LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #61
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Hiding somewhere on planet Earth.
Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system
Posts: 1,708
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634

Obnoxious, aggressive, off-topic and silly posts are analogous with being raped? Really? Thinking that way would not be taking fora too seriously. It would be not having a connection with reality.

As for the above mentioned Newbie Forum; no moderators are currently logged in? I have never expected any forum to always have moderators logged in. They are volunteers who manage a forum when they have time to do so. So a sub-forum might go one, two or even three hours without a moderator being present? Is that really a problem? Or am I just too laid back?
 
Old 05-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #62
Trihexagonal
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: Land of 1000 Nights
Distribution: FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
It's not about taking the forum "too seriously". And yet again, I've just reported a dupe post and have just checked the "View forum leaders" and guess what? No mod's for the Newbie forum are logged in, therefore at the current time, there was only one mod logged in - not any that mod the Newbie forum. Therefore if the poster was an aggressive one, things could get way out of hand - which creates yet more work for the mod's to have to deal with when they DO login.
That IMO is taking things too seriously.


If you had been witness to the accusations, slander, personal and public threats of legal action I was subjected to over the past couple weeks and recently as yesterday, which I suppose would have involved a court order for INTERPOL breaking my door down and hauling me off to another hemisphere in chains, you would think this petty at most. It's been handled appropriately and I used restraint in the interim.

This is a much larger forum with many more active members. I'm not sure about the staff/client ratio, but what I meant by my earlier wisecrack comment about "Unlike me, not everyone can be everywhere at once" was some people actually have a job, family and a life outside this forum and volunteering their free time to mod it may, at times, come in conflict with their personal life.


Sorry, hunnybunny, keep the fires burning. The Internet needs me.
 
Old 05-26-2018, 12:57 AM   #63
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 14,616
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 4094Reputation: 4094Reputation: 4094Reputation: 4094Reputation: 4094Reputation: 4094Reputation: 4094Reputation: 4094Reputation: 4094Reputation: 4094Reputation: 4094
OP's request seems equivalent to a newbie panicking if they received no replies to their request after a couple of hours.
i think the 24h rule still applies, despite people's attention spans decreasing, because one day is still 24h.
or maybe OP just desires others to have more power (over them)?

but i'll concede that i disagree with the subforum compartmentalisation; i recently felt the need to report a mod, and found out that the mod reported was the only mod who reacted to my report, because it was still on their subforum. that seemed wrong to me. undemocratic. said mod handled the issue admirably, but it could have gone differently.

Last edited by ondoho; 05-26-2018 at 09:05 AM.
 
Old 05-26-2018, 03:13 AM   #64
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Hiding somewhere on planet Earth.
Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system
Posts: 1,708
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
i think the 24h rule still applies, despite people's attention spans decreasing, because one day is still 24h.
Wise words. It is easy to forget that a forum is in reality a message board. People post messages and other people read them when they visit the board later. Although a forum tends to work quicker than a real board, it is still a case of people visiting when they can or need to, including moderators. I agree that a day is a good time frame.
 
Old 05-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #65
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 19
Posts: 6,114
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061
Hell. I get threads of mine sometimes deleted . By outside sources. I lose no sleep over this.

But Then. I never take much of anything too serious.

I was told by another mod/admin on a different Linux forum I had super powers. I don't feel any different?
 
Old 05-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #66
jsbjsb001
Registered User
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: Currently OpenMandriva. Previously openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,440

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihexagonal View Post
That IMO is taking things too seriously.


If you had been witness to the accusations, slander, personal and public threats of legal action I was subjected to over the past couple weeks and recently as yesterday, which I suppose would have involved a court order for INTERPOL breaking my door down and hauling me off to another hemisphere in chains, you would think this petty at most. It's been handled appropriately and I used restraint in the interim...
Sorry for my very late reply, but guess who payed me a visit this morning?

The and I quote "Counter Terrorism & Security Section" of these guys. Why? Because I sent a couple of strongly worded emails to the government. Did I even threaten them with any violence what-so-ever? No, absolutely none - but they took it that way.

So trust me, I think that's far bigger issue, given I've never even been in contact with any "terrorist" group - or even tried contacting any.

So trust me, you ain't the only one that has had "legal" problems - as I'd much prefer a civil case than that...

Just say'n...

(that IS a very true story BTW - they even lined me up against my own wall and took my photo - and gave me their card)

Last edited by jsbjsb001; 05-30-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
 
Old 05-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #67
Trihexagonal
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: Land of 1000 Nights
Distribution: FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
Sorry for my very late reply, but guess who payed me a visit this morning?

The and I quote "Counter Terrorism & Security Section" of these guys. Why? Because I sent a couple of strongly worded emails to the government. Did I even threaten them with any violence what-so-ever? No, absolutely none - but they took it that way.

So trust me, I think that's far bigger issue, given I've never even been in contact with any "terrorist" group - or even tried contacting any.

So trust me, you ain't the only one that has had "legal" problems - as I'd much prefer a civil case than that...

Just say'n...

(that IS a very true story BTW - they even lined me up against my own wall and took my photo - and gave me their card)
I believe you. The guy I was talking about just had issues and made a spectacle of himself over not knowing the definition of the Latin term for MO. I could have forum-flayed him with finesse, but it would only have been picking on him and a further disruption. The mods handled it in their own way in their own time and it worked out for the best.

Beastie is our mascot and once you get 1000 post you obtain Daemon status in our forums, I'm an Aspiring Daemon with over 900 so getting close. I did get one kind word from him in the end:

Quote:
And this guy it's a Daemon. That's the only thing that it's truth, as I see.
If only he knew.


However, with every bit of respect I have, the incident you site is a prime example of how you take things too seriously and let yourself get too worked up. That time you took it too far, obviously. You should know better than that, I don't even say some words on the phone. Now you have a file.

Just chill out a little and don't let things get to you. Step back, take a deep breath and an objective look at everything you've said in this thread. Look at all the stress and strife you've brought on yourself. Does it balance out in your opinion?


When I close my browser this all goes away. I could abandon my Trihexagonal persona today (my family are the only ones who know me by it), use another name (I have several in stock), and vanish. I have before, and I don't need to ask questions to run or maintain my machines.

Personally, I've found it best never get so attached to, or wrapped up in something, that you can't drop it and move on.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:24 PM   #68
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 19
Posts: 6,114
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061Reputation: 3061
Good thing they did not find your attitude adjuster.

Last edited by rokytnji; 05-30-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Keep the heat off
 
Old 05-31-2018, 01:10 AM   #69
jsbjsb001
Registered User
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: Currently OpenMandriva. Previously openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,440

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782Reputation: 1782
Trihexagonal,

I've only given you a very small snippet of the situation and you have concluded based on one forum post that I "took it too far"...

There's a reason courts need proper evidence before they can convict you. I have not even been arrested, furthermore and while I don't think it's a good idea to be going into details about the situation;

* I have every right to state my case in the strongest possible terms - which the police agreed with - I might add.

* The cop said himself and I quote "if we thought you where going to do anything, we would be talking with you in a far different manner" - in other words, something like "put your hands behind your back, you're under arrest" - they didn't.

* There's also a reason they where bending over backwards to be very, very respectful to me - if you actually knew the full story, you would understand what lead to me sending an incompetent government those emails.

* I'm not just talking about one incident - as at least some of the things I was talking about involve them - more precisely - a compliant I made to the police ombudsman, which was upheld and a couple of officers where indeed spoken to about their conduct towards myself - even a lawyer I also spoke to about it also stated and I quote "that's unprofessional and completely inappropriate, so I'm glad you made a complaint about that, well done".

* When I was juvenile, I was far from a "law abiding citizen", so I already DO have a file with them - that never gets deleted. The government already has a photo of me for my drivers license anyway - that was taken the same day, I might add. And while I don't believe there's any guarantees that they won't upload it to some "terrorist database", the cop DID say that "he wanted to take it, so if people asked, he could say this guy (myself) is not a terrorist".

* And he promised to try and help me to boot - even gave the SAME cop a call today explaining that I have some videos I think they should really review - and I intend on showing those videos to them.

So before you think you can judge, get ALL of the facts first - as the fact you have made your own judgement based on very little facts says a lot about you. Not very wise yourself.

The only point to my post above was to say "if you think you're the only one to have legal problems - your not", so just remember that others have such problems themselves instead of acting like your the only one that does.

As I've said to them, I will get justice and the situation will be resolved - so just keep your judgements to yourself please. But I cannot comment any further about the matter just yet - so don't expect a reply anytime soon.

PS: You just remember there's a good reason why I do anything - even if it's not clear to you and while I don't mean to try and brag, I don't pick fights that ain't worth having - and I've got the proof to backup what I'm talking about too. I would not be saying any of what I've said if it were not true.
 
Old 05-31-2018, 04:10 AM   #70
Trihexagonal
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: Land of 1000 Nights
Distribution: FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
Trihexagonal,

I've only given you a very small snippet of the situation and you have concluded based on one forum post that I "took it too far"...
You missed my whole point and I was trying to be as clear and concise as possible.

It's not about your situation with the law, TBH I couldn't care less. I only addressed my "legal" issue to clear things up and because you mentioned it as a civil case.

It was used as an example of an overall pattern:

Quote:
...the incident you site is a prime example of how you take things too seriously and let yourself get too worked up.
That is only indicative of a larger issue and you can't see it. In fact, you avoided it completely to divert attention from it. Not one word was said about your approach to the forums in your lengthy post, and that was my whole point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
As I've said to them, I will get justice and the situation will be resolved - so just keep your judgements to yourself please.
Not judgments. Observations.

But further discourse in this thread on my part would be pointless. Good luck.
 
Old 05-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #71
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,968

Rep: Reputation: 3133Reputation: 3133Reputation: 3133Reputation: 3133Reputation: 3133Reputation: 3133Reputation: 3133Reputation: 3133Reputation: 3133Reputation: 3133Reputation: 3133
Not sure a mod can look at every post.

A few things come to my mind.

One is that members should post in a business like manner. If members are accustomed to many of the online forums where all sorts of things are allowed they may feel confined by LQ. Mods will eventually get to the unfriendly sorts.

The other is that members ought to click on and report when threads get out of hand. It may take a mod a day to get after it but really, don't toss gas onto the thread.

I know that communicating over a thousand miles using only 26 letters can present a problem. It does make it difficult to fully express views and opinions and technical replies.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:08 PM   #72
Trihexagonal
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: Land of 1000 Nights
Distribution: FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
One is that members should post in a business like manner. If members are accustomed to many of the online forums where all sorts of things are allowed they may feel confined by LQ.
I'm sorry. When I want to make a point that I feel coming right out and saying it might possibly be perceived as uncomfortable for the recipient, I employ what I refer to as my "roundabout babble" in hopes they can pick up on it without me having to come right out and say it. I was hesitant to even post to this thread so I might have used it to the extent my point was lost or in places seen as something else entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihexagonal View Post
No, that's the point I was trying to make in my roundabout babble.
I mentioned it before in another post "Here comes my roundabout babble" but don't know which one. It's an evasive form of speech formally known as Circumlocution:

Quote:
circumlocution - Definition of circumlocution
1 : the use of an unnecessarily large number of words to express an idea

had no patience with diplomatic circumlocutions

2 : evasion in speech

circumlocutions concerning what constitutes torture

circumlocutory

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...circumlocution
My delivery technique apparently needs work because it hasn't seemed to work well at all in this application, and why I abandoned it in my last post.

My text is often mistaken to be more harsh than I intend it, not just here and especially when I use a formal style of speech, so I sometimes try to buffer it when I know it's a delicate subject to begin with and will go out of my way to make it known I'm not insulting someone.
 
  


Reply

Tags
global mod, mod, moderating


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: mod.io is a new open API for cross-platform Steam Workshop-like mod support LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-17-2018 03:11 AM
[SOLVED] what is the difference between mdraid09.mod and mdraid09_be.mod in grub ? masuch Linux - Newbie 3 11-06-2012 06:40 PM
yum global repository required sarbjitsingh Linux - Newbie 2 04-07-2010 06:47 PM
conf :Mod rewrite,Mod Jkand virtualhosts ayyappansan Linux - Server 1 10-25-2009 03:10 AM
Apache2 mod vhost_alias - problems with .htaccess mod rewrite d_t_baker Linux - Server 1 08-16-2007 07:32 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration