works. This, as far as I know, is a new kind of idea.

There is only one way to see if an idea is any good in reality. That is to give it a whack.

If it doesn't work, chalk it up to experience, stop using it and move on.

Try another idea building on the old ones. That is more than good sense. That is the heart of FOSS.

I do not really have a dog in this fight at all with a HUGE rating in this system of 17. I have been a long time member here and on the UFs and some other small Linux forums. Well not all that long but enough to know that some have a better "community" and some have better mods/administrators.

This forum seems to be more stable than others this size.

Part of the reason for this is a tolerance of a certain amount of stupidity with out letting it bet to dominating the discussion.

This thread has been successfully hijacked by one individual. It is time of mature members to quit feeding the ego of this person and move on with intelligent discussion of this experiment.

Some folks just do not have a life and feel the need to troll forums in lew of real attention in real life. This is a shame but leaving their basement is a better cure for this than being encouraged by response to their childish petulance.
Some folks know how to spell 'lieu', too. Using words you do not understand does not make your contribution to the conversation look very intelligent.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #790
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Debian Testing
Posts: 19,192
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
If the only thing you disagree with is the spelling of "lieu", then widget must have made a pretty convincing argument.
 
Old 10-09-2010, 02:21 AM   #791
mrmnemo
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Distribution: linux
Posts: 527

Rep: Reputation: 51
mejohnsn,
.
I hate to say this, but, dont be such a johnson. I think we're all here to help and learn. Dang man, must suck being that negative all the time.
 
Old 10-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #792
mejohnsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 174

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierP View Post
If the only thing you disagree with is the spelling of "lieu", then widget must have made a pretty convincing argument.
It is the indecent haste to accept reasoning as fallacious as this that leaves me pessimistic concerning the assessment of the reputation system.

And yes, it is fallacious. Very much so. I disagree with a lot more in that post. I just didn't have to time to deal with it all. You see, contrary to the slanderous accusations flung against me in this thread, I really do not have the time to deal with all the frivolous fallacies the "mind guards" of the reputation system have resorted to in this thread.
 
Old 10-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #793
mejohnsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 174

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget View Post
Even a better idea.

Some folks just have no sense at all.

A rating system is a good idea. It is very hard to have one that works. This, as far as I know, is a new kind of idea.

There is only one way to see if an idea is any good in reality. That is to give it a whack.

If it doesn't work, chalk it up to experience, stop using it and move on.

Try another idea building on the old ones. That is more than good sense. That is the heart of FOSS.

I do not really have a dog in this fight at all with a HUGE rating in this system of 17. I have been a long time member here and on the UFs and some other small Linux forums. Well not all that long but enough to know that some have a better "community" and some have better mods/administrators.

This forum seems to be more stable than others this size.

Part of the reason for this is a tolerance of a certain amount of stupidity with out letting it bet to dominating the discussion.

This thread has been successfully hijacked by one individual. It is time of mature members to quit feeding the ego of this person and move on with intelligent discussion of this experiment.

Some folks just do not have a life and feel the need to troll forums in lew of real attention in real life. This is a shame but leaving their basement is a better cure for this than being encouraged by response to their childish petulance.
Why yes. Some have no sense at all. Such as those who believe as you so glibly assert, that "a rating system is a good idea".

This is so obviously false, I am amazed no one else has called you out on it yet. Obviously not ANY rating system is "a good idea"; it has to be sufficiently good. Less obvious is that contrary to the breezy assertions made in this thread, doing a good rating system is difficult. That is WHY the University of Michigan has a study posted on their website, "Reputation Systems: Facilitating Trust in Internet Transactions", which so boldly contradicts your groupthink saying:

Quote:
Unfortunately, reputation systems confront many complex challenges, many of which yield no easy solutions.
I would have more confidence in the experiment if I saw even the least sign that the proponents and implementers of the system recognized this basic fact. But I do not, so I have less and less confidence the longer this thread drags out.

But in fact, I am the only one in this thread even mentioning the difficulties, and I have had to face the most childish, incompetent, yet hateful criticism for doing so, criticism that even sinks to the shameful slander of calling me a 'troll'.

I am not the only one who knows better than to trust such slanderers with setting another's reputation.
 
Old 10-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #794
mrmnemo
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Distribution: linux
Posts: 527

Rep: Reputation: 51
jesus christ. can you guys close this thread already? its like arguing for the sake of argument. man.
 
Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #795
GazL
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2008
Distribution: CRUX
Posts: 5,548
Blog Entries: 14

Rep: Reputation: 3394Reputation: 3394Reputation: 3394Reputation: 3394Reputation: 3394Reputation: 3394Reputation: 3394Reputation: 3394Reputation: 3394Reputation: 3394Reputation: 3394
One's login name and posting history are what will make/break one's reputation. I think you're getting too obsessed with this silly little score thingy.
I don't believe it can provide anything meaningful either, which is why I've turned it off, but if others want to play with their little green squares, then it's really no skin off my nose. All this drama serves no purpose.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Email reputation mrlinux2000 Linux - Server 4 11-10-2009 06:42 AM
Do you think the reputation system should be used on this site? joeBuffer LQ Suggestions & Feedback 39 09-04-2009 09:10 AM
LQ User Reputation System jeremy LQ Suggestions & Feedback 55 12-10-2008 08:06 AM
Reputation System cs-cam LQ Suggestions & Feedback 45 01-07-2006 10:47 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration